1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Coolant Temp ???

Old 08-20-2013, 03:20 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wouldn't worry too much about temp sending unit location - other than whats easy - like the plug mentioned above... you might be a few degrees cooler away from the block, but with the rate the coolant flows through an engine, it won't be a big difference.

plus, assuming your temps are OK right now, you're really looking for changes in readings rather than absolute temp in the block.

as long as you're on the engine side of the thermostat, you'll be getting good info in my opinion.

but from my experience with my two trucks and fixing of the ground on one of them (for a separate dash problem), i'd say that the dash temp guage is something more than the idiot light most people think of it as. granted it has no numbers on it, but both of mine has enough fidelity to see when the t-stat is opening and closing - if you know what you're looking for. i figure that's only a few degree difference going on there, so i'd notice if the thing really started overheating!

again, just my opinion, though.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:23 PM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
Thanks Darin. I used that port for the coolant filter barb. I can locate it on the filter head where I have two plugs, but not sure how inaccurate it would be after running through 5 or 6 feet of hose. Probably not more than a couple of degrees I would guess.

My oil temp stays around 215 to 218 when pulling on generally flat to rolling terrain. I am going to put a mechanical coolant gauge on the truck before next summer and see what I get.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:25 PM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
i wouldn't worry too much about temp sending unit location - other than whats easy - like the plug mentioned above... you might be a few degrees cooler away from the block, but with the rate the coolant flows through an engine, it won't be a big difference.

plus, assuming your temps are OK right now, you're really looking for changes in readings rather than absolute temp in the block.

as long as you're on the engine side of the thermostat, you'll be getting good info in my opinion.

but from my experience with my two trucks and fixing of the ground on one of them (for a separate dash problem), i'd say that the dash temp guage is something more than the idiot light most people think of it as. granted it has no numbers on it, but both of mine has enough fidelity to see when the t-stat is opening and closing - if you know what you're looking for. i figure that's only a few degree difference going on there, so i'd notice if the thing really started overheating!

That's probably where I will put the sending unit. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel

I have to agree in that when I changed from the 182* tstat to the 190 my gauge moved from between the N and O to between the O and R. And it is there consistently now. So the gauge picked up the difference in temp and registered it. That made me feel better about the thing.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:22 AM
MPT
New User
I have wanted to try electric fans on my diesel

Old 05-23-2016, 01:09 PM
kyle6241
Senior User
Originally Posted by MPT
I have wanted to try electric fans on my diesel
It was couple yrs ago when I was thinking about electric fans and as I remember the cfm on the electric fan was nothing compared to the regular fan on the pickup

be sure to compare the cfm with what you have with the cfm of the electric

Kyle