6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

ARP head stud questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Green96
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
ARP head stud questions

I have just recently purchased my first Super Duty. A 2006 F350 SRW crew cab with the 6.0 and an automatic trans. The truck only has 51,000 miles on so far with no issues but I have been thinking of doing some preventative maintenance. I want to add a coolant filter, complete an egr delete, and have been thinking of head studs. My question is if I do the studs do I need to change the head gaskets, even if there are not any problems? Can I just replace a bolt at a time with a stud? I have also heard of some removing the cab to get access. Is this mandatory? Lastly I want to do a turbo back exhaust, perhaps a mbrp, or do you have any recommendations?

Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep hearing people wanting to do this, but why? If your head studs are holding up, why replace them. I'd like to know. I have 174,430 miles on my truck now. Stock everything. Just wondering why anyone recommends replacing before there is an issue.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, you can install studs one at a time without replacing gaskets. Yes you can do it with the cab on.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Lx460
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 99ExpyProblems
I keep hearing people wanting to do this, but why? If your head studs are holding up, why replace them. I'd like to know. I have 174,430 miles on my truck now. Stock everything. Just wondering why anyone recommends replacing before there is an issue.
I agree...

Why spend $500 for nothing? Especially with only 50k on it. Buy a coolant filter, do a flush and a scan gauge and drive it.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:13 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,787 Posts
A lot of times people have coolant puking and when they have the engine torn down they find that they have fairly heavy corrosion on the head and block surfaces. That indicates that they have had a small leak for quite some time before the issue got big enough to puke, etc.

I would want to watch the degas bottle pressure, and also to monitor the temperature differential (EOT-ECT) on the oil cooler, before making a decision on head stids being installed one-at-a-time. These are no guarantees. but doing head studs one-at-a-time is taking a risk (so is adding hp, but clearly it is worth it to many of us!). No doubt people have done it and have apparently had success, but not too many people have posted up their "miles driven" after a one-at-a-time install.

Like others above - what is your goal here? More hp? More reliability?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:36 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Anybody find any data showing that the ARP studs are stronger than TTY bolts that are properly installed?

Old 08-27-2013, 06:20 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jsm180
Anybody find any data showing that the ARP studs are stronger than TTY bolts that are properly installed?
I don't have the tensile strength for the TTY bolts but I know that the ARP's is something like 210,000. I also know the ARP's are reusable.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,787 Posts
Old 08-27-2013, 08:17 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
A lot of times people have coolant puking and when they have the engine torn down they find that they have fairly heavy corrosion on the head and block surfaces. That indicates that they have had a small leak for quite some time before the issue got big enough to puke, etc.

I would want to watch the degas bottle pressure, and also to monitor the temperature differential (EOT-ECT) on the oil cooler, before making a decision on head stids being installed one-at-a-time. These are no guarantees. but doing head studs one-at-a-time is taking a risk (so is adding hp, but clearly it is worth it to many of us!). No doubt people have done it and have apparently had success, but not too many people have posted up their "miles driven" after a one-at-a-time install.

Like others above - what is your goal here? More hp? More reliability?
My truck ran great from the day I bought it new off of the dealership lot to the day that one of the heads cracked. It continued to run great even after the head cracked. When the heads came off, to R&R the cracked head, I went ahead and pulled both heads to install ARP studs. The mechanic told me that he saw signs that I was leaking coolant into 4 points from apparent head gasket leaks. Point here is, a one at a time stud upgrade would certainly have been a futile attempt to save money as I would have only been studding heads with hidden and imminent problems.

Personally, (if keeping stock) I think I'd run the truck as is and keep money in the bank account for the possible gasket/stud job, just in case it becomes necessary. If the gaskets hold up for as long as you own the truck, then you'll still have the money for something cool for the garage. But as Bismic mentioned, that would also depend on what you plan on doing with the truck. If you are upping HP/TQ, then you may want to get studs in there to hold against higher cylinder pressures.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I don't have the tensile strength for the TTY bolts but I know that the ARP's is something like 210,000. I also know the ARP's are reusable.
The bolts stretch and the studs won't. I could feel the difference when I did mine, one at a time

Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Curt's05
The bolts stretch and the studs won't. I could feel the difference when I did mine, one at a time
Ain't that the truth. I felt every one THREE times--LOL.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Ain't that the truth. I felt every one THREE times--LOL.
heheh
ive done way to many
ill do nomore

Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Green96
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like it might be best to wait on the studs until a problem is suspected. I do not really plan on adding anymore power at this time as this truck pulls the race truck well as is, especially when compared too my previous gas powered truck. I think I may still do the egr delete and coolant filter, as well as add a scan gauge as reliability on long trips is my main concern. I would also like to add a larger exhaust. I was thinking about the mbrp 5 inch but was up for hearing suggestions from you guys.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sounds like a good plan. I heard somewhere that there is no advantage running 5" over the 4". I believe that you just get a deeper sound. MBRP makes a quality product. I was thinking about going with the Diamond Eye myself. Just because it would support my local area.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Curt's05
yeah.... it's "torque to yield".... and you can feel them yield.
plastic deformation occurs, and the bolts cannot be reused.
you won't get the clamping on a re torque.

Quick Reply: ARP head stud questions