1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Sound gurus

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound gurus

Hey guys, I'm about to buy 2 12" subs from a friend and plan on building a custom box to put behind my rear seats. The Previous owner had a custom box back there and it sounded good, however they did not come with the truck. My question is this- The subs arent shallow subs, theyre regular old 12's. Will they work on a box behind the seat and not take up too much room? Im going to port the box on the ends facing the doors, but the space behind the sub will have to be limited...will this still sound okay?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i build a box for my crew cab with 2 10” alpine subs and run those on a mrp500 mono amp. A lot of people think, those subs are bigger, because of the sound. The box goes all the way across, and has a center divider. It is not ported. I build it out of 3/4” mdf. it is about 8 inches wide at the bottom, 4 inches up top and as high as the seats.
Up front i run 6 1/2” component speakers with Tweeters up on the fwd corner of the door panels. they are Alpine as well. Radio is a alpine with cd and bluetooth.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
ohh.. check out cowboom.com this is where i buy usually my sound equipment from. its used, but great prices

Old 06-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

How deep are your subs though? Are they standards or shallow subs?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:39 PM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ford4Life7.3
How deep are your subs though? Are they standards or shallow subs?
Can't remember how deep , but they were not the shallow ones

Old 06-14-2013, 04:52 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What model subs are you looking at? If your not sure, do you at least know how deep they are?

Even with the knowledge that they aren't shallow mounts, we can't know how deep they really are without the model # or a measurement. A model # would be best so I can see how much air space they will need for a ported or sealed box. We also have to know how much space you have behind the seat. Measure top of the seat to the back of the cab and bottom of the seat to the back of the cab and measure the width you have.

I have some 12" Alpine subs out on the shelf that are 4 1/2" deep, then I have some JLs that are around 7 1/2" deep. So as you can tell, there is a pretty wide range of mounting depths out there and why it would be helpful to know exactly what you have to determine whether they will actually fit and if you'll be able to build a box to suite them in your truck.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
What model subs are you looking at? If your not sure, do you at least know how deep they are?

Even with the knowledge that they aren't shallow mounts, we can't know how deep they really are without the model # or a measurement. A model # would be best so I can see how much air space they will need for a ported or sealed box. We also have to know how much space you have behind the seat. Measure top of the seat to the back of the cab and bottom of the seat to the back of the cab and measure the width you have.

I have some 12" Alpine subs out on the shelf that are 4 1/2" deep, then I have some JLs that are around 7 1/2" deep. So as you can tell, there is a pretty wide range of mounting depths out there and why it would be helpful to know exactly what you have to determine whether they will actually fit and if you'll be able to build a box to suite them in your truck.
Thanks for the reply man. Here is a link to them

Audiobahn DUB200 12" DUB Series Dual 4 ohms Subwoofer w/ Grill

Ill go out and measure the space behind my back seat. Im not sure as im in the middle of doing the SD seat swap so i have to see where i want to mount the seats as that will determine how much room i have.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok. 6 3/8" mounting depth should be ok to fit back there. Looks like the minimum ported box air space you need is 1.2 cu ft. per sub with a 3x6.75" port. From what I read, that sub would be happier around 2.2-3.1 cu ft though in a ported box and of course port size increases with more air volume as well. I've never built a ported box so when it comes to port velocity and port shapes, I get lost.

Personally I'd just run a sealed box and see how it is. That sub needs a minimum of 0.75 cu ft and a maximum of 1.5 cu ft per sub in a sealed box. From what I understand the more air space you provide in a sealed box, the deeper the tone will be from the sub, but it won't hit as hard. The smaller the box, the higher the tone, but the harder the sub will hit. So a happy medium would be around 1.0-1.10 cu ft in a sealed box. That should be do-able behind the seat of your truck.

So if you have the space to get around 1.2 cu ft per sub, you could try the box sealed and ported and decide which you like better.

Something I did for the last system I built to keep in mind if you run into this problem. I didn't have enough mounting depth in the box to fit the sub, I needed about 1/2" more depth and was using 3/4" MDF. So I cut out the back of the box so the magnet would sit down in the hole and then covered the back with another piece of MDF. That let the magnet side down in the box a little bit with about 1/4" to spare and the box still fit under the seat. Those subs sounded really good, so I don't think the magnet being so close to the box hurt anything.