6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Factory Trailer Brake Controller Problems..

Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 PM
ndlawrence
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Factory Trailer Brake Controller Problems..

So back to working on my truck, I've been having this problem since I bought the truck about two months ago. Everytime few times I press the brakes with the trailer hooked up it flashes "trailer disconnected" and starts beeping even when this flashes my trailer lights and brakes still work.

I tried it with all four of my trailers which all work correctly with other trucks and the problem persisted. So first thing I checked was the trucks trailer wiring and connectors, well It was rigged so I cut it all out back to the wiring harness and wired it up right. Well, Still have the problem.

So I checked the controller(TBC) and noticed that when I press the brakes and It says trailer disconnected my TBC sceen sporadically flashes like its got a short or something. Here's the wired thing, If I reach over and manually test my brakes the work fine... I'm thinking bad TBC?
is a video so you guys can give me y'alls opinion. Need to get it going for the Saint Jude Trial Ride next weekend.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Sometimes it is the wiring harness at the rear bumper plug.

I had to replace the ITBC in my old 2005 it was acting up so much. It would either disconnect with a trailer attached (similar to what you are experiencing) or act up even with no trailer installed. Extremely annoying to have the beeping and the message center constantly broadcast warning reminders for nothing.

Josh

Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got the same thing going on.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Since the pedal and manual override on the IBC use the same circuit to feed the trailer, and the manual override works, it is hard to make a case it is the plug at the rear or the harness from the controller to the seven pin plug, assuming good trailer braking with manual slide. This set of symptoms is normally indicative of a bad IBC.

When you see the "no trailer connected" the IBC is simply saying the circuit through the seven pin to the trailer is not complete. It is the blue lead only at the trailer feeding the power.

You can also get this same set of symptoms with defective aftermarket controllers.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've gotten this warning a couple of times shortly after plugging in the trailer plug and driving down the road. What I found my problem to be was the plug not fitting snugly and having a poor connection. Wiggling the plug and pushing in a little has so far cleared the warning each time. Not sure if it is the factory Ford 7 pin connector or the trailer's plug. I will eventually have to replace one side or the other, not sure which one yet, but thought you could check yours as well. It would be a lot cheaper than the ITBC, if the same issue as mine...

Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
Mine's had issues similar to Tim -- I never have a problem when not hooked up. I used some crap Napa grease on the terminals (Sylglide) some years back, trying to keep oxidation down and the stuff caked up hard. So that was my 1st issue. Second is a flaky ground on the horse trailer plug side, I bent the tabs in the plug (they were messed up) and use a tiny bungee cord to hold the plug in securely and that's worked so far..

If it's acting up w/ no trailer, I'm thinking you're on the right track and it's up in the head unit probably...

Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
I've gotten this warning a couple of times shortly after plugging in the trailer plug and driving down the road. What I found my problem to be was the plug not fitting snugly and having a poor connection. Wiggling the plug and pushing in a little has so far cleared the warning each time. Not sure if it is the factory Ford 7 pin connector or the trailer's plug. I will eventually have to replace one side or the other, not sure which one yet, but thought you could check yours as well. It would be a lot cheaper than the ITBC, if the same issue as mine...
It is almost always a truck plug issue, but when you have a loose plug, you should also lose manual control since a loose plug breaks the connection to the trailer brakes for both. I interpreted the OP's post to say he had manual, but no pedal.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
For those who do a lot of towing and have plug issues the best stuff I have found is a product called Stabilant. It is much better than anything available at the automotive stores. It works like magic on the pins provided the pin is not completely gone. I carry it in my truck and it has bailed out my butt in situations where troubleshooting would have been very problematic.

Don't sell it, just like it! Untitled Document

Old 07-15-2013, 11:08 AM
ndlawrence
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
It is almost always a truck plug issue, but when you have a loose plug, you should also lose manual control since a loose plug breaks the connection to the trailer brakes for both. I interpreted the OP's post to say he had manual, but no pedal.
Yep, Everytime I hit the pedal it starts freaking out. I ordered a like new TBC off ebay (fingers crossed) and new factory plug and play wiring harness for the two plugs in the back just to be sure... I'm tired of fooling with this! LOL

Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ndlawrence
Yep, Everytime I hit the pedal it starts freaking out. I ordered a like new TBC off ebay (fingers crossed) and new factory plug and play wiring harness for the two plugs in the back just to be sure... I'm tired of fooling with this! LOL
I will be curious to hear how this comes out.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I gave up on mine, I just push the button now to turn off the TBC lite......LOL

Old 07-15-2013, 02:03 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
The hardest thing about the IBC is folks tend to overthink the problem. It is really no different than a high-end aftermarket controller other than it uses a few more inputs to activate, it will activate with the ABS systems, and it is lacking many of the built-in diagnostics of a good after-market controller (which I think is a huge draw back, he says editorializing).

Old 07-15-2013, 02:24 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
For those who do a lot of towing and have plug issues the best stuff I have found is a product called Stabilant. It is much better than anything available at the automotive stores. It works like magic on the pins provided the pin is not completely gone. I carry it in my truck and it has bailed out my butt in situations where troubleshooting would have been very problematic.

Don't sell it, just like it! Untitled Document
Thanks!
Which product?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Stabilant is the name. It is a contact enhancer that does not short between pins. Not sure how it works. Just know it does.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:42 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Yes, but which product?
SIZES & PACKAGING

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Trailer Brake Controller Problems..