1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Duraspark ii conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985tullyhowell
oh ,interesting mine (1985,4.9) came stock with 1 cat. air connected to before it but previous owner removed that ... and straight piped it along with carb. removed and 1980 carter yfa put in it place (ran like crap)

are those trucks( yours and son's) California or Canada models? [Both are 49 state versions]

if not some came with them(49state) some didn't

complicated years the 1980-1986/7 ford trucks they did all sorts of ways to curb emissions ect.
See above in red...

Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 PM
1985tullyhowell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok thanks for the heads up interesting

Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 PM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
85' F150 I6: Why can't I use my stock ignition harness, when I convert to DS II (just change distributor/box)?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 AM
1985tullyhowell
Senior User
the computer harness has 10-30 extra wires and NONE of them fit the Duraspark Module here is the 1985 truck wiring diagram

the ECM (engine control module ) and the ignition control module (bolted to the distributor) are way too different connections

the duraspark ii wiring harness is very simple to connect to the existing truck (underdash wiring to under hood plugs you keep)

Old 01-22-2014, 10:25 AM
1985tullyhowell
Senior User
do you have a wiring diagram for your truck ?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM
1985tullyhowell
Senior User
as you can see the EMC has many more wires and connections that never could be hooked up with the Dura spark module or the distributor

here is the duraspark ii set up

Old 01-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
Makes sense. That's the best DS II diagram I've seen yet (simple). Now, 2 or 3 plug Duraspark Module!? Who makes a DS II harness that will work...I can't find a used one anywhere.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:05 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
That makes my HEI conversion look simple. I know the DUI distributor was more expensive but it made things easy.

One wire hookup to distributor and done. (I actually put in a relay to make sure I had full voltage at the distributor). Easy Easy

I had planned on the DSII conversion but couldn't locate an affordable harness and didn't feel like making one, although the connectors are available.

DUI Distributor, Live Wire plug wires, Carter YFA Carburetor. Converted EVAP and EGR to vacuum control and pulled the computer, all the solenoids, and harness. It runs like a dream with no more misses and gobs of power and torque. Much less cluttered under the hood as well, although I do need to clean up the plug wire routing a bit

Old 01-22-2014, 03:49 PM
1985tullyhowell
Senior User
Originally Posted by KsCop
That makes my HEI conversion look simple. I know the DUI distributor was more expensive but it made things easy.

One wire hookup to distributor and done. (I actually put in a relay to make sure I had full voltage at the distributor). Easy Easy

I had planned on the DSII conversion but couldn't locate an affordable harness and didn't feel like making one, although the connectors are available.

DUI Distributor, Live Wire plug wires, Carter YFA Carburetor. Converted EVAP and EGR to vacuum control and pulled the computer, all the solenoids, and harness. It runs like a dream with no more misses and gobs of power and torque. Much less cluttered under the hood as well, although I do need to clean up the plug wire routing a bit

I can get my hands on at least 5 duraspark ii harnesses here locally

$14 a piece

a few v8s and a couple I6es

I wish that I knew that before I got mine on ebay ( for $30 including used blue grommet module )

all in all my conversion (not including carb.) was about 120 bucks with new distributor and module

but there is a good shape used distributor here locally in a ford 300 i6

Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM
1985tullyhowell
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sean_Reno
Makes sense. That's the best DS II diagram I've seen yet (simple). Now, 2 or 3 plug Duraspark Module!? Who makes a DS II harness that will work...I can't find a used one anywhere.

#1. 2 plug ? blue grommet module

#2. cheapest NEW harness is a 130 buck harness from painless

but you can make one using the pig tails at most parts houses

or I can get as mentioned a least 5 of the things , I should get some and test them and have them as spares or something

I got kinda lucky on the only used harness for 30 bucks plus it came with a good used module on ebay

Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
I cant find any I6 DS II Harnesses here (PickNPull or salvage yards). Want to pull and sell me one on ebay

Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by KsCop
That makes my HEI conversion look simple
One wire hookup to distributor and done.
One wire, one relay, an alternate source of full current battery voltage, a few Ford specific harness connectors...

Some people don't have the knowledge, time, resources to get it together.
(believe me, I'm all for simplicity and and robustness! )

I like the idea.
But I also like the idea that if my ignition takes a dump in the middle of godforsaken nowhere I could get home on Sunday with a cheap $35 Autozone module that plugs right in.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:04 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Didn't have to use any Ford specific connectors as I just isolated the one from the old harness. This was actually a very simple conversion. What took the time was figuring out the emissions conversions and chasing carburetor issues and my own dodgy wiring the first time around (I tried to NOT use the relay - bad idea that fouled my plugs really badly. - I finally found a perfect use for my spark plug cleaner..)

I suppose if mine decides to go south in the middle of nowhere, the chances of an Autozone or such being in the area are pretty much nil also (hence the middle of nowhere)

LOL

Old 01-22-2014, 05:35 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm sorry.
I guess I didn't read through your post listing all the various pigtails thoroughly enough.
I thought you had sourced them for your conversion.

I DO appreciate the thought and documentation that went into your thread(s).
And can completely understand the reasoning behind the 'all in one' solution.

There's not a lot of 'nowhere' here in the NYC metro.
In fact, I'd imagine there's not a lot of nowhere from D.C. clear to Boston. (except maybe the N.J. pine barrens)

I just keep a spare box under my seat.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 PM
1985tullyhowell
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sean_Reno
I cant find any I6 DS II Harnesses here (PickNPull or salvage yards). Want to pull and sell me one on ebay
yeah apparently there are very few people around here (where I live )
care about nothing
that once a vehicle stops working or they havn't the time or ....

by by scrap it goes and they get a newish one (chebbie people )

and out there chebbies are in abundance and fords about 30 or so trucks oldies but goodies

very few ford people here and they look at me like

"HAHA he under the hood again its a ford " and I go I'm picking Priuses out of the dang thing I run over them all the time (that an chevy cavilers / sunfires ) man those are dime a dozen

Quick Reply: Duraspark ii conversion help