Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Getting my truck to (what Rich says)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 AM
01PS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting my truck to (what Rich says)

So the 100% thing has been thrown around here a lot recently. I'm wondering where a good place to start is. I am seriously considering sticks, turbo, AIS, possible HPOP, and changing tuners. Do y'all think I should pull my current tuner before I jump in or leave it? I'd like to put together a comprehensive list of things to test/check (in logical order) before lighting my debit card up. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this 100% thing really isnt that hard....make sure you dont have any boost leaks....if you do put is some nice uppies and be done with that....turbo boots....the stock ones suck....get some nice aftermarket boots.....make sure you tighten your wastegate down as much as possible so you dont release air to soon....get all the air out of the fuel.....i am a huge advocate for a regulated return-tank mods-an air dog lift pump and or maybe a sump.....get all the air out of the fuel and you notice a smoother running truck....you dont need injectors unless yours are worn or if you just want to upgrade....hpop....buy an aftermarket one and stick in a new ipr and icp all at the same time......oil-fuel-air....its that simple really....

i just noticed you already have bellowed uppies....

what is it you are worried about and/or trying to accomplish?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:20 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Start with boost leaks. Its relatively easy to check. Then run through all of your maintenance and check systems, coolant comes to mind.

I'd love to eloberate but I'm about to put my head on a pillow and knock out. I'll follow up later.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
How does someone check for boost leaks?

Old 07-03-2013, 12:58 PM
01PS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
Search "boost leak detector". Very simple plans to use a compressor to pressurize your system. Then use soapy water to look for bubbles.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM
01PS
Elder User
Originally Posted by indyF-350psd
this 100% thing really isnt that hard....make sure you dont have any boost leaks....if you do put is some nice uppies and be done with that....turbo boots....the stock ones suck....get some nice aftermarket boots.....make sure you tighten your wastegate down as much as possible so you dont release air to soon....get all the air out of the fuel.....i am a huge advocate for a regulated return-tank mods-an air dog lift pump and or maybe a sump.....get all the air out of the fuel and you notice a smoother running truck....you dont need injectors unless yours are worn or if you just want to upgrade....hpop....buy an aftermarket one and stick in a new ipr and icp all at the same time......oil-fuel-air....its that simple really....

i just noticed you already have bellowed uppies....

what is it you are worried about and/or trying to accomplish?
I'd like a solid running truck with a little more power than I have now. I had plans for boots but didn't even think about fuel. I figure it's time for sticks with 230K on the clock so why not upgrade a bit. I just replaced IPR and ICP a year ago. Do you think they're still needed?

Old 07-03-2013, 01:31 PM
milehi_350
Senior User
Your AE will tell you the condition of your icp sensor, your ipr, and your hpop. Hutch and harpoon is also a good idea to rid the fuel of air. If you don't go crazy on sticks your stock fuel pump and hpop should be fine.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:33 PM
milehi_350
Senior User
Are you unhappy with your current tunes?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 PM
01PS
Elder User
Originally Posted by milehi_350
Are you unhappy with your current tunes?
Not unhappy with my current tunes at all. It is entirely my fault for slapping a tuner on when I first got the truck without fixing everything else first. I think I may be convinced to stick with DP, I'll just HAVE to upgrade to the F6. Pulling this chip for reburn would be a PITA I'd rather avoid.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
01PS
Elder User
Originally Posted by milehi_350
Your AE will tell you the condition of your icp sensor, your ipr, and your hpop. Hutch and harpoon is also a good idea to rid the fuel of air. If you don't go crazy on sticks your stock fuel pump and hpop should be fine.
I have to find my stinkin' OBDII USB thingy first! I should ask you how you like the HD4R100/BTS VB/DP Tunes combo. I have been considering the BTS VB, but had some nasty shifts with my old trans (4R100 no mods) with this tuner. I would say it was the trans trying to tell me something but I got 130K out of it after the tuner. I'm not a fan of the shifting with my new trans, but it doesn't break my neck in the 2-3 shift like it used to.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:45 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
What tunes do you have now? What don't you like about them? Also what are all of your mods? (I apologize if they are in your signature. FTE Mobile does not display signatures.)

Here is a video I made on making a boost leak detector. Once that is done I recommend watching another one of my videos about fixing boost leaks. Boots are a big part but I would recommend plenum inserts (at a minimum) or replacement plenums.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 587 Likes on 381 Posts
Originally Posted by 01PS
I have to find my stinkin' OBDII USB thingy first! I should ask you how you like the HD4R100/BTS VB/DP Tunes combo. I have been considering the BTS VB, but had some nasty shifts with my old trans (4R100 no mods) with this tuner. I would say it was the trans trying to tell me something but I got 130K out of it after the tuner. I'm not a fan of the shifting with my new trans, but it doesn't break my neck in the 2-3 shift like it used to.
When I switch from a DP flashed pcm to a F6, the F6 came with an updated tune. I had Jody massage the trans pressure to remove the harsh shift. No big thing.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Trey thanks for the video!!! I've watch a lot of your videos, thanks for making them!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Originally Posted by 01PS
I'd like a solid running truck with a little more power than I have now. I had plans for boots but didn't even think about fuel. I figure it's time for sticks with 230K on the clock so why not upgrade a bit. I just replaced IPR and ICP a year ago. Do you think they're still needed?
no i would say the ipr and icp are good to go then....most guys dont replace them and if the they are old it will make a difference in how the truck runs for sure.....i would just go with some stage 1 injectors....either 160/146 or 175/146.....i run the 175/146 from swamps and absolutely love them.... a nice increase in power but not over the top.....depending on what else you might do (turbo) you could also do some studs and springs and rods to freshen up your heads.....the stock fuel pump will be sufficient for the injectors i mentioned but it will depend on the health of the stock pump....if you help it out (air dog) your pump will keep up and live longer.....the stock pump is a pusher pump not a sucker so if you send fuel to it and dont make it pull it your pump will thank you.....if youre going to get a turbo...ill suggest an h2e....but seeing as how you already spent the money on bellowed uppies for the stock configuration a 38r might be a better way to go...unless you dont mind spending some cash.....as for the tuner....you can pick up a used ts chip and if you order the injectors from swamps they will reprogram it for free.....a used chip will run you anywhere from 150-200......i personally like the idea of swamps tuning their own injectors.....

Old 07-04-2013, 07:04 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
with one of these if youre not very handy yourself....if you still have the stock turbo youll need the 3" version.....

http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...etector-4.aspx

Quick Reply: Getting my truck to (what Rich says)