Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting oil cooler

saw it on a truck at the junkyard but didn't grab it cause i wasn't sure how well the worked, but it used an adapter block between the oil filter and engine, with two short hoses that ran from a tee in the lower radiator hose, anybody ever see/use one? how did it do?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 PM
zombie_killer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a similar setup on an old chevy 350 I had years ago. However, the adapter plate ported oil away from the filter/adapter through one connection that ran through a finned heat exchanger (small radiator) and then back to the adapter plate to the second connection. It worked great!

Now if he hooked his up directly to a coolant hose...that may be why you saw it in a junk yard.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:58 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
My F250 has one. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, I just know that it's there. I think it may have been part of a towing package or something, not sure.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:46 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
don't bother getting it if you don't know what your oil temps currently are.
that said,iv got one coming cus my oil temps really climbed loaded up and towing my dump trailer the other day.oil temps up over 260* isn't any good.
they don't make that sandwich type you just described for the 7.3l's (couldn't believe it.ticked me right off) but they make a remote oil filter type,so i went that route.which means i also had to order a remount oil filter mount,and will have to use a different size oil filter too.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:23 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
no, I don't know what my oil temps are, I was more thinking that if it was a really effective cooler that I could just set it on a shelf for now. I do really want to do the remote filters on pretty much everything I own. or even if I could use the sandwich adapter towards a remote filter setup.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
.which means i also had to order a remount oil filter mount,and will have to use a different size oil filter too.
I searched and found a remote filter housing that uses the original FL1995 filter.
I have two actually. One billet from a race car vender and one cast one for a piece of equipment.
I didn't want to give up my giant filter so I grabbed these when I found them.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had one on my truck. As far as I know, only trucks with 351 engines got them. Don't think they do much of anything really, there ain't a whole lot of surface area there for heat exchange. I dumped mine. There was mild corrosion in my cooling system when I did my water pump, so I really didn't like the idea of trusting that 16 year old cooler to not spring a leak and contaminate my engine oil with coolant. And the hoses ain't cheap.

For the money I'd spend on the 2 piece lower radiator hose that goes with that cooler, I can buy a small stand-alone cooler to mount behind the grill, and get better cooling since it transfers heat to the outside air instead of already warm coolant.

If you want it, all you need is the cooler itself and the 2 lower radiator hoses. You'll have to swap to a smaller oil filter, the Motorcraft FL820-S.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
I have one that's part of the factory tow package on my truck. These types of coolers also came factory stock on my former Taurus SHO, and my current P71 Crown Vic. Never had an issue with any of them, but I've also never monitored oil temps on any of my vehicles.

Keep in mind, while there's an upper temp limit for your oil, there's also a lower temp limit. You want your oil to get hot enough to burn off condensation. My theory is, the water-cooled oil cooler will cool the oil to a safe temp, while assuring the oil doesn't get too cool.

I suppose a front-mounted stacked plate cooler (like a trans cooler) cools the oil better, but in winter temps it may cool it too much. At that point, you'd need some sort of thermostatic bypass for the oil cooler.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
I searched and found a remote filter housing that uses the original FL1995 filter.
I have two actually. One billet from a race car vender and one cast one for a piece of equipment.
I didn't want to give up my giant filter so I grabbed these when I found them.
ah that would be nice.could i get the links?
i ordered the Perma-Cool 1211,but i can use it for other projects.

Bob,good point.i ordered a 200* mocal remote oil t-stat for mine.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
My E350 bus 460 engine has one. I seen alot on the 460 engines in the junk yards with them, but not on smaller engines.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM
JRSutton
Senior User
Originally Posted by muscletruck7379
saw it on a truck at the junkyard but didn't grab it cause i wasn't sure how well the worked, but it used an adapter block between the oil filter and engine, with two short hoses that ran from a tee in the lower radiator hose, anybody ever see/use one? how did it do?
The way I look at those external oil coolers - unless you're racing - why introduce a potential problem into the heart of your engine?

One of those hoses pops off and you've got an instant catastrophic engine failure.

And for what? To make it run a few degrees cooler than it was designed
to run?

I just don't see a big enough upside, yet a whole lot of potential downside.

I'd stay away from it unless you're operating under some really harsh desert conditions.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
As long as the plumbing is done right, I don't see an issue. AN fittings are the norm on aftermarket oil coolers, which rarely cause an issue.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM
JRSutton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
As long as the plumbing is done right, I don't see an issue. AN fittings are the norm on aftermarket oil coolers, which rarely cause an issue.

My point was I wouldn't do it just to do it, but if your towing heavy loads up lots of hills etc and are experiencing overheating issues - by all means grab it and do it.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
this is exactly what's going on with my diesel.my coolant temps were going up so fast uphill i just didn't understand what was going on.i pull over and stick my point and shoot tool at my oil pan and read 262* and it wasn't even one of the bigger hills! just a longer one.so i ordered up a oil temp gauge and the cooler goods.
you guys have figured out the stuff i recently was searching,and all my fittings are -10 AN.
there's no wonder coolant temps can spike so quickly with the turbo heating up the oil like that (well,not just the turbo,but it's not helping) so this should drastically help everything all the way around.

UNTAMND,
really looking forward to a response when you find the time.no rush,but just don't forget me.
i'll try again to search for such an item,now that i know its out there.i was bummed to see no sandwich, but at least a 1.5-16 thread remote oil filter mount (FL1995 filter size) would be a plus.i run the mobil 1 m1-601,and i'd like to keep running this filter.
looking forward to hearing back from ya,but meanwhile i'll keep looking too.

for anyone here curious further about the aux oil cooler W/ idi & aftermarket turbo;
(sorry i know it was primarily about for the 460,but i don't think anyone minds,as this is a universal topic)
the idi engines came mostly all naturally aspirated (non turbo)
however in 1993 and 1994,ford offered a turbo engine.along with many other upgrades with the optional turbo engines,came a oil cooler that has more fins per square inch than those of the n/a blocks like mine.
Banks warns to monitor oil temps and recommends an oil cooler if temps go up over 240,saying 230 is ideal oil temps in their instructions with the aftermarket turbo.
i don't think i normally have a problem,but i was loaded up max gross and she was warm out.so i'm going to make sure the truck is built and prepared to handle any situation i throw at her at any given time.iv got to be able to load the truck and dump trailer and pull any hill in July and August too.
with a 200* t-sat aft oil filter / pre aux cooler, and AN fittings,she shouldn't ever over cool in the winter,nor leak.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
I was at my garage today and completely forgot to look and see if there was a part number on the filter housing. I was trying to get ready to fly back to Maine and was side tracked.
Ill try not to forget. Send me an email next week (ill be there tomorrow morning for a few minutes)

Call your local Baldwin or fleetguard dealer. They have some awesome stuff. My psd coolant filter and housing I got from them. And my home built air dog filter/pump setup uses fleetguard housings and filters.

The filter sandwich is the issue. Maybe I should start producing them.

Quick Reply: Interesting oil cooler