Sponsored by: Moser

2013 Shudder issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 Shudder issue?

Well folks...I hooked up the boat and went out for a tow. I ended up getting a pretty good vibration and thought maybe it was time for balancing the trailer tires. As it turns out I needed two new tires as they were at the wear bars (cheap crappy bias ply tires) so I ended up buying 4 trailer tire radials and had them balanced. As it turns out I have what I guess is a shudder at slow speeds and also can feel it at other speeds as well. A way to explain it is that it sort of feels like you are driving over the rumble strips on the side of the road but really small ones.

I had one of the guys from the boat shop ride with me thinking it might be the trailer...but none of the tires seemed to bounce at all and he even said my trailer tracks twice as good as his boat trailer.

I have an appointment with the dealer on Wednesday...and they said they do not have a loaner program!!!! (deep sigh)

Old 07-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Sorry to hear about troubles with the brand new truck Rob. Keep us posted

Old 07-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Well folks...I hooked up the boat and went out for a tow. I ended up getting a pretty good vibration and thought maybe it was time for balancing the trailer tires. As it turns out I needed two new tires as they were at the wear bars (cheap crappy bias ply tires) so I ended up buying 4 trailer tire radials and had them balanced. As it turns out I have what I guess is a shudder at slow speeds and also can feel it at other speeds as well. A way to explain it is that it sort of feels like you are driving over the rumble strips on the side of the road but really small ones.

I had one of the guys from the boat shop ride with me thinking it might be the trailer...but none of the tires seemed to bounce at all and he even said my trailer tracks twice as good as his boat trailer.

I have an appointment with the dealer on Wednesday...and they said they do not have a loaner program!!!! (deep sigh)
As far as the loaner program goes this is BS. You need to tell them this is your "work truck" and you will lose business, work, money if you don't have a loaner truck. I was told the same early on in my ownership, while having warranty work done.

I went back in to the "fleet dept" and got the guy who sold me the truck, who then told the service advisor to get me into a truck to drive through Enterprise. Ford treats truck buyers different than if you bring a car in. They don't want to lose F-150 sales.

Rob, seeing what you probably paid for that Platinum they should not even blink an eye at the request of a loaner. Just as an example, back in 2008 I got my wife a new Mercedes C300, a $36k car at the time and everytime we brought it in, even for oil changes they gave us a Mercedes loaner to drive for free.

Just curious, if the owner of a Ford GT brings a car in for service, does Ford send them home on two feet?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:46 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
As far as the loaner program goes this is BS. You need to tell them this is your "work truck" and you will lose business, work, money if you don't have a loaner truck. I was told the same early on in my ownership, while having warranty work done.

I went back in to the "fleet dept" and got the guy who sold me the truck, who then told the service advisor to get me into a truck to drive through Enterprise. Ford treats truck buyers different than if you bring a car in. They don't want to lose F-150 sales.

Rob, seeing what you probably paid for that Platinum they should not even blink an eye at the request of a loaner. Just as an example, back in 2008 I got my wife a new Mercedes C300, a $36k car at the time and everytime we brought it in, even for oil changes they gave us a Mercedes loaner to drive for free.

Just curious, if the owner of a Ford GT brings a car in for service, does Ford send them home on two feet?
I totally agree!! Infiniti bends over backwards to give you a loaner if they have to keep your car. They also give you an equivalent vehicle. Trust me I will be talking to them about it for sure!!!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Lucky Enough
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing vibes cure

I had the same shudder when I was towing my travel trailer. CURED them with helper system from Roadmaster Active Suspension. They do everything they claim. Really made a nice ride. Just thought I could offer my 2 cents.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:14 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Lucky Enough
I had the same shudder when I was towing my travel trailer. CURED them with helper system from Roadmaster Active Suspension. They do everything they claim. Really made a nice ride. Just thought I could offer my 2 cents.
How much are they?

Old 07-21-2013, 08:20 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 07-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
NOOOOOOO not the new platinum bud. at least its under warranty (hell you probably still have the new car smell its that new LOL) and you better give them the what for balking at giving you a loaner.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:54 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Hmm I wonder if the raptor springs would be better? I can honestly say that the truck sags even with my 4400 lb. boat on the back.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Hmm I wonder if the raptor springs would be better? I can honestly say that the truck sags even with my 4400 lb. boat on the back.
I thought Raptor springs were soft? dcfluid claims adding the extra leaf cured his axle wrap/shudder.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well folks...I hooked up the boat and went out for a tow. I ended up getting a pretty good vibration and thought maybe it was time for balancing the trailer tires. As it turns out I needed two new tires as they were at the wear bars (cheap crappy bias ply tires) so I ended up buying 4 trailer tire radials and had them balanced. As it turns out I have what I guess is a shudder at slow speeds and also can feel it at other speeds as well...
Shoot me your information in a PM, PrinceValium, and I'll get this moved up the line to your regional customer service manager. To get started, I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by NASSTY
I thought Raptor springs were soft? dcfluid claims adding the extra leaf cured his axle wrap/shudder.
Yeah after I posted that I thought...well that can't be true because their towing capacity and payload is less that what I have now...lol

Crystal...thanks I will do that.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
How do you define sag Rob? Any time you add weight to a spring it's going to compress. The truck in your sig pic looks completely level to me.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Crazy001
How do you define sag Rob? Any time you add weight to a spring it's going to compress. The truck in your sig pic looks completely level to me.
I agree it does look level...going down the road it almost feels like I hit the stoppers on bumps.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I agree it does look level...going down the road it almost feels like I hit the stoppers on bumps.
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or anything, but I never hit the stops with 12,000 lbs behind me. Tongue weight was north of 1,000 lbs, but I did have a WD kit engaged.

Quick Reply: 2013 Shudder issue?