Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Map light MOD - No more broken ribbon wires (wow - bright!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Map light MOD - No more broken ribbon wires (wow - bright!)

----------------------
EDIT:

ALL PHOTOS ARE NOW HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yvmj4c9fq...ly6tkB30a?dl=0

Sorry, this thread is so old that photo hosts have changed. I'll see if I can make sure it stays in my dropbox account. You'll need to link the picture to the description, as I think if your to tackle the mod that is the least of your worries. Have a good day.

~Johnny
----------------------

After reading Sian_Sams thread (here), I decided to go one step further. And modify my broken map lights, to something that I've been needing for a long time. Some super bright map lighting!!

Specifically because my ribbon wire has been broken for months, and I've just been neglecting to fix it. But also, because often the projector map light just isn't enough. For example, if I'm using my center console lid to write something. It's still usually too dark for me.

I linked to some of the pictures rather then posting them, to not cloud the thread. If you want to see more of the mod, click on each link to bring up an example picture. I'm also going to use a lot of thumbnails, for the larger picture click on the thumbnail itself

So here's my MOD... and what I used;

PARTS; (shown here)
(2) DDM Tuning, 1157 LED 5W Cree $9.99ea
Direct Link; http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/11...-5W-Cree-White
(1) DDM Tuning, 1.2W 20x16mm panel LED $5.49
Direct Link; http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HighPowerLEDPanel
(2) Autozone, Dorman 2 wire 1157 socket $3.19ea

(LEDs were bought locally, 5min from my house at DDMtuning.com - I normally use SuperBrightLEDs, but patience is not my strong point. Also, DDM took their time and lit each of the LEDs up for me, so I could check their output. A nice touch when shopping for 1156/1157 or 194 type bulbs, or any LED bulb for that matter. I even went back and bought the LED panel after I cracked open the clear light cover to see how much space I had. And after seeing it's performance against other "panel" type LEDs, it was pretty amazing. Ultimately, I saw a spot for a standard dome light - as I think it's always been missing one up front. Glad I went back)

I also had to use some 60second epoxy (to be 100% secure with my 1157 sockets). Obtainable at Napa Auto.

So, I removed the overhead console, and inspected what needed to be MOD'd to get the 1157 bulb sockets into place. Here's the top and bottom of the console (a "Before" picture if you will);

I removed the light reflectors and assembly. They simply click out with a little tab on each one. Be careful not to break it. Here they are removed;

This is what your console is left with at this point;

In fact, remove the ribbon cable and black wire holder at this point. The wires will pull right out of the black holder. Just write down which color serves which side. In my case; Brown was Drivers, Grey was Passenger and Black was ground. Once out, you can toss it;

You'll be left with this;

Once the reflector assemblies are on the bench, you'll need to take some nippers of some sort and clip away a portion of the inner area (what used to hold the old bulb assembly). Of course you've already removed the light bulbs and their bases. Here you see what to cut out and then the center cut out.

Once the center is cut, turn the assembly over and lightly move the little tabs out. Pry them out, and make room for the 1157 socket. Here, I pry them out;

You'll then need to break off the little tabs on the 1157 socket, as shown here (I left three of them, so you can see the difference);

Missing a picture, I've already inserted the bulb into the socket, and slid the socket into the reflector assembly. Here's what it looks like (perfect fit);

Once I was sure the socket and bulb would fit, I epoxied the socket to the reflector;

And because I bought a socket with no ground wire, I had to grind off a tad of the coating on the outer socket sheath and tin it for a ground wire. Here, I've added the ground wire, and tested on the bench;

Happy with the results of it all thus far, I mount the assemblies back into the console, making sure it all fits with plenty of clearance for final assembly;

Almost like it was made for it!

And because I'm not going to be using the bulb in reverse, where it uses the reflector to shine a projector type beam or "pencil" beam... I chose the best LED for the job. Almost like a flashlight.

But because of the problems of not always having enough light on the center console, when I'm using it as a table (who doesn't, right?!), I decided to add this little 1.2W LED panel. It fits perfect with adhesive right where the old black wire connector clipped in;

The panel comes with all kinds of fittings, to plug it into... but, I wanted bare wires. So I used the sacrificial mag light style plug;

Once everything was done, mounted and ready to test... I did just that. Even during the day I've got shadows from these lights. They're SUPER bright. Might be too much for some. It's perfect for me. I'm excited for it to be dark!!

I did a quick wire job with it all, and used bullet connectors in case I had to take it out for some reason... and wired in the little LED Panel to the drivers map light. So, when I want to use the drivers map light the LED Panel comes on too. However, NOT with the passenger map light.

Here, it's complete and ready for install;

Here it's installed, and without the clear plastic cover (only the drivers and panel LEDs on);

Passenger LED on;

Cover on, with drivers and panel LED;

Cover, and Passenger LED on;

Now do what I loved to do... and THROW THIS CRAP AWAY!

I hope you all enjoy the MOD, and get it done yourself. I'd say it only took me a couple hours. And in the timeframe, fielded some calls and talked to the neighbor. A very simple job (again, thanks to Sian_Sam for starting me down this road) with a small set of tools gets it done.

HAVE FUN!!

Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
JA, nice upgrade. Gonna add this to the Tech Folder.

Just FYI, the thread you linked to was authored by Sian_Sam, not Cobra350.

Stewart

Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
JA, nice upgrade. Gonna add this to the Tech Folder.
Stewart
Awesome! ... and yes, fixed the info (I was doing a few updates at one time. DOH)

I've got to say... I tested the map/dome lights already in the "almost" dark. It's like daylight in the front seats, and over the console. I love it!!

EDIT:
And I just tested them in the dark of night. Really glad I added the panel LED. It fills in over the console and rear cup holder very well. And glad I dedicated it to the drivers map light. As I rarely use the map light when driving, and if I did then the lights would definitely glare off the window and driver door window too much to be safe.

The 5W LEDs are super bright, and honestly... do, make it like daylight. But in a white color (rather then the stock yellow color from the filament bulbs), which I like as all my other festoons are LED and white.

I thought the passenger might be too bright. But all in all, I think it's perfect. Not a whole lot of light makes it past the center console towards the driver, but the dash and entire seat are lit up on the pass side very well. I don't think it's too much glare off the windshield yet... but, time will tell.

... now onto other projects. I've got an RV that I'm getting ready for desert season. Woo Hoo!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:35 AM
OleIrish
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Map light mod

Johnny Air time can you explain how the mod is all wired up please.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
That is awesome... one question, is there a way to make the pictures larger?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:08 PM
ycis
Senior User
id kill for just a replacement "cover" that was solid/soft white.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
After reading Sian_Sams thread (here), I decided to go one step further. And modify my broken map lights, to something that I've been needing for a long time. Some super bright map lighting!!

Specifically because my ribbon wire has been broken for months, and I've just been neglecting to fix it. But also, because often the projector map light just isn't enough. For example, if I'm using my center console lid to write something. It's still usually too dark for me.

I linked to some of the pictures rather then posting them, to not cloud the thread. If you want to see more of the mod, click on each link to bring up an example picture. I'm also going to use a lot of thumbnails, for the larger picture click on the thumbnail itself

So here's my MOD... and what I used;

PARTS; (shown here)
(2) DDM Tuning, 1157 LED 5W Cree $9.99ea
Direct Link; http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/11...-5W-Cree-White
(1) DDM Tuning, 1.2W 20x16mm panel LED $5.49
Direct Link; http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HighPowerLEDPanel
(2) Autozone, Dorman 2 wire 1157 socket $3.19ea

(LEDs were bought locally, 5min from my house at DDMtuning.com - I normally use SuperBrightLEDs, but patience is not my strong point. Also, DDM took their time and lit each of the LEDs up for me, so I could check their output. A nice touch when shopping for 1156/1157 or 194 type bulbs, or any LED bulb for that matter. I even went back and bought the LED panel after I cracked open the clear light cover to see how much space I had. And after seeing it's performance against other "panel" type LEDs, it was pretty amazing. Ultimately, I saw a spot for a standard dome light - as I think it's always been missing one up front. Glad I went back)

I also had to use some 60second epoxy (to be 100% secure with my 1157 sockets). Obtainable at Napa Auto.

So, I removed the overhead console, and inspected what needed to be MOD'd to get the 1157 bulb sockets into place. Here's the top and bottom of the console (a "Before" picture if you will);

I removed the light reflectors and assembly. They simply click out with a little tab on each one. Be careful not to break it. Here they are removed;

This is what your console is left with at this point;

In fact, remove the ribbon cable and black wire holder at this point. The wires will pull right out of the black holder. Just write down which color serves which side. In my case; Brown was Drivers, Grey was Passenger and Black was ground. Once out, you can toss it;

You'll be left with this;

Once the reflector assemblies are on the bench, you'll need to take some nippers of some sort and clip away a portion of the inner area (what used to hold the old bulb assembly). Of course you've already removed the light bulbs and their bases. Here you see what to cut out and then the center cut out.

Once the center is cut, turn the assembly over and lightly move the little tabs out. Pry them out, and make room for the 1157 socket. Here, I pry them out;

You'll then need to break off the little tabs on the 1157 socket, as shown here (I left three of them, so you can see the difference);

Missing a picture, I've already inserted the bulb into the socket, and slid the socket into the reflector assembly. Here's what it looks like (perfect fit);

Once I was sure the socket and bulb would fit, I epoxied the socket to the reflector;

And because I bought a socket with no ground wire, I had to grind off a tad of the coating on the outer socket sheath and tin it for a ground wire. Here, I've added the ground wire, and tested on the bench;

Happy with the results of it all thus far, I mount the assemblies back into the console, making sure it all fits with plenty of clearance for final assembly;

Almost like it was made for it!

And because I'm not going to be using the bulb in reverse, where it uses the reflector to shine a projector type beam or "pencil" beam... I chose the best LED for the job. Almost like a flashlight.

But because of the problems of not always having enough light on the center console, when I'm using it as a table (who doesn't, right?!), I decided to add this little 1.2W LED panel. It fits perfect with adhesive right where the old black wire connector clipped in;

The panel comes with all kinds of fittings, to plug it into... but, I wanted bare wires. So I used the sacrificial mag light style plug;

Once everything was done, mounted and ready to test... I did just that. Even during the day I've got shadows from these lights. They're SUPER bright. Might be too much for some. It's perfect for me. I'm excited for it to be dark!!

I did a quick wire job with it all, and used bullet connectors in case I had to take it out for some reason... and wired in the little LED Panel to the drivers map light. So, when I want to use the drivers map light the LED Panel comes on too. However, NOT with the passenger map light.

Here, it's complete and ready for install;

Here it's installed, and without the clear plastic cover (only the drivers and panel LEDs on);

Passenger LED on;

Cover on, with drivers and panel LED;

Cover, and Passenger LED on;

Now do what I loved to do... and THROW THIS CRAP AWAY!

I hope you all enjoy the MOD, and get it done yourself. I'd say it only took me a couple hours. And in the timeframe, fielded some calls and talked to the neighbor. A very simple job (again, thanks to Sian_Sam for starting me down this road) with a small set of tools gets it done.

HAVE FUN!!
Would have repped with bigger pictures.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:10 PM
ycis
Senior User
if you click the pictures it displays the larger size

Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
That is awesome... one question, is there a way to make the pictures larger?
Originally Posted by EXv10
Would have repped with bigger pictures.
As ycis posted, click the pic and you'll get the larger size pic on his Photobucket account.

Stewart

Old 05-27-2014, 09:10 PM
X_MarksTheScott
New User
Dome & Map Light replacement

Johnny Airtime,
I did everything but ground the 85803 socket. Tested continuity and I don't have a tone and can't test power with battery. Is this because I have not added ground? Where did you connect other end of ground wire? My harness is slightly different as it is a '97 Explorer. Help?
Thanks,
Scott D.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:13 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by ycis
if you click the pictures it displays the larger size
thanks for letting them know... i rarely check back for comments/questions

Old 12-08-2018, 07:04 AM
Roland Advincula
New User
Wiring

The ribbon circuit is gone. Id like to instll two led bulb . How do i wire them? Left and right. Will theybwork when doors re open and withthe switches

Old 12-08-2018, 10:42 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by Roland Advincula

The ribbon circuit is gone. Id like to instll two led bulb . How do i wire them? Left and right. Will theybwork when doors re open and withthe switches
Originally Posted by Johnnyairtime
........... write down which color serves which side. In my case; Brown was Drivers, Grey was Passenger and Black was ground.
All the info is in the original post

Old 12-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Roland Advincula
You're asking how to wire the connector, in a thread that explains how to wire the connector?

Stewart

Old 01-02-2019, 07:19 PM
landk00
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Overhead console light issue

Did this get added to the tech folder. if so where? Cannot enlarge the pictures. Also, is there any other recommendations on resolving the light problem when the electrical ribbon is broken???

Quick Reply: Map light MOD - No more broken ribbon wires (wow - bright!)