6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Diesel Mom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Loss

My truck has power loss, it's loosing power for about a minute then picks up like it never happened. I thought maybe it was fuel filters, but I changed them three days ago and it's still doing it. It does not do it every day some days it does other days it doesn't. Any Info? And could a bad o-ring to the turbo cause this?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,464 Likes on 2,129 Posts
Why do you ask about the turbo, did something happen? If the turbo lacks boost, you would fog out 5 lanes of traffic in rush hour with black smoke. Can you read codes?

Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel Mom
My truck has power loss, it's loosing power for about a minute then picks up like it never happened. I thought maybe it was fuel filters, but I changed them three days ago and it's still doing it. It does not do it every day some days it does other days it doesn't. Any Info? And could a bad o-ring to the turbo cause this?
What is your fuel pressure reading?

Mine was doing something similar. The problem is that I did a few things to mine so I don't know which one fixed it. The CAC boots were all loose on mine. From a dead stop, I was suffering from power loss. Torqued the boots down to 9ft. lbs. Then I pulled and cleaned the EGR valve thoroughly with a brush and carb cleaner and replaced the o-rings and gasket. Problem hasn't come back. *fingers crossed*

Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Diesel Mom
New User
Well it was doing it before we changed the filters and it was running better, but the power loss is still their. I was told a tube to the turbo is leaking? I'm not sure if it's the supply tube or the drain tube. Ans yeah I can.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Diesel Mom
New User
Every thing is running like normal, all temperatures are the same as usual.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,464 Likes on 2,129 Posts
A torn or worn inter-cooler boot, losing boost, would not be intermittent. Check codes and see if the EGR comes up as a possibility.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Diesel Mom
New User
Alrighty, will do

Old 08-27-2013, 03:01 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
When you changed the filter down on the rail (hfcm) did you drain the water sep? also my guess would be sooted EGR, its real easy to pull and clean. use carb cleaner and a plumbers flux brush Oh and ware your safety glasses that stuff burns like

Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Diesel Mom
New User
I also believe it is the EGR. I might pull it and clean it tonight. Would an 100 degree increase in EGT temp have anything to do with the EGR being plugged? And the filter on the frame was a b**** to get off so a friend of mine did that one, we guessed they hadn't been changed in at least a year or more. The filters were coal black, and the way they were locked on also hinted it. I was told by a fellow 6.0 owner that he was surprised it even ran. I was told it could be a turbo lag, but it's never done it before the turbo surges or barks easy and that's the only thing I've had turbo wise, I was told 6.0's are notorious for it though. I am going to clean the EGR and will update you guys on what it does.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Diesel Mom
New User
What if I just pulled the EGR off and left it off? would this hurt anything besides the check engine light coming on? Or would it be best to put a delete kit on it?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
On an 05, you'll need to reprogram or keep the egr valve plugged in. Otherwise you will throw a code.

I highly recommend an egr delete. Coolant goes from the oil cooler to the egr cooler. So you can't really just remove the egr cooler without somehow routing the coolant from the oil cooler back to the radiator. There are also the exhaust inlets and outlets that need to be blocked off.

There are egr delete kits you can use. My 04 has the exhaust inlet to, and exhaust outlet from, the egr welded shut. You can't tell its been deleted. The welds must be good quality. Now my egr cooler is a big coolant pipe.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 AM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
I believe you can unplug it just to test it out. I have read on here that the EGR also controls the fan? Don't know how true that is, but if so, then you can't really just remove it permanently without doing other work. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

When you clean it, AVOID getting cleaner in the 2 holes at the base of the upper valve(Shinny round part) Those holes lead to the upper valve and can damage the valve. Also, be careful removing it that you don't bend the ears. You can't just pull up on it, you have to have the correct tools. Some people use small crow bars on each side, others have had luck with twisting and pulling up. I used small prybars for mine on each side (avoiding the ears).

These are the instructions I used when I cleaned mine:

6.0L EGR Maintenance and Cleaning (Write-Up) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Diesel Mom
New User
Well I was told you can just put a block plate on and it'll be fine so I don't know. For right now I'll probably just clean it and then take it to efleece or Schied, local diesel shops, to get it deleted. And I did my research and read that, trust me I took notes! Haha. Now is it located on the top of the engine? Or is it somewhere else? I couldnt find anything on that.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
You can just put a block plate over the hole where it feeds the exhaust into the intake and seal both sides of that plate. But I don't think the egr chamber will fit back on the truck. If it would, you would dead head the exhaust into the egr chamber. I guess that won't hurt anything as long as the egr chamber is not damaged, but a delete is soooooo much better.

I guess you could also put a block plate where the exhaust feeds into the egr. I think that would work as long as up pipe and egr is sealed against exhaust / intake leaks. The up pipe may have enough flexibility to allow that. If so, it would work. There's just not many people who have done it that way.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:45 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Location: top of engine at front of the intake. Behind the cooled air return feed into the intake (4" I think metal elbow turning from drivers side down into intake)

Quick Reply: Power Loss