1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

looking at a 97 powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:14 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think pound for pound you still have me beat in terms of efficiency, Glenn.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
That's kind of neat your mpg's are so close between the two over the last two years Glenn. I honestly got 20 with mine if I drove 55-60 before my last mods, gear swaps, etc. I got 2 better towing too, but I always had to back out of it for egts. Now, I'm just like you, I spent the money, I'm gonna work it as hard as it will take! Just gotta get my studs in this winter so I can push it even a little more if needed!

Old 09-23-2013, 07:47 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I think pound for pound you still have me beat in terms of efficiency, Glenn.
I know it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not. Another reason I just let it go pulling, especially if I'm using the cruise, its pure entertainment to me. Its like going to the movies and watching all the gauges jump into action. OK, OK, put me in a straight jacket in a padded room,

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
That's kind of neat your mpg's are so close between the two over the last two years Glenn. I honestly got 20 with mine if I drove 55-60 before my last mods, gear swaps, etc. I got 2 better towing too, but I always had to back out of it for egts. Now, I'm just like you, I spent the money, I'm gonna work it as hard as it will take! Just gotta get my studs in this winter so I can push it even a little more if needed!
Yeah, it is pretty interesting. For four or five years before these last two years of record keeping I didn't want to know, LOL. When you put it down on paper it tells a story. Sound proofing, sound proofing and more sound proofing will be my mods this winter. Behind the dash, doors, ceiling, floor and under the hood. I might even have it undercoated, not that I'm worried about rust but it would help the noise.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 PM
srpservices
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i plan on pulling a 4 place snowmobile trailer with mine. was hoping for 14 0r 15 mpg's. from the sounds that might not be. lol

i don't see anything else to hook that linkage to. wire was unplugged. so i take it if its unplugged it should be normally open right??
just don't like it stickin out there doing nothing. can u get a pedestal off something else that doesn't have the valve in it?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I know it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not. Another reason I just let it go pulling, especially if I'm using the cruise, its pure entertainment to me. Its like going to the movies and watching all the gauges jump into action. OK, OK, put me in a straight jacket in a padded room,

Yeah, it is pretty interesting. For four or five years before these last two years of record keeping I didn't want to know, LOL. When you put it down on paper it tells a story. Sound proofing, sound proofing and more sound proofing will be my mods this winter. Behind the dash, doors, ceiling, floor and under the hood. I might even have it undercoated, not that I'm worried about rust but it would help the noise.
I would do a layer of bedliner on the floor, then a dynamat type substance and then jute and then carpet. I bet that would really help. Plus the coozie mod, and door seal mod.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:37 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by glovemeister
I would do a layer of bedliner on the floor, then a dynamat type substance and then jute and then carpet. I bet that would really help. Plus the coozie mod, and door seal mod.
I have already done the dynamat on the floor. I was thinking about new carpet, is the jute like a carpet pad? What is the coozie mod and door seal mod?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:57 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by srpservices
i plan on pulling a 4 place snowmobile trailer with mine. was hoping for 14 0r 15 mpg's. from the sounds that might not be. lol

i don't see anything else to hook that linkage to. wire was unplugged. so i take it if its unplugged it should be normally open right??
just don't like it stickin out there doing nothing. can u get a pedestal off something else that doesn't have the valve in it?
There are aftermarket pedistals that don't have the built in actuator. You also can take you pedistal apart and have an Al welding shop weld the hole closed.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 377 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
There are aftermarket pedistals that don't have the built in actuator. You also can take you pedistal apart and have an Al welding shop weld the hole closed.
I have read that the pedestal is a real PITA to get off. Is this true? I am guessing what you just described is what I see the little puffs of exhaust coming out of? My next question is..why in the world would someone do it this way?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing that the little puffs of smoke you're seeing are coming from a leak in one of your up-pipes. And yeah, pulling the pedestal can be a real chore. It's not impossible, but the first time you do it, it will take a while. I don't really see any issue with the actuator rod being the way it is. It's unhooked and as long as the EBPV is either gutted or wired open, you should be good to go. Especially living in CA (it's not like you need the low temperature help).

Old 09-24-2013, 01:53 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I have already done the dynamat on the floor. I was thinking about new carpet, is the jute like a carpet pad? What is the coozie mod and door seal mod?
I have a friend that works for the German company that supplies BMW and maybe Mercedes with their soundproofing materials. I have a bunch of sheets of the stuff in the garage but have never put it in. He said you don't put down a whole layer, just some pieces in certain places and it "captures" the noise. It's a 1/4" thick semi-flexible material. Has sticky on one side. I'll ask him about it and try it out. Maybe send you some if you want.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Well Glenn, after my ride home sunday I'm almost thinking of moving my exhaust exit to the stock location instead of ahead of the rear tire. It was real loud with the windows down on the interstate. I like it loud, but man that ride was noisy!

I wonder how much quieter the cab would be if I moved it back?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,912 Likes on 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Well Glenn, after my ride home sunday I'm almost thinking of moving my exhaust exit to the stock location instead of ahead of the rear tire. It was real loud with the windows down on the interstate. I like it loud, but man that ride was noisy!

I wonder how much quieter the cab would be if I moved it back?
if God would have wanted a quit diesel he wouldn't have given someone the idea to invent ear plugs.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 377 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I'm guessing that the little puffs of smoke you're seeing are coming from a leak in one of your up-pipes. And yeah, pulling the pedestal can be a real chore. It's not impossible, but the first time you do it, it will take a while. I don't really see any issue with the actuator rod being the way it is. It's unhooked and as long as the EBPV is either gutted or wired open, you should be good to go. Especially living in CA (it's not like you need the low temperature help).
Well great. I have heard the up-pipe gaskets are a real PITA too...ah well. I'll have to crawl under it tonight and have a look. Hopefully they aren't rusted through or something like that. I feel dumb now...didn't even think abotu those leaking. I bet I am losing a good amount of boost.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by helifixer
if God would have wanted a quit diesel he wouldn't have given someone the idea to invent ear plugs.
I gotta agree, I do like it loud, but this was almost too much for a long time. If I can get another oil cooler on I'll be able to keep temps down better and leave the windows up and ac on. Then I won't have to worry about it.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 PM
srpservices
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wonder how much an after market pedestal is?
so should the linkage be pushed in n wired or pulled out n wired or just left alone. don't know how to tell if its gutted. take the snap ring off n pull the guts out??
I also think the puffs of exhaust are coming from my up pipe leakin a lil.

Quick Reply: looking at a 97 powerstroke