Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Straight Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 PM
GarrettBabb
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Straight Pipes?

Does anyone think that running straight (exhaust) pipes is a good idea? What are the pros and Cons?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
The pros are, you don't have to buy mufflers. The cons are the number of tickets you are bound to get for excessive noise, emissions test failures, and, on a federal note, removal of emissions equipment. You're better off with a high flow cat and muffler of choice on a V8, or the quietest exhaust possible on an I6.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:15 AM
GarrettBabb
New User
Does my 95 Ford need to pass emissions?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:27 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
A straight pipe after the factory cats usually sounds pretty good on our trucks.

Having straight pipe and true duals usually is just loud and obnoxious. I don't like this option at all unless its on vintage hot rod. At least run mufflers and preferably high flow cats.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 AM
GarrettBabb
New User
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
A straight pipe after the factory cats usually sounds pretty good on our trucks.

Having straight pipe and true duals usually is just loud and obnoxious. I don't like this option at all unless its on vintage hot rod. At least run mufflers and preferably high flow cats.
well thats the thing, im looking for a loud truck. if thats the only "issue" then i think ill do it. i dont think i have to pass emissions do i?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:41 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Do they do emissions tests where you are?

Even if they don't, you still have to comply with federal regulations, which means you have to leave a catalytic converter on like it came from the factory. And if you run a straight pipe exhaust, you're just going to wind up with tickets. Take it from us. We've seen what happens to guys making too much noise.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 AM
GarrettBabb
New User
Originally Posted by GNR22
Do they do emissions tests where you are?

Even if they don't, you still have to comply with federal regulations, which means you have to leave a catalytic converter on like it came from the factory. And if you run a straight pipe exhaust, you're just going to wind up with tickets. Take it from us. We've seen what happens to guys making too much noise.
alright i apreciate the advice, i do live in SMALL town USA tho,, like 2 redlights and a courthouse. Pickup trucks everywhere, i doubt the sheriff will care.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 AM
6.9idiatsturbo
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a 351 no cat on it and a flowmaster original 40 series muffler its loud and it sounds good. everybody is expecting to see a mustang pull up and its my truck i get compliments on it all the time its loud enough to get tickets if you get on it hard but if your like me i dont care all i care about is sounding good. i dont have it ran out the back or dump or anything on it. just the muffler thats it.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Originally Posted by GarrettBabb
alright i apreciate the advice, i do live in SMALL town USA tho,, like 2 redlights and a courthouse. Pickup trucks everywhere, i doubt the sheriff will care.
I know where you're coming from. I live in a city of 1200 people. Occasionally somebody owned a truck that was loud and nobody really cared. When too many people have loud vehicles, the law starts to care because they get complaints and have to take care of it. I'm just trying to warn you so you dont get a ticket.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 AM
GarrettBabb
New User
Originally Posted by GNR22
I know where you're coming from. I live in a city of 1200 people. Occasionally somebody owned a truck that was loud and nobody really cared. When too many people have loud vehicles, the law starts to care because they get complaints and have to take care of it. I'm just trying to warn you so you dont get a ticket.
Appreciate it man

Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hell I live in Charlotte County (fairly populated in some places) and here the local law don't give a rip how loud any particular vehicle is (truck, car, bike, etc) IF it sounds like it's meant to be that way. All my straight-piped V8's never got stopped, but I had a missing muffler on a POS 4 banger... got stopped 2 days later. Difference is the V8 cars/trucks were loud but sounded good, the 4 banger was loud and sounded like a$$.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:22 AM
92 Black Nite
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001

I agree with TexasGuy001,,, But it's clear you want the loudest exhaust you can have. You live in a small town you may be ok. The Pro's ,the Loudest exhaust like you want / Con's , Possibility of lighter wallet... In my area the result of straight pipes would be a boatload of $$$.$$ donations to local municipality.
Of course Your results may vary.

dixie460; 4 banger was loud and sounded like a$$.
That's funny, but is definitely true

Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in a town of 50k, but there are a lot of loud lifted trucks, straight pipes all over and they don't care. Both my mustangs had no cats, one had flowmasters and one had magnaflows. Both were loud and I never once got stopped for it. After I do a 351 swap in the truck I'll run a similar setup on here.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1. My 89 has no muffler, hasn't for years. However, it's not that loud. If you have a factory cat you'll likely be disappointed.

Now... Removing the cat is a federal violation - but many do anyway. So, standard boiler plate because no one here wants the feds shutting down the site for advising people to remove their emissions equipment. Replacement is fine, removal for a street vehicle is a no-no. You're an adult, we'll leave it up to you...

High flow aftermarket cats flow MUCH better and are also louder than stock.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GarrettBabb
Does my 95 Ford need to pass emissions?
Only you can answer that one for us and by your self, check with your local municipality on that, some states require vehicles up to a certain age to still be emissions tested, where others are more lax the older the vehicle, and some states don't even do emmissions testing any more (mine I know is one thats done away with it).

as for removing emmissions equipment, federally its a big no-no, your an adult so we will leave that up to you. but I would follow the advice of others and go with high flow cat and all that mess, pros still good sound, cons...lighter wallet....

now if you choose to remove the emissions equipment thats again UP TO YOU, we will not advise you on doing so, as it still is a federal no-no, so we leave this to you to decide and proceed.

you may (depending on your local law enforcement) recieve tickets and all that, which that will then be between you and the local municipality to deal with. on these trucks with a V8 cats and duals out the rear sound just fine, and for me my stock exaust is just fine, don't want any louder really but I may once its time to replace it go with the high flow cats and the 2.5" pipes for a bit better flow but not planning on super loud truck...

please note that if you do want to remove the cat its strongly advised to replace it, as its there for a reason....

peace and hope you have fun with your truck safely

Quick Reply: Running Straight Pipes?