Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOUGHT ALL NEW OEM PARTS FROM FORD STILL CODE 629

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:53 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
Don't worry about a picture/drawing in a book, does the shifter work as it should? What I am asking is, are your gear positions where they should be? If your lever was on wrong you would have to put the shift lever on the column in 1 (low) be in park at the transmission.

In other words it depends on if the shift linkage pulls or pushes, as to where the lever goes.
Yeah I was havin a retardabrainfart.

THIS IS WHACKED ===> I decided to check the ohms at the MLPS for each gear position and what I'm getting is no where near what it should be. The only way i can get close to the spec> values is by removing the screws and turning the MLPS past the mounting holes. So I took the new MLPS back and got a replacement and SAME SCENERIO any ideas out there???

Old 08-14-2013, 02:26 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your battery cables and reset the PCM, that is go into self test mode and pull the jumper. This sounds like a bad ground.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:41 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
I have cleaned all the grounds that were listed by location in my chilton and haynes manuals but I will go back through them again. Thanks pfogle. Does anyone know why there is no hard ground on the pcm? What I mean is there is a ground wire coming out of the pcm, but what grounds the ecu to the truck if that circuit is faulty. My wifes honda comp.is bolted to the body.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 AM
barnym17
Senior User
I am a latecomer this thread but it sounds as if your issues are similar to mine.I worked around it until I can get it figured out by cutting into the purple yellow converter lockup wire ,and putting a switch into the circuit.When it acts up- normally in the morning or damp weather I open the switch and do not allow the converter to lock until I get to around 50 mph then I flip the switch.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,172 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by knotEdog
I have cleaned all the grounds that were listed by location in my chilton and haynes manuals but I will go back through them again. Thanks pfogle. Does anyone know why there is no hard ground on the pcm? What I mean is there is a ground wire coming out of the pcm, but what grounds the ecu to the truck if that circuit is faulty. My wifes honda comp.is bolted to the body.
The PCM is grounded at G101 through Pins 40 and 60. G101 is located: RH front of engine compartment, front of fender apron. Right Hand is defined as passenger side. G101 located near the starter relay.

courtesy of subford

Pin 20 on the PCM is another ground, G104 located on the LH fender apron near the hood hinge.

courtesy of subford

PCM pin-out diagram

courtesy of fordfuelinjection

The PCM case is also grounded by the bracket that holds it in place.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:13 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Originally Posted by knotEdog
Yeah I was havin a retardabrainfart.

THIS IS WHACKED ===> I decided to check the ohms at the MLPS for each gear position and what I'm getting is no where near what it should be. The only way i can get close to the spec> values is by removing the screws and turning the MLPS past the mounting holes. So I took the new MLPS back and got a replacement and SAME SCENERIO any ideas out there???
Measure the MLPS resistance with the connector removed.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:18 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Originally Posted by rla2005
Measure the MLPS resistance with the connector removed.
Thanks man....Well I guess the problem is not in the MLPS. I think its about time to drop the valve body and see whats up in there. I read that there is one of the ***** and a spring that is loaded. Is it the one that is under the metal trapezoid looking plate? Should be easy pleasy if I follow the ATRA write up right?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
I have never had a reason to remove the valve body on an E4OD, can't help you.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
All due respect, don't drop the valve body. You shotgunned $$$$$ and too many parts and still have issues. Pulling a valve body upside down is asking for problems with loosing things like the check ***** and pucks ect....

Bite the bullet and take it to a tranny place. Or get another tranny from the junkyard and stuff in there.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:21 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
All due respect, don't drop the valve body. You shotgunned $$$$$ and too many parts and still have issues. Pulling a valve body upside down is asking for problems with loosing things like the check ***** and pucks ect....

Bite the bullet and take it to a tranny place. Or get another tranny from the junkyard and stuff in there.
Don't suggest that. I did that many $$$$ ago & got told. That why I have stayed on the outside watching.

Craig

Old 08-15-2013, 08:06 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by kermmydog
Don't suggest that. I did that many $$$$ ago & got told. That why I have stayed on the outside watching.

Craig
when I was younger, family and friends would ask me why I don't just take my vehicle to a shop. . .

haven't heard that for a very long time, and they always want to ride in my stuff or get me to build something for them. rides I give, I tell them to get a shop to build something for them (time and sarcasm, not spite). . .

im not saying he shouldn't take it to a shop, but he seems pretty patient and he's still running diagnostics. diagnostics that don't fix your current problem aren't for naught. . .learning is invaluable.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by '89F2urd
when I was younger, family and friends would ask me why I don't just take my vehicle to a shop. . .

haven't heard that for a very long time, and they always want to ride in my stuff or get me to build something for them. rides I give, I tell them to get a shop to build something for them (time and sarcasm, not spite). . .

im not saying he shouldn't take it to a shop, but he seems pretty patient and he's still running diagnostics. diagnostics that don't fix your current problem aren't for naught. . .learning is invaluable.
I agree, but sometimes an education comes from others with years of knowledge.
But it isn't mine & I don't care either way. But doesn't he have a family waiting for him thousands of miles away. Sometimes you have to surrender to win.

Craig

Old 08-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kermmydog
I agree, but sometimes an education comes from others with years of knowledge.
But it isn't mine & I don't care either way. But doesn't he have a family waiting for him thousands of miles away. Sometimes you have to surrender to win.

Craig
That's why I said what I said. I too was in a situation and could not fix my vehicle in a timely fashion. Took it to the dealer and had it fixed.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:21 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Talking

Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
That's why I said what I said. I too was in a situation and could not fix my vehicle in a timely fashion. Took it to the dealer and had it fixed.
FIRST AND FOREMOST I WANT TO THANK ALL OF THE MEMBERS WHO HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO TRY AND ASSIST IN THE REPAIRING OF MY
TRUCK, BUT I HAD QUITE THE SURPRISE THIS WEEK. MY IN-LAWS SHOWED UP ON WEDNESDAY FROM HAWAII BEARING GIFTS. It seems that two weeks ago they had flown to our new home in Alaska and decided that they would grab the family and head back to So.Cal. After landing in Ontario, they made one stop before continuing to our old house on the day I turned the keys over to the new owner. Not 30 min. before I shook hands with the new owner. My In-Laws Kehono and LeLao and my wife Malulani and my twins all showed up in this:

<table height="507" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="653"><tbody><tr><th id="v4-48" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Year:</th><td headers="v4-48" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">2008</td><th id="v4-49" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Body Type:</th><td headers="v4-49" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">TRUCK</td></tr><tr><th id="v4-50" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Make:</th><td headers="v4-50" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">Ford</td><th id="v4-51" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Cab Type (For Trucks Only):</th><td headers="v4-51" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">Crew Cab</td></tr><tr><th id="v4-52" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Model:</th><td headers="v4-52" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">F-350</td><th id="v4-53" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Vehicle Title:</th><td headers="v4-53" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">Clear</td></tr><tr><th id="v4-54" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Trim:</th><td headers="v4-54" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">FX4 4X4 LIFTED REARCAM</td><th id="v4-55" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Options:</th><td headers="v4-55" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">LEATHER HEATED SEATS</td></tr><tr><th id="v4-56" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Engine:</th><td headers="v4-56" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">6.4L</td><th id="v4-57" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Safety Features:</th><td headers="v4-57" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">SEAT BELTS HEADLIGHTS BRAKES LIGHTS TURN SIGNALS</td></tr><tr><th id="v4-58" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Drive Type:</th><td headers="v4-58" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">Four Wheel Drive</td><th id="v4-59" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Power Options:</th><td headers="v4-59" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">WINDOWS, LOCKS & CRUISE CONTROL</td></tr><tr><th id="v4-60" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Mileage:</th><td headers="v4-60" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">58,813</td><th id="v4-61" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Fuel Type:</th><td headers="v4-61" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">Diesel</td></tr><tr><th id="v4-62" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Sub Model:</th><td headers="v4-62" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">SUSPENSION LIFT MOTOR TRENDS</td><th id="v4-63" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">For Sale By:</th><td headers="v4-63" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">Dealer</td></tr><tr><th id="v4-64" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Exterior Color:</th><td headers="v4-64" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">Black - (Black)</td><th id="v4-65" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Disability Equipped:</th><td headers="v4-65" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">No</td></tr><tr><th id="v4-66" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Interior Color:</th><td headers="v4-66" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">Black Leather</td><th id="v4-67" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Warranty:</th><td headers="v4-67" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">YES</td></tr><tr><th id="v4-68" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Number of Cylinders:</th><td headers="v4-68" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">8</td><th id="v4-69" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">NUMBER OF DOORS:</th><td headers="v4-69" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">4</td></tr><tr><th id="vi-ia-attrSectionLastRowTd" class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Transmission:</th><td headers="v4-70" id="vi-ia-attrSectionLastRowTd" class="vi-ia-attrColPadding" width="50.0%">Automatic</td><td class="vi-ia-attrColPadding">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 08-17-2013, 12:43 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
To all my new friends on this website I am off and running. Dropping the In-Laws off in Las Vegas and heading North to Alaska. I threw in the towel on my f150 and the guy who bought my house gave me 3500.00 for it as is. When I get home, I will post pics of me and my truck and trailer and probably the whole family waving our thanks for all your input the past month....May the Lord Bless You All and Yours and ofcourse your Ford Truck. A hui hou !!!!!! Brahs

Quick Reply: BOUGHT ALL NEW OEM PARTS FROM FORD STILL CODE 629