Sponsored by: Moser

Second heavy tow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Second heavy tow!

So I couldn't even get 2,300 miles on the truck before I overloaded it. I used it to deliver my Excursion to the new buyer. Here's what I had for weight:

Excursion: 7,250 lbs
Trailer: 4,600
Junk in nose of trailer: ~250 lbs

All weights come from certified weight tickets except for the junk in the front of the trailer. I had a solid 12,000 lbs behind the new truck tonight!

Proof:

Will it fit?

YUP, it fits!

And it looks good doing it:

Overall I was really blown away with how the little V6 did with this much weight behind it. The biggest challenge I had was traction for the rear axle; I nearly needed 4WD to get out of the driveway. Taking off required serious self-control on the go pedal to keep the rear wheels from spinning, and even so I squealed them unintentionally several times. Saw numerous hills up to 4°(7%), and I never exceeded 3,000 RPMs the entire way out there. At no point in time did I ever feel like I didn't have as much power as I wanted. Because my trailer was properly loaded sway wasn't an issue, the trailer went exactly where I wanted it to the whole way there. Braking was superb with the IBC and gain set at 8, which makes sense considering the trailer has a 14,000 GVWR.

I got some good mileage as well:

Extremely satisfied with the new truck! Sorry to see the old one go though.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome report Tom! You will soon forget all about that excursion as it was a gas HOG. Great to hear even slightly overloaded it pulled and handled well for you! I can't wait to get mine!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:00 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, how'd you get your wife out of the Excursion?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I figure she was sold with the Excursion.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ri_truck_guy
So, how'd you get your wife out of the Excursion?
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I figure she was sold with the Excursion.
Haha, would be nice. I had to run around and let her out of the back gate.

And on a side note, PrinceValium, would you mind editing your post to remove the IMG tags from your quote? It makes the thread hard to read with the photos being repeated.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Man Tom! brand new and the CEL is on.. you have no oil pressure...wtf? haha! JK (im sure the engine was off, i hope )

looks good. sad to see the excursion go but you gotta do what you gotta do. i sold one and it will never happen again. this one is going to the grave with me gas mileage be damned!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Very nice report! Look forward to a ride along next week Tom.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Thanks everyone! And yes Russ, the engine was off. Of course this thing does consistently misfire for a few seconds on a cold start, but I haven't made an issue of it yet.

Originally Posted by senix
Very nice report! Look forward to a ride along next week Tom.
I think you're gonna be as impressed as I am Scott! You and anyone else are welcome to drive it as well.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Thanks for the call earlier tonight Tom! Nice report BTW. Proof in the pudding that a properly equipped truck can do some pretty stout towing.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now we see what the EB's will do with a real load. Looks like it did the job. Very Nice. Chris

Old 06-14-2013, 09:13 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Tom,

How did it feel with the factory P rated tires? Would you have been more comfortable with LT rated tires or would you even recommend spending the money?

This h as been discussed pretty widely here , just looking for your opinion.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Thanks everyone! And yes Russ, the engine was off. Of course this thing does consistently misfire for a few seconds on a cold start, but I haven't made an issue of it yet.

I think you're gonna be as impressed as I am Scott! You and anyone else are welcome to drive it as well.
misfire ??

Old 06-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by tseekins
Tom,

How did it feel with the factory P rated tires? Would you have been more comfortable with LT rated tires or would you even recommend spending the money?

This has been discussed pretty widely here , just looking for your opinion.
Thanks for bringing this up Tim, my opinion hasn't changed since my first heavy tow thread.

Just as before I had a properly loaded trailer with ~10% tongue weight and a weight-distributing hitch. At no point in time did I ever feel like it was hard to control, but understanding how top-heavy that Excursion is I was very careful how fast I went around corners. Lots will call it blasphemy when I say this, but the new F150 felt better towing this much weight than my Excursion did with brand-new BF Goodrich LR E tires! I attribute this to the (1) longer wheel base and (2) precise rack and pinion steering with IFS. It's a much tighter handling truck than the Excursion empty, so it's logical that it is a much tighter handling truck with a trailer.

It's important to remember that I never got on the interstate for this trip, but I did get as high as 55 MPH on some of the back roads.

At this point in time I've exceeded the rated capacity of the truck and have towed heavier than anyone I've read about here on FTE. And I have no plans on upgrading my tires, as I don't feel that there will be any meaningful benefit. I've had more miles towing trailers than many here have driving in total, and this bone-stock setup with WD hitch is all I could ever ask for.

Originally Posted by az_r2d1
misfire ??
Yup, it's been constant ever since I brought it home. But only for the first few seconds on a cold start; all other times it's just fine. Perhaps tomorrow I'll have my wife start the truck and I'll take a video from near the exhaust pipe to see what you guys think. I've had lots of new vehicles, and I don't really stress about minor things. Eventually I'll get around to taking it in.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok Tom...maybe NOW you will put the F150 towing your big trailer in your signature since you sold the excursion!...

Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Prince I was just gonna say that lol.

Tom my truck has the same misfire at cold start, its in right now for that and no power after a extended trip on the highway also a check engine light. The truck is a 12 EB not my 06 in the sig.

Looks good towing that trailer too!!!

Sarge

Quick Reply: Second heavy tow!