1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Headunit USB extension not supported?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Aftermarket Headunit USB extension not supported?

So I have a Pioneer AVH-4400BH and I added a USB extension to it over the weekend and mounted it in my center console. I pulled back the carpet and everything went through all this trouble (also was installing a GPS) and after i buttoned it all back up I plugged my iPod in and no luck it says not supported format. I didn't think to check if it worked before i reinstalled everything because i figured its a USB cable whats the difference if its another 6-10 ft long. Has anyone else had this issue before or have any ideas what i might need to do? It would suck to have to get rid of the USB cable after putting it in.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM
OhioSuperbike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the error message read "Charging is not supported with this accessory", and look something like this?

The reason I ask is because this charging issue has been a long standing debate recently among later generation iPod/iPhone users and has happened to me. If it's just a charging issue you should still be able to play your iPod....it just won't charge. Let me know, I should be able to offer a couple of ideas to at least narrow down the problem.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
It doesn't display that message bug I noticed it doesn't charge either. Its a 4th gen iPod touch also the radio is what says not supported. I have it on two 6ft extensions I really only needed 8 feet but I didn't find that out until I routed the cable. I was thinking my first 6ft extension might just be a bad quality. I was thinking of buying a good quality 2 ft extension. The last 6ft is a good quality cable made to be installed in a dashboard.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:05 PM
OhioSuperbike
New User
Ah yes, 4th gen iPod Touch....I have the same.

Okay, I would try to eliminate the cable(s) first. Grab the USB cable that came with your iPod...or at least one that you know works properly. Use this cable to connect your iPod to the head unit's USB port. If everything functions correctly then you know it's the cable(s). Hopefully it's that simple.

Something else to consider....it looks like the AVH-4400BH is Bluetooth ready. So another solution could be to try setting up your iPod to play through the Bluetooth Audio source. That way you can listen to your tunes wirelessly. I recently installed a Kenwood DPX500BT on my truck. It is Bluetooth equipped and that's how I use my iPod.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Megahertz
New User
Don't hold me to this but I've been looking at a simular model the 8400BHS. I thought it said there was a cable that was needed. I don't think they were talking about the usb one it seemed ipod/ipad/iphone specific. I don't use apple stuff but I just remember reading that in my research. Good Luck.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by OhioSuperbike
Ah yes, 4th gen iPod Touch....I have the same.

Okay, I would try to eliminate the cable(s) first. Grab the USB cable that came with your iPod...or at least one that you know works properly. Use this cable to connect your iPod to the head unit's USB port. If everything functions correctly then you know it's the cable(s). Hopefully it's that simple.

Something else to consider....it looks like the AVH-4400BH is Bluetooth ready. So another solution could be to try setting up your iPod to play through the Bluetooth Audio source. That way you can listen to your tunes wirelessly. I recently installed a Kenwood DPX500BT on my truck. It is Bluetooth equipped and that's how I use my iPod.
Ill have to do that this weekend when I have time to pull the dash and console again to see if it works. At least i do not need to remove the carpet yet. I did try a known working cable at the end and it did work before installing the extensions. I forgot about bluetooth though so I could do that for now.

Originally Posted by Megahertz
Don't hold me to this but I've been looking at a simular model the 8400BHS. I thought it said there was a cable that was needed. I don't think they were talking about the usb one it seemed ipod/ipad/iphone specific. I don't use apple stuff but I just remember reading that in my research. Good Luck.
Yes they do have a cable I purchased another one off of amazon that works fine. It was half the price and twice the length lol I read into it more (after i bough it of course) and that cable is not needed unless you plan on playing video files which for me i don't need but just a heads up so you don't spend an unneeded $40+ bucks. If you do get the cable i would suggest the amazon one i got it for $20 i can dig up the link if your interested.