Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Solve this !!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 PM
TeresaAnn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Solve this !!

So I have a 79 Bronco. about 2 years ago, my 18 year nephew was driving it when I got a call that it was "hopping" He was able to have someone tow him home. They thought it was the Tranny.. so it has sat for the last two years, being moved twice by pulling and push (dragging it.) the rear passanger tire wouldnt move the last time we tried to move it. well I was about to sell it when my neighbor had me start it, (460 started right up) we were able to see that it really wasn't the tranny. It will go in gear, but the two back tires wont move. They try, and make a awful sound. I use to have someone in my life that knew all about Fords, but He is no longer around. (Semper Fi- USMC)
He taught me to love the older fords and that is one reason I would like to keep it. I just have no idea where to start. Im single, limited income, a chic and would really like to know if anyone knows where I should start. Not in the position to pay top dollar to have someone look at it. and find out that its going to be a huge project. ($ wise)
It really have min rust, I got the whole inside Line-x a couple of years ago and would love to eventually redo the rest, but I need to figure this out first.

Any advise on what it could be would be GREATLY appreciated! Or if you know of anyone in North Washington that would be even better.

Thanks in advance. I really lost on this!

TeresaAnn

Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you had it running in gear did you notice if the drive shaft was turning? If it was it sounds like the rear differential has a problem...

You might want to fire it up again and check....... Good Luck...

Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 PM
TeresaAnn
New User
Yes, the drive shaft was turning. it almost was like the breaks were locked up, but weren't. you could see that they were trying to spin but just made a loud sound.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:05 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Well, that sounds like something is broken in the differential, most likely spider gears or an axle shaft if the teenager was trying to do burn outs... I'm not saying he was, but there is a pretty good chance. Axle shafts aren't usually very noisy though. Not like grinding metal would be.

The side gears and spider gears can be replaced fairly cheaply... Just make sure the ring gear or pinion gear didn't get damaged.... If they are damaged it will probably be cheaper to replace the whole differential with one from a salvage yard.

If you end up having to replace it be sure the gear ratio of the replacement is exactly the same if it is 4X4....

Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 PM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Received 1,243 Likes on 937 Posts
I would by start looking at the brakes just to rule them out. then you'll need to drop the third member to check the gears. none of this is hard with a little time, a good repair manual, and maybe some help.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 PM
TeresaAnn
New User
Thank you!! This gives me a good starting point! Part of me just wanted to give up and sell, but once I started it that day, it all came back to me, and I realized why I hadn't sold it yet. My Gut tells me to hang on to it. Thank you again!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Before you tear into the rear end you might crank it again and make sure when drive shaft is turning that the slip yoke is turning with it. I have personlly had a yoke go bad.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Originally Posted by TeresaAnn
So I have a 79 Bronco. about 2 years ago, my 18 year nephew was driving it when I got a call that it was "hopping" He was able to have someone tow him home. They thought it was the Tranny.. so it has sat for the last two years, being moved twice by pulling and push (dragging it.) the rear passanger tire wouldnt move the last time we tried to move it. well I was about to sell it when my neighbor had me start it, (460 started right up) we were able to see that it really wasn't the tranny. It will go in gear, but the two back tires wont move. They try, and make a awful sound. I use to have someone in my life that knew all about Fords, but He is no longer around. (Semper Fi- USMC)
He taught me to love the older fords and that is one reason I would like to keep it. I just have no idea where to start. Im single, limited income, a chic and would really like to know if anyone knows where I should start. Not in the position to pay top dollar to have someone look at it. and find out that its going to be a huge project. ($ wise)
It really have min rust, I got the whole inside Line-x a couple of years ago and would love to eventually redo the rest, but I need to figure this out first.

Any advise on what it could be would be GREATLY appreciated! Or if you know of anyone in North Washington that would be even better.

Thanks in advance. I really lost on this!

TeresaAnn
It sounds like your 18 year old was doing burnouts or power braking. (We were all 18 at one time!) First, I would put the rear on jack stands. take off the driveshaft at the rear end. If it spins with the transmission in neutral, the problem is in the rear. (Please make sure the Bronco is on flat ground with the front wheels chocked!) Pull the rear wheels, see if the brake drums are loose enough to remove. If they are "tight", meaning you can't move either side...possible something in the brakes came apart. (Probably from "power braking") Worse case...if something came apart in the rear end, it's still not that bad...they are pretty easy to change and lots of used ones are available. You slide the axles out and the whole "center section" unbolts and comes out the front of the diff. If it hasn't been changed, it's a 9" with 3:50 gears. Again....lots of them out there.
Good Luck!!!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 PM
TeresaAnn
New User
Thank you all so much for the Input! Now I just have to find someone to help. I will post pictures soon! It looks good, spent the last 3 nights cleaning it. It would even better if it moved! haha.. baby steps,

Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Aw man this is really disappointing... I am 1.5 hours away from Burlington dammit! I'd love to come lend a hand, these guys here know what they are talking about. I really helps to have a good camera too, take pictures or even videos of the problem, it really helps us diag the issue. Although, I'd agree it sounds like your rear gears have sploded...

If that's the case you're in luck if it's got the original 9" rear axle as you can pull the whole third member out and work on it on a bench/hoist. Along with some of the things these guys suggested, jack up the rear axle so the tires are off the ground, put the trans in neutral and try spinning the tires. If they spin easily, you've got other problems but if they kind of spin and stop then it's pretty isolated in the rear end.

I wish Burlington wasn't so darn far We have a few guys here that are great with their hands. Pop by the Washington chapter and make your appearance. Who knows, maybe one of them will be toward that area soon and can swing by to check it out.

Here is a link. Washington Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
I am 1.5 hours away from Burlington dammit!
I got you beat, google maps says I am 2600+ miles and 38 hrs away!!!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
I got you beat, google maps says I am 2600+ miles and 38 hrs away!!!
Eh well, you win.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:45 AM
TeresaAnn
New User
1.5 hours.. Aww.. thats nothing! load all the guys up, grab your tools, and head over. Ill put you all up, Feed you, (I was a chef in a past life) and then once its done, we can take it to the river for some salmon fishing. Serious.. Who could pass up a weekend of working on a Ford, having all your meals cooked, ice cold beer, Oh and getting the Bronco moving, and then fishing on the River for the rest of the weekend. ;D
Today was opening day for Humpys too!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:46 AM
TeresaAnn
New User
Can anyone suggest a good manual for the Bronco?

Old 08-02-2013, 02:00 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
The basic manual is the Haynes/Chilton. A lot of people don't like it for whatever reason but it has Factory specs and information for a lot of things. They are $20-25 at the normal auto part stores.

As for coming up there, for me it isn't in the cards. Without a full time job I don't have the money to afford gas for my own bronco, plus it's leaking copious amounts of brake fluid. My VW beetle is drivable but I have a strange feeling it wouldn't last 1.5 hours on I-5....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Solve this !!