Side Mirrors! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Side Mirrors!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
yah Bill that is what I have

Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM
oldwi
Senior User
oldwi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BjŲrn View Post
Thanks for the information on those mirrors. They are the ones I mentioned in my earlier post and was wondering if anyone had experience with them. I am considering ordering them for my truck when I get to that stage.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:23 PM
jmadsen
Postmaster
jmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to all
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
The chrome mirror w/the 5" round head is next to worthless for seeing anything. They're EZ to find, as they're reproduced and look nice, but...

Other types of 1953/56 mirrors (left lower pic) also fit into the door slots (once the rubber plugs were removed). Both telescoping/non telescoping were available.

Similar mirrors were used thru 1966 on F Series, and on 1963/69 N/NT/T500/1100 & 1967/69 F800/1000. There are a few of these mirrors available NOS

Right: 1964/69 same as 1957/63, similar to 1953/56.
Good info and pictures too,

I picked up four of these mirrors a while ago at a yard sale, they look like the 53 56 style with the mounting tab but I may modify to use on my 52 F-6 (unless someone has the earlier style like the first image from Bills post that wants to trade for these or something else?? )

Originally Posted by abe View Post
The mirror that was available for Ford trucks from 53-56 is the second you see in Bill's post.
Here is a pic:

The round chrome mirrors they sell in the repro catalogs where sold by FORD in 1957 and after. I have a dealer brochure from 1956 and they show no such mirrors. I have a 57 brochure and they show trucks with the round ones on and they list them as an option. The mounting area is the same for 53-56 models as it is for 57 and up trucks and that is why I suppose they call them stock. It drives me nuts when they show trucks with the little round chrome mirrors and they call their trucks stock originals.

I have a pair of the stock mirrors on my truck:

And they work! I put a stick-on convex mirror on the passenger side which makes it even better.

Good luck finding any, however. They are not reproduced. You might find good mirror arms. They are telescoping. The base can be cleaned up and painted black. The part that extends is stainless and cleans up nicely. The mirror heads usually are rusted unless it comes off a barn find or from somewhere in the dry areas of our countries. If you find the arms the parts store mirrors will fit on.

They look just like Abe's excepting the color and part number being different.

Part number COTZ-17696-D

Attached Images    
Old 08-06-2013, 12:30 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by jmadsen View Post
Good info and pictures too,

I picked up four of these mirrors a while ago at a yard sale, they look like the 53 56 style with the mounting tab.
They look just like Abe's excepting the color and part number being different.
Part number COTZ-17696-D
Wow, what a yard sale find! At some point (I think it was 1957) Ford went from the black mirror arms and mirror heads to a white or cream. The size of the mirror heads were different, also. The mirror arms look the same except for the color of paint.

These mirror arms really do not allow any vibration of the mirror at any speed.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM
jmadsen
Postmaster
jmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to all
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Wow, what a yard sale find! At some point (I think it was 1957) Ford went from the black mirror arms and mirror heads to a white or cream. The size of the mirror heads were different, also. The mirror arms look the same except for the color of paint.

These mirror arms really do not allow any vibration of the mirror at any speed.

Good to know, Thanks

Are your mirror heads smaller than these (5x8") ?

I don't usually search out yard sales etc, but I had picked up a parts truck and they were cleaning out the sheds getting ready for a yard sale and so I guess I got the pre- yard sale deals,
got a bunch of stuff for a really good deal, one such item was a brand new in the box Wico Magneto for a caterpillar pony motor paid $7 and sold it for $200 and that was still a sweet deal for someone. and more than paid for the trip and my other items.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:53 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
The mirror heads for 53-56 trucks were square, with rounded corners, and are 6"x6".

Old 11-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Doug O
New User
Doug O is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mirror question

I was scouring the threads looking for information on what mirror I have on my 1960 F100. There I great information here. I want to have a "correct mirror" if possible but not sure if what I have is or is not. It is a 6 inch round mirror, I don't see any FoMoCo markings. It looks like an extension mirror, without the extension.

Thanks.

Doug

Old 11-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Doug O
New User
Doug O is starting off with a positive reputation.

Goofed up uploading the picture of the mirror! Here it is.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm running swan mirrors on both sides of mine and have a peep mirror on the driver's side. I need to add one to the passenger side... they help in the blind spots... But have to have your head on a swivel to be safe.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 AM
arthall
Freshman User
arthall is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help Using Catalog

Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
The chrome mirror w/the 5" round head is next to worthless for seeing anything. They're EZ to find, as they're reproduced and look nice, but...

Other types of 1953/56 mirrors (left lower pic) also fit into the door slots (once the rubber plugs were removed). Both telescoping/non telescoping were available.

Similar mirrors were used thru 1966 on F Series, and on 1963/69 N/NT/T500/1100 & 1967/69 F800/1000. There are a few of these mirrors available NOS

Right: 1964/69 same as 1957/63, similar to 1953/56.

Is this illustration from the 1948-1956 Ford Truck Parts and Accessories Text Catalog? I purchased an electronic copy of that but have a hard time navigating i to find what I want. Any suggestions? Thanks.