1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

'80-86 Bullnose For Four Wheeler Feature Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'80-86 Bullnose For Four Wheeler Feature Truck

I do the "Backwards Glances" 4x4 column for Four Wheeler Magazine and I'm not getting enough vintage Fords in there. I'm looking for an original-and-unmolested, restored-to-stock or near-to-stock '80-86 4x4 truck. Yes, I have one, and yes it's been a camera ***** many times so I'm looking for some "strange." If you have such a truck, or know of someone who does, please get back with me here or via PM. The hitch will be location. I'm in NW Ohio and the truck needs to be within a reasonable driving distance from there. Say a day's travel time, which would include most of Indiana, some of Illinois, Northern Kentucky, most of Michigan, Western PA, West Virginia and possibly farther away depending on the truck. I am so woefully short of vintage Ford pickup stuff that if there was a collector that had other era 4x4 Ford trucks in original condition ('59-60, '61-66, '67-73, '74-79) that filled the bill, I go father to shoot a bunch-o-Ford-trucks. Here's your chance to be immortalized in print and on the internet. Thanks Gents!

If you want to see the kind of stuff that's been done so far, here's a link to a search: Google

Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is about as stock as you can get (outside of the rust holes) and I even use it for things other than trips to the mall.

However, far away, though Atlanta has an airport.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Looks nice. Wish it was closer!

The problem with travel is that I have to pay my own way and the cost of the trip would nearly equal what I get paid for the story

Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Yeah, I know, I wasn't really seriously suggesting it. Plus I haven't mounted a winch yet so it wouldn't do in any self-respecting 4WD magazine.

If you were closer you could get two "Backwards Glances" for one

Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Jim Allen
Elder User
I recognize that as a lightweight. Do I know you from my old Rover days? I was once the North American Correspondent for LRO. Worked for Rovers North, two LR dealers and even LRNA. Was one of the three founders of the LROA in the early '80s.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Possible, until I bought my F-250 last year I've driven pretty much only Land Rovers since I bought my first one in '75. Though I was seriously looking at at Fords around '83 when I was a pipe weldor and thinking of living on the road.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 PM
chillman88
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shame mine's all rusty and not on the road yet. She's pretty stock. I'm in NY anyway. But it would be cool to see my truck in the magazine I get

Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
How "restored-to-stock or near-to-stock" does it have to be? And, is this a one-time offer? I'm currently restifying my father's 1981 F150 4x4, and plan to have it at the Carlisle All-Ford meet at the end of May/start of June next summer. Dad is '93 and loved the truck, but he has Alzheimer's and doesn't remember it and I've taken possession. I'm sorta restoring it, but the way I want it. Here's a bit of info on it, but you can find more than you would ever want to know about it in the thread called Dad's Truck Build:
  • 1981 F140 4x4 Ranger XLT
  • Originally a 351M, but it is getting stroked by 1/2", which makes it a 400, along with a few other things like Edelbrock heads, intake, and some reasonable cam.
  • Originally had a C6, but I now have a ZF5 in it - or will have again when it goes back together. And, by the way, ZF's will bolt up to a 351M, but won't work w/o a bit of effort. See Dad's ZF5 Swap for the details of how I did it.
  • The seat is being changed out with period-correct Bronco buckets and console, with factory-like fabric
  • Radio will be changed to a RetroSoundsUSA unit that will look correct but has Bluetooth, hands-free, etc. Speakers will be upgraded but in stock locations except for the sub, which will be a small one under the passenger's seat.
  • Stock Ford aluminum bullet-hole wheels and slightly-upgraded tires
  • The engine compartment will look stock, but there will be a few upgrades that only the knowledgable will catch, like the 351HO air cleaner with dual snorkels and cold air ducting, 3G alternator, headlight wiring harness, etc
  • Concealed alarm system connected to the power door locks.
  • Speaking of door locks, it will have the pin-style locks and door panels instead of the slide locks the 80 & 81's had.
  • Cargo light upgraded to a later Ford cargo/brake light
  • Paint/bodywork - much better than factory, including a clear coat, but original color.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Jim Allen
Elder User
The Backwards Glances column is all about originality. The basic core of the idea is to give folks a look back... the way it was. A few small mods here or there are OK but nothing that changes the basic look or functionality. I know there are some great restified trucks out there and some that are full blown modified. And I love 'em! But that's not what the column is about.

I've own my Bullnose almost since it was new and made some changes. Now that it's more or less a toy, ...all those things I changed back in the day are getting changed back to stock. Wish I'd saved all the stuff I took out!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We're not worthy.....

Old 08-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Oh, you're worthy just not original ( : < ).

Old 08-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I understand the need for originality due to the name and intent of the column. And, I understand the problem of finding original trucks since these trucks were problematic in many areas. Take the emissions equipment as an example - it is difficult to maintain and few know how to do it, so it is frequently removed. And, several of the engines of the day were out and out dogs - take the 351M for example. I own a stock one that is truly gutless and thirsty. And, I own a "built" one that has spunk and gets almost 50% better MPG. Then there are transmissions - our trucks either came with autos that had no OD or one that was fairly weak, and the only manual transmissions with OD were also fairly weak.

So, it is very easy to see why there are so few truly original trucks of this era available any more. Earlier trucks didn't have the "stuff" on them to go wrong, and later trucks had "stuff" that works better and can be maintained. Unfortunately, our era is at the bottom of the curve, so to speak. So good luck with your quest, it must be frustrating.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This doesn't get much more original. Just not 4wd...

And not pretty. and too far from ya.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Love 'em all. Here's mine.