1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Went to the junkyard today for a couple of little things.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 PM
buie1289
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to the junkyard today for a couple of little things.....

Went to get tail light lenses and cluster and all this stuff followed me home. I don't know why this always happens

I'll need to dye these before I put them in. I mainly wanted them because of the shoulder belts.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:03 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I know what you mean!!!

Nice finds! The "Ford" tailgate decor panels retail for around $250 from DC. The other upper tailgate panel, undented, is relatively rare.

Today, I went to the Good Guys show in Pleasanton, CA and picked up a pair of 70 Mach 1 seats for $100... needs foam and upholstery but the bones are there. They're going into my 70 Bumpside project.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM
buie1289
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Nice finds! The "Ford" tailgate decor panels retail for around $250 from DC. The other upper tailgate panel, undented, is relatively rare.

Today, I went to the Good Guys show in Pleasanton, CA and picked up a pair of 70 Mach 1 seats for $100... needs foam and upholstery but the bones are there. They're going into my 70 Bumpside project.
Good info, HIO Silver. In that case I did pretty well. I ended up with just over $300 in the whole trip. I've never been to this yard before, but there were quite a few dentsides and a few bumps too. All within 30 miles of my house.

Will you do the console with those Mach1 seats or something else? That seems like a good price.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:05 PM
jimdandyf100
Senior User
Do you know if the junkyard owner will post to Australia? I need a few bits of trim to replace and out here, they're really expensive.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by buie1289
Good info, HIO Silver. In that case I did pretty well. I ended up with just over $300 in the whole trip. I've never been to this yard before, but there were quite a few dentsides and a few bumps too. All within 30 miles of my house.

Will you do the console with those Mach 1 seats or something else? That seems like a good price.
I have my favorite yard that is in between SF and Sacramento. There are lots of trucks and it seems hardly anyone goes there because there are already yards in those metro areas. The decor panels (Bump and Dent) cost a total of $18 because they only differentiate between "large" and "small" exterior trim.

Good question on the console. There was a fellow FTE'er who recently installed Bronco buckets in a Dentside using a bracket from Corbeau. Here's the thread:
FTE: Bronco Bucket Seats in a Dentside

I bookmarked the thread cuz I'm thinking of doing the same for my 73 and using a Bronco console. For the Bump, Fordification has shop drawings for the OEM bucket seat option to which these Mach 1 seats will bolt to. I just might make those and then, maybe, use a Bronco center console or whip up my own design. I dunno yet for sure yet .. too many ideas bouncing around my head and I'm dealing with two ongoing projects.. the Dent is pretty much done but the Bump is just beginning.

Yeah, I thought $100 for the pair was a fair price. Add $170 for upholstery and $220 for new foam. The total is about $250 each which is acceptable to me for "new" vintage highback seats.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 PM
buie1289
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jimdandyf100
Do you know if the junkyard owner will post to Australia? I need a few bits of trim to replace and out here, they're really expensive.
I'm pretty sure the owner won't do much to help. They seemed a bit unfriendly to me. But I may be able to help. I will be back there again in the coming weeks. Tell me what you need and I'll try to find it when I go back. I can send it to you myself.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:26 PM
buie1289
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I have my favorite yard that is in between SF and Sacramento. There are lots of trucks and it seems hardly anyone goes there because there are already yards in those metro areas. The decor panels (Bump and Dent) cost a total of $18 because they only differentiate between "large" and "small" exterior trim.

Good question on the console. There was a fellow FTE'er who recently installed Bronco buckets in a Dentside using a bracket from Corbeau. Here's the thread:
FTE: Bronco Bucket Seats in a Dentside

I bookmarked the thread cuz I'm thinking of doing the same for my 73 and using a Bronco console. For the Bump, Fordification has shop drawings for the OEM bucket seat option to which these Mach 1 seats will bolt to. I just might make those and then, maybe, use a Bronco center console or whip up my own design. I dunno yet for sure yet .. too many ideas bouncing around my head and I'm dealing with two ongoing projects.. the Dent is pretty much done but the Bump is just beginning.

Yeah, I thought $100 for the pair was a fair price. Add $170 for upholstery and $220 for new foam. The total is about $250 each which is acceptable to me for "new" vintage highback seats.
I would be interested to see what you end up going with. I may get some ideas for future projects.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Here's my 70's build thread. It's a slow slog due to a house remodel: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ide-build.html

I recently received the EFI kit....

Old 06-01-2013, 10:08 PM
460 FORD MAN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lucky! WhenI go to the j/y I can't even find a dent.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Good score on those trim panels! Like HIO said, the undented ones are a tough find. I managed to get one of the uppers, with a light silver/white paint (looked stock to me) with only a minor dent.

And you're not the only one who comes back from a junkyard with more than you went for. Happens to the best of us

-Jameson

Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 PM
buie1289
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jgavac
And you're not the only one who comes back from a junkyard with more than you went for. Happens to the best of us

-Jameson
Yeah I pretend to whine about it but I secretly like it.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:18 PM
buie1289
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 460 FORD MAN
Lucky! WhenI go to the j/y I can't even find a dent.
Yeah, it's always been that way for me too. There are a few yards around here with a few dents but they're all so picked over they're pretty much bare. This yard was different. They had tons of new stuff and almost no older stuff, except Ford. I think the owner does mud bogs with older Ford stuff, maybe that's why he holds on to them. He doesn't seem interested in selling drivetrain (axles, trans, etc) but the pretty stuff is apparently fair game.

Still can't find a bed though.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 PM
jeff14346
Senior User
is that seat a direct bolt in by chance? what did it come out of?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 PM
buie1289
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jeff14346
is that seat a direct bolt in by chance? what did it come out of?
For sure not direct bolt in so far. They came out of a 2005 F-150. My truck didn't come with shoulder belts and these seats were almost free, so I'm willing to do some extra work to "make 'em fit". I've tinkered around with them and it 'looks' like I can drill out the rivets that hold the mounting feet on the rails and just swap the feet from a bench over. It also looks like I may get away with just changing the outside rails. I'm sure ill have to weld some supports to the cab for safety. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics and document this process thoroughly. I'll be starting this process this week, so stay tuned.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Killgore
Posting Guru
What is in the top right hand corner by the rear windshield?

Quick Reply: Went to the junkyard today for a couple of little things.....