Adding shocks to a fiver

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Adding shocks to a fiver

This "new to us" fiver is shorty at 27 feet with the axles already flipped. It has the brackets for shocks at the axles, but no shocks and lots of rigs used to have the brackets, but no shocks. Since it sits high, 28" off the ground at the bottom of back bumper, I have been thinking about the wisdom of adding shocks. The kits are in my catalogs and the price is not super bad, but I have never messed with them. Has anyone added shocks to their towable and was it worth the time and money?

The nitwit "tech" who flipped the axle cut the brake leads to the passenger side, a whole other post, so that is my first order of business.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 10-09-2013, 08:24 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have also considered putting shocks on my 5er. Interested to hear from people who have done it.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not know about adding shocks after the fact, but mine came with shocks. I must say that compared to 5er's I have pulled in the past, between the shocks and the Trailair hitch it tows down the road very smoothly.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Chalkie
I do not know about adding shocks after the fact, but mine came with shocks. I must say that compared to 5er's I have pulled in the past, between the shocks and the Trailair hitch it tows down the road very smoothly.
The biggest factor for me is not so much smooth as the five is small and not so great an issue behind the dually, but jacked up so high, it is clear to me that the center of gravity is significantly higher. Much more sway on share curves.

Steve

Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Steve,
Once had a 30 ft Sunnybrook that sat pretty low and dragged the bumper at times. Flipped the axles, no shocks, and did not notice any extra sway.
Shocks should help, but maybe the flip wasn't done correctly? Or the springs are weak?
Normal flips result in a 2" rise, at most 3"--on a short trailer, wouldn't think it would have noticeable sway just because it was higher, but could be the problem.
Joe

Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the new 5er Steve ! Enjoy !
How about a sway bar on your 5er ?!? A takeoff can be had cheap

I do know I drove my new 350 for a week or two before the sway bar came in and cornering was a big difference once installed !

Old 10-09-2013, 02:18 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
No sure I have a problem. Just researching. I needed a project and a testing ground for some stuff I want to try. When work goes to super slow in January and February might head south and close shop until March NASCAR week here.

Steve

Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I added shocks to my Jayco eagle as it already had the brackets and I was getting some bounce. I just measured the distance between the two mounting points and off to my local auto parts store I went. We looked until we found a shock that had about 3 or 4 inches on both sides of my measurement meaning full compression and full extension..

Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 PM
quickshift
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
I added shocks to my Jayco eagle as it already had the brackets and I was getting some bounce. I just measured the distance between the two mounting points and off to my local auto parts store I went. We looked until we found a shock that had about 3 or 4 inches on both sides of my measurement meaning full compression and full extension..
I did the same thing with my 96 Eagle 261RL. If my memory still works correctly LOL I used front shocks from a 59 Vette.....the dimensions were almost identical to the OEM ones from Dexter Axle but less than half the cost and twice as good.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:08 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Okay guys, you added shocks. Was it worth the time and bucks?

Steve

Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech

Steve
I think so as my grocerys don't fly around as much anymore,,

Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 PM
quickshift
Junior User

Steve
.......100%

Old 10-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Some of the guys on the Titanium forum added shocks to their 5ers and have reported back that they made quite a difference in the way the trailers went through the 'oops' bumps, especially at bridge approaches and departures. Mine already has shocks, as had an earlier one plus the 3-TT we had so really don't know what the difference really would be. Monroe makes the standard or retro shock kits for TT/5ers (MONROE® COMMERCIAL VEHICLE :: e-Catalog). Yes, it is well worth the cost, time and effort to keep everything inside where you left it

I did the over/under mod on the previous 30' 5er and it had some tail waggle. I then did it on a 27' TT and it was just fine and handled great. I may do this one that we have as it does sit pretty low with it being close tire-to-underbody but I'm not sure that I want to raise it to near normal bridge height, 13'6" as it already tops 12' at the Aero Vents and $olar panels

Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Some of the guys on the Titanium forum added shocks to their 5ers and have reported back that they made quite a difference in the way the trailers went through the 'oops' bumps, especially at bridge approaches and departures. Mine already has shocks, as had an earlier one plus the 3-TT we had so really don't know what the difference really would be. Monroe makes the standard or retro shock kits for TT/5ers (MONROE® COMMERCIAL VEHICLE :: e-Catalog). Yes, it is well worth the cost, time and effort to keep everything inside where you left it

I did the over/under mod on the previous 30' 5er and it had some tail waggle. I then did it on a 27' TT and it was just fine and handled great. I may do this one that we have as it does sit pretty low with it being close tire-to-underbody but I'm not sure that I want to raise it to near normal bridge height, 13'6" as it already tops 12' at the Aero Vents and $olar panels

Yup, on my service truck I carry an extension ladder and on some of the fivers I have to extend it quite far and on others I have to extend it all the way to just make the edge of the roof! Going off topic for a minute, I have a solar system from our last motor home, I may put on this fiver.

Steve

Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Yup, on my service truck I carry an extension ladder and on some of the fivers I have to extend it quite far and on others I have to extend it all the way to just make the edge of the roof! Going off topic for a minute, I have a solar system from our last motor home, I may put on this fiver.

Steve
I wont use the trailer ladder - too light duty for my 200+ lbs plus I know exactly how it's attached to the 'glass back cap. I usually carry a Werner 13' folding expansion ladder that folds to ~4 feet(like the one sold on TV, but a lot less $$ and stronger)

The solar system works well for dry camping - it at least keeps the two batteries charged better then that dinky panel on the a/c - plus you can use some small appliances through the inverter though it is still only two x 80 watt panels