1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If it say MFT, RUN, don't walk away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it say MFT, RUN, don't walk away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

I've got some choice definitions for the meaning of MFT,
but suffice it to say I am livid...

This tracking issue where it thinks you are 2 or 2 blocks away from where you REALLY are almost caused a wreck today as I was trying to figure out why it was telling me to get off the George Bush Tollway and make three right turns to enter the George Bush Tollway !!!!!!!!! It had my vehicle 2 blocks north of the road I was on and trying to get me back on track !

And of course I was going somewhere I didn't know, was late and depending on the gps to get me there ! The garmin is going back on the dash !

The wife didn't get the pic in time, but it did it again later and she got a pic of it having me ont he wrong side of the road going against traffic and doign some weird routing !

Sorry for the bad pics, but I'm so mad -
well, only little - waht was I expectign - something that worked ?
it's is just a waste of $1000 and the principle of a ford failure...

Come on Ford - I have two non working navs in two 2013 Fords !!! What a MESS !

Attached Images   
Old 09-22-2013, 07:01 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
That's got to be annoying at the very least. Has anyone here (Crystal, Ford in vehicle team, etc.) been able to help? When I read your post I couldn't help but think of this scene from The Office:

Old 09-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
In fairness

I'm now on my third GPS in about 12 years. Each one has improved over the previous unit - but they've all had their quirks.

My current Garmin has - on occasion - been too slow to keep up when there are quick/close turns/ as may be found in-cities.

They've also gotten real cheap. My first one was $700, current one (Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT) $150 at closeout, about two years ago.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most likely this will not be the first nor the last episode you will be having with your GPS . Being there ,done that , now I go thru the GPS-suggested route with zoomed-in/detailed mode , mile- by- mile, looking for an unusual turn /out-of-ordinary routing ,etc. so I can work on it before I leave . Of course this is when I haul the 5'er , since I have no room for error .

I have owned GPS's since mid 1990's when hardly anybody knew of them. Once we got out of the wood during a deer hunting trip ,thanks to GPS, when my compass-map savvy friend tossed the towel .

My wife is also my navigator ,but I have to double-check the route for accuracy ahead of time .
Good luck,

Old 09-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you ever find one in the ditch on the side of the road in northern Michigan, it’s mine. I’m sure it won’t be the last time I throw a GPS out the window...

Old 09-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Why not look at a map before heading out? Seems a lot safer to me than driving Erratically and possibly injuring someone? When I'm driving and see a GPS on someone's window it's a warning for me to keep away from said vehicle. But then again if you need one I guess you need one.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:24 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hated the GPS in our 2009 Ford Flex Limited (especially the fact it cant be operated without pulling over....hello the passenger can set it) & the cost for update's insured i will never buy another factory GPS unit again.
My Garmin works very well & best of all....FREE Lifetime Updates

Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
Why not look at a map before heading out? Seems a lot safer to me than driving Erratically and possibly injuring someone? When I'm driving and see a GPS on someone's window it's a warning for me to keep away from said vehicle. But then again if you need one I guess you need one.
Good advice Jason,
People laugh at me for pre-planning w/an Atlas (habit from driving truck otr) & my wife is an excellent navigator using Atlas.
That's how we do it on big trips & use the GPS for mileage info, traffic info & comparison
Although when iam heading to a business or something i haven't been to before that i decided to go to at the last minute, i do rely on the GPS...

Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
A GPS is a backup for me. I go old school and map where I am going before hand if at all possible. Besides I go a lot a places the maps on GPS are worthless. The GPS just has a way of royally pissing me off most times.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:40 AM
RBlac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not use an encyclopedia instead of the internet? (although probably less bias and more truth this way) The OPs point is taken. GPS has their place for sure, most certainly when traveling in newer busy places, with family etc. Has anyone saying get a map actually driven in the Washington DC area, or in a new busy city/place by one's self? I think the map is more dangerous than a GPS (properly working of course) than speaks its instructions to you.

OP-I hope they get it right, and I'd be hopping mad to pay for the Nav option and get poor results like you have. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
That's the only time I've ever used one. But most times a map is best for me. More than one option is most desirable, so I always have my phone in a pinch. But local driving via GPS? Come on! I drive and work in a 25 mile radius of my city which includes other smaller cities. I prepare for where I'm going and know how to get there before I start driving. Duh!

Old 09-22-2013, 12:40 PM
MX727
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never use that view. I always have the list of directions on the other half of the page and use those for much more accurate navigation. You'd probably be surprised to learn that GPS systems costing hundreds of thousands of dollars used in aviation suffer from map shifts too. I've also had every handheld GPS show me on the wrong side of the road. It's pretty simple when you understand the limits of accuracy with any of these devices. If you expect that one of these will always be able to plot your location within 3 meters, you will continue to be disappointed. Any GPS is a tool, like a crescent wrench, sometimes you have to make adjustments.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:08 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Maps. Written directions. Learn the route before you go. Its what I did 15 years ago and will continue to do and I drive alot. As earlier stated, if I happen to see a driver using GPS I steer clear also. Its too distracting to too many drivers, many of whom will follow it right into the side of a mountain if it said so.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Man, I'd maybe take a look at maps and at least have some idea where you're going before you go. If the GPS makes you miss a turn, just miss it and turn around and try it again. No sense injuring yourself or someone else with edrratic action. I don't know how you think the garmin will be any better, I know my currently up to date garmin in my work truck does the EXACT same thing on some roads that your MFT is doing. Satelite location isn't always perfect, regardless of the device interpreting it.

I never had a vehicle with Nav before my 13 SD, but it works for me. I always look at a map before I go anywhere, just to make sure I have some idea what my plan is.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
2 GPS units and a map for me.
The Pioneer AVIC-Z130 BT I have in the dash is a pile of junk
as far as the GPS goes. So when I travel I also take a Garmin
and so far it has been right when the Pioneer is wrong a lot.
Nothing like being told to turn into an off ramp the wrong
direction into traffic.

AND Yes I have seen some very odd routing with any GPS.
But my newer Garmin learns how I drive and some of the
roads I drive.

Sean

Quick Reply: If it say MFT, RUN, don't walk away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!