Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

High flow muffler WITH turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Eallend7
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High flow muffler WITH turbo

Looking for opinions on exhaust systems with a high flow muffler on turbo'd trucks. Truck now is straight down pipe, not really being used to thats fine, but had to haul the tractor the other day, reluctantly, the old girl just hates to work with her fuel system the way it is, ancient, hah. But its just TOO loud, and i don't like the sound that i know it would give with even just a straight pipe on it, sounds like a gasser with a big turbo hah. Do high flow muffle take that loud combustion sound out of the exhaust while still sort of letting you hear the turbo or does it pretty much muffle everything or nothign?
opinions advice brand suggestions?

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
it tones the whole works down.the exhaust rasp along with turbo whistle.
basically,it's nice lol.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM
geniusloerts
Senior User
I don't have a direct answer for you, but i know that mine, still NA, with a glass pack(PO installed) is annoying. Once I get my turbo put on, it will probably be straight piped and exit in front of the tire at a 45. how ever if I can find the right muffler that doesn't restrict flow but cuts some of the sound out I would not be opposed. I know a lot of people have been doing the diamond exaust.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
My turbo came with a Banks exhaust system already installed, 3" in/4" out muffler, and it is really quiet - at least the exhaust is at anything above idle. In fact, it's quieter than my '01 PSD was and almost as quiet as my recently sold 5.8 Bronco.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Eallend7
Elder User
hrmm, i'll probably take it to an exhaust shop and just have a 3 in, exhaust put on running out the factory location, still have all the hangers in place.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
i have a 4" inlet/outlet straight through diesel muffler from diamond eye if your interested. PM me if interested.

i love my truck straight piped. with the 4" exhaust and muffler is sounded stock other than a little deeper tone. take the muffler out and it sounds like 'murica happening out the tail pipe. i have never towed with it, but i was told that i would get a crap load of drone. i get NOTHING when cruising at any speed. i tried my truck with just the factory down pipe on it....sounded like crap. i think if you go with 4 inch exiting in factory location you will be happy. remember with just the down pipe, the exit is/was right under your feed, and all of the noise bounces off the road and then hits the bottom of the cab and just bounces around a lot.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ive had both the same muffler as Eric on my truck and straight piped in a couple forms, and what has been said above is correct. I didn't notice any less turbo whistle with the muffler, but just less rasp. I liked the muffler, it was the same as it is now, just a little less loud... Otherwise, there is no difference.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:57 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Eallend7
opinions advice brand suggestions?

I don't think anyone ended up providing any brand suggestions. I'm in the market for a muffler. I can't do straight pipes. Any one have a favorite?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:19 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I've always run glass-packs on my IDIs. Honestly I think the people that say they're annoying haven't heard one on a 6.9/7.3. They're going by the racket they've heard from gassers; which I also find annoying, I do not like loud vehicles. They may be cool when you're 15 and only driving around town, but try to put 500 miles a day on a vehicle while it's screaming at you.

I cannot tell there's a glass-pack on my truck at normal driving, it sounds exactly like it did with the stock muffler. Only time I hear it is when I'm winding it out, like engine braking in a low gear coming down a mountain with a load of wood.

Of course results may vary depending on pack manufacture, I don't know the brand I'm running, it's just something my local muffler shop carries. They are pretty large for a pack though.

I wouldn't run a straight pipe on anything, that's beyond annoying.

Last edited by Chevy_Eater; 02-21-2015 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Speeel-Ling
Old 02-21-2015, 08:24 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by genscripter
I don't think anyone ended up providing any brand suggestions. I'm in the market for a muffler. I can't do straight pipes. Any one have a favorite?
i run the walker/dynomax big truck/rv mufflers.
part# 21470

big,so it's quite.
straight through so its free flowing,and keeps egts low.
built in hollow chamber (resonator) so you get no drone (important on chip truck.with the stretched limo/log truck,im sure this makes no never mind lol.)
best part = no longer pulled over by the popo.

i originally had a much smaller glass pack style (dynomax ultra welded) but i got pulled over by a staty talking to 'er up a grade as n/a,with a jag of wood at wot/2nd gear.he didn't think much of it but he did let me off.
turbocharged the truck and it was still a bit much.swapped to the BTM and found true love lol.
(which is why you see me installing another on log truck when i set that one up,as shown in the pics.)

Old 02-21-2015, 08:38 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Doesn't Hypermax make exhaust also? I seem to recall the muffler in my '86 being Hypermax. Not positive though, just something in the back of my mind tells me I noticed the exhaust matched the turbo...

Old 02-21-2015, 12:04 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dads 88 is dual 2.5" with glasspacks. Sounds really good. Nice quiet rumble when just driving around and idling, kinda opens up a little if you really get after it, still not what i would call loud.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:07 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
Doesn't Hypermax make exhaust also? I seem to recall the muffler in my '86 being Hypermax. Not positive though, just something in the back of my mind tells me I noticed the exhaust matched the turbo...

I'm not buying from hypermax anymore. I paid quite a bit of money for a new van kit, and some of components didn't work. They had inconsistent and poor customer service. I like the turbo now that I got it working, but I don't want to contribute to their organization anymore.

I'll look into glass packs. Seems to be the trend. That dynomax looks nice too. I'm big into quiet. I have an 8-passenger van, and considering the doghouse isn't that quiet and the turbo wine is annoying, the last thing I need is more noise.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:01 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by genscripter
I'm not buying from hypermax anymore. I paid quite a bit of money for a new van kit, and some of components didn't work. They had inconsistent and poor customer service. I like the turbo now that I got it working, but I don't want to contribute to their organization anymore.

I'll look into glass packs. Seems to be the trend. That dynomax looks nice too. I'm big into quiet. I have an 8-passenger van, and considering the doghouse isn't that quiet and the turbo wine is annoying, the last thing I need is more noise.

I had the Diamondeye 4" muffler on my truck, and it was excellent. I loved it until my Home built (and shop balanced) DS **** on me, and took it out. I would run one again in a heartbeat.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:03 PM
TheSherpa
New User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
i run the walker/dynomax big truck/rv mufflers.
part# 21470

big,so it's quite.
straight through so its free flowing,and keeps egts low.
built in hollow chamber (resonator) so you get no drone (important on chip truck.with the stretched limo/log truck,im sure this makes no never mind lol.)
best part = no longer pulled over by the popo.

i originally had a much smaller glass pack style (dynomax ultra welded) but i got pulled over by a staty talking to 'er up a grade as n/a,with a jag of wood at wot/2nd gear.he didn't think much of it but he did let me off.
turbocharged the truck and it was still a bit much.swapped to the BTM and found true love lol.
(which is why you see me installing another on log truck when i set that one up,as shown in the pics.)
Do you have a part number for that OEM over the axle exhaust piece from your first picture?

Quick Reply: High flow muffler WITH turbo