Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Yet Another 100% thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:00 PM
BDalton
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice looking truck! Oil in the valley can be from the HPOP. Since it just had an oil change check the obvious, and check the level to see if maybe it's over filled. Also check around the fuel filter housing to make sure it's not leaking, running down the valley and washing out old 'crud' making it appear that it's oil leaking.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselgrowl
So about an hour from home, stopped and got some food, and it appears I have an oil leak. It wasn't doing it a couple hours previously and when I initially inspected the truck it all looked dry. It is collecting at the flywheel inspection cover but I believe its coming from above like most peoples. There is some oil in the valley, how do I figure out where it is coming from? It seems to do it more while the truck is running if that helps diagnosis.
1) All diesels will 'leak' some fluids at some point in time. Don't panic or worry to much. O-rings are at their point of wearing out. Valve Cover gaskets may need torqued down a little. etc.

2) Are you 100% sure that it is 'oil'? Diesel fuel will look like that in the valley and sometimes on the ground.

3) clean up the valley put in some paper towels where the most amount of 'oil' was, this will get you closer to where the 'leak' is. Drive a little and narrow it down more and get back to us on what you find.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brother Les
1) All diesels will 'leak' some fluids at some point in time. Don't panic or worry to much. O-rings are at their point of wearing out. Valve Cover gaskets may need torqued down a little. etc.

2) Are you 100% sure that it is 'oil'? Diesel fuel will look like that in the valley and sometimes on the ground.

3) clean up the valley put in some paper towels where the most amount of 'oil' was, this will get you closer to where the 'leak' is. Drive a little and narrow it down more and get back to us on what you find.
1.) Yea I wasn't too worried, just was more than a drip here and there so figured I should get it fixed or at least figure out where its from to keep an eye on it.

2.) It certainly smells like oil and not Diesel, Im not 100% sure as far as in the valley but I'm 99.5% sure about the drips underneath.

3.) Working on getting it cleaned, thanks for the paper towel idea!

Everytime I turn the key its until I turn it back off. Love the sound, ride and everything so far.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
of course ever since sucking out the oil in the valley it has rained so I havent been adventurous enough to get under the hood in the downpour. I do notice the smell of burning oil when I turn the truck off.
I ordered the oil and fuel combo kit from guzzle's site so hopefully I will be able to get into it this weekend.
I will be taking the truck on vacation about 7 hours away so trying to get it ship shape before then.

How long does it normally take for your truck to cool down? I shut it off in the shade and seems like it takes hours for it to cool down.

Looks like they might have filled the oil a little high, would that potentially cause a leak?
for those who help us new diesel guys out

Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
So after a HPOP fiasco and new alternator the truck is back up and running. I notice that when I'm accelerating from a stop within the first 10 minutes of starting the truck (nothing aggressive) it will be real quiet (see it accelerating but dont really hear it) then around 1400 it will suddenly switch and get loud (can hear the engine) like the truck suddenly comes alive. Not always on the first acceleration of the day but within 10 minutes of starting. After this the truck sounds the same, never goes real quiet on acceleration again.
Is this normal? I read how noisy these trucks can get but with it being my first 7.3 I don't understand all the noises yet

Old 08-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 602 Likes on 391 Posts
Sounds like the EBPV is closing.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Dan V
Sounds like the EBPV is closing.

If the EBPV were closing while he was accelerating, he would be blowing black smoke and have very little power. It shouldn't be operating at all this time of year anyways.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 PM
BrandonT71
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may be hearing some injector cackle once the engine oil is up to operating temp. The following thread goes into this issue,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-in-fuel.html
Do you now the condition and type of oil in the truck, how many miles are on the clock. It could also be fuel related, in which case the in-tank mods,
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
and an FRx would help,
Riffraff Diesel: Fuel Rail Crossover™

Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Where does that second cable on the driver's-side battery go? Unless the 2002's are different, originally only one is attached to that positive battery terminal, and it's the one that's sheathed and goes to the other battery over the core support.

The one that drops down by the headlight is an add-on for something that's non-stock, I believe.

Pop
Pop, that cable is OE on '02-'03 models. It feeds power to the fuse panel in the cab.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Looks like you already have the Ford AIS intake, so you won't need that 6637 filter you mentioned.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:55 AM
BrandonT71
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure looks like the OEM air box to me.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:46 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Brandon, now that I look at it at home (and not on my phone), you are right. Still stock.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Dieselgrowl
Senior User
Originally Posted by BrandonT71
You may be hearing some injector cackle once the engine oil is up to operating temp. The following thread goes into this issue,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-in-fuel.html
Do you now the condition and type of oil in the truck, how many miles are on the clock. It could also be fuel related, in which case the in-tank mods,
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
and an FRx would help,
Riffraff Diesel: Fuel Rail Crossover™
He changed the oil but I didn't know what he put in, so after my HPOP blew I change the oil again with Delo 400.

I plan on doing the in tank mods here soon, pulling the bed before winter so I can clean it up real good.