Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Yet Another 100% thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet Another 100% thread

Hello all, after much searching I have finally found the truck I want. Hopefully going to pick it up on Saturday. 1 Owner from Florida before dealer bought it and brought it up here to PA, 2002 F250 Supercab Lariat 190k miles
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG

Now I don't know of any problems currently, but I will be driving it about 5 hours home so will see if anything arises during that time.

First thing I plan on doing is all the fluid changes (besides oil since its getting changed as I type this)

I am planning on doing a change over to an ELC if I can find any around here. Where do people get their Distilled water? I feel kinda odd going to Walmart and loading up 2 baskets of water if the 30-40 gallon approx is accurate.

Searching for ATF change but everytime I search it comes up with 11 pages of info that I haven't gotten through yet so if anyone has a quick link I would appreciate it.

Since the oil is getting changed, I won't worry about that now.

Will be hitting all the zerks with grease as well.

Any fluids I am missing? I don't know enough to do a rear diff fluid but I will try to read up on that as well.

So once the fluids are changed out, what should I look for next? Everything I read seems to point to gauges/reader. I got into search overkill for this topic as it seems (rightly so) everyone has their favorite setup. If people could give some of their pros and cons for their setup (as unbiased as possible) I would appreciate it. Right now I like mechanical gauges so I have something consistent to look at but I don't know if I should just save up and go for the Infinity package since it has scanning ability as well as tuning and it seems like a little of everything else thrown in or if I would be better off doing a setup with a couple gauges and a scanner gauge like an Interceptor gauge from Aeroforce Tech with a ScangaugeII then when the time comes going with a DP6 or hydra chip. I'm not currently planning on going crazy but who knows what the future holds. This is something I never really have gotten into with my other vehicles so its new territory.

I do want to get a fuel pressure gauge asap and make sure the fuel system is functioning properly and probably a 6637 filter install. I will be building a boost leak detector and checking for that as well.

What would be the most beneficial maintenance-style mods to do to get the truck functioning properly?
I don't know if the truck has had any transmission work done to it, what would I be looking for if it has?

I know there are a ton of these trucks running around without people worrying about all this stuff and they are doing just fine but I want something I will be comfortable with knowing the maintenance has been performed properly.

Thanks for the help I have already gotten from the site on other threads I have had and looking forward to being here for awhile and hopefully being able to help others in the future.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Thread to look to when changing water.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...formation.html

Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brother Les
Thread to look to when changing water.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...formation.html
Thanks for the link!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM
BrandonT71
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on finally findind the "right" truck! I too am in the process of bring my new to me truck up to 100%. In addition to your planned fluids, I'd add a flush of the powersteering fluid and flush of the brake fluid. I've done these myself and it was difinately time for fresh fluids! In addition to fluids I've given the brakes a thorough inspection and replaced front pads and replaced rear calipers rotors and pads, had some issues back there. As part of your inspection, if everything looks good, at a minimum you should lube the slide pins. I've also inspected the front hubs and serviced the needle bearings by repacking them with grease. I have the trans flush, rear diff fluid and coolant flush and changeover to ELC planned. At some point I'll drop the rear drive line and lube the slip joint as a preventive measure. I also was able to get my truck scanned for codes and some data logging done with Tugly, and no major issues popped up!! I've started planning my mods, which like you are intended for longivity, and I'll be doing Hutch/Harpoon in tank mods, AIS, 4" turbo back exhaust, Riffraff CAC boots and Billet plennums, gauges-Dual pyros, boost, trans temp, fuel pressure, and maybe more. Have a plan for a total of 7. I like mechanical gauges as well for the instant feed back and not having to navigate a screen will driving. I am sure there'll be more as I've come down with a bad case of PMS!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Old 07-09-2013, 02:56 PM
BrandonT71
Senior User
Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
Thanks for the links! Do I need to worry about the auto lock hubs when I don't have the ESOF instead I have the manual shift version? I haven't looked at the thread yet to see if its explained there

Old 07-09-2013, 03:23 PM
BrandonT71
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dieselgrowl
Thanks for the links! Do I need to worry about the auto lock hubs when I don't have the ESOF instead I have the manual shift version? I haven't looked at the thread yet to see if its explained there
If the selector **** move freely your probably ok. Mine were tough to turn before servicing, now there "like butta"!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:33 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Nice find on a very clean truck -Did it come like that or have you been cleaning. Either way it looks great. Good Luck

Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Where does that second cable on the driver's-side battery go? Unless the 2002's are different, originally only one is attached to that positive battery terminal, and it's the one that's sheathed and goes to the other battery over the core support.

The one that drops down by the headlight is an add-on for something that's non-stock, I believe.

Pop

Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
Originally Posted by guitarpicr
Nice find on a very clean truck -Did it come like that or have you been cleaning. Either way it looks great. Good Luck
That's the way she came. Thanks I looked for awhile to find a clean one

Old 07-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Where does that second cable on the driver's-side battery go? Unless the 2002's are different, originally only one is attached to that positive battery terminal, and it's the one that's sheathed and goes to the other battery over the core support.

The one that drops down by the headlight is an add-on for something that's non-stock, I believe.

Pop
I will have to look again when I go to pick it up on Saturday.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
So I have found Prestone HD ELC locally as well as 2 cases (12 1-quart bottles each) Mercon ATF. That should get me through the coolant flush, tranny flush and power steering flush if I'm reading things correctly?

So I have those coolants nearby for when I get the truck home. I'm reading up on the grease jobs.

Any other comments on some of the other topics? I'm always open to thoughts and ideas.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 240 Likes on 163 Posts
Nice looking truck! I have spoke with the guy a few times about some trucks in the past.

Seems like a straight shooter, hope the truck serves you well.

Keep reading and you don't have to take care of everything the first weekend. LOL

Old 07-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
So about an hour from home, stopped and got some food, and it appears I have an oil leak. It wasn't doing it a couple hours previously and when I initially inspected the truck it all looked dry. It is collecting at the flywheel inspection cover but I believe its coming from above like most peoples. There is some oil in the valley, how do I figure out where it is coming from? It seems to do it more while the truck is running if that helps diagnosis.

Other than that the truck runs great! I will have some questions a little later, I think the truck is stock but there are a couple things I dont remember seeing. The interior is a little rough and will need a new rear bumper. I have a lead on the bumper but does anyone know of an inexpensive place that does 40-20-40 seat covers?

Quick Reply: Yet Another 100% thread