Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Injector Return lines

Old 05-30-2013, 04:38 PM
MauleOne
Elder User
MauleOne is starting off with a positive reputation.
Injector Return lines

My return lines are leaking.

It seems to be where the cup goes over the injector and has the packings in it. It is creating a puddle of fuel down by the glow plug.

I hate to have to buy the whole kit because it comes with parts I don't need.

Can any one tell me the size or p/n of the packing that goes inside of the cup that fits over the injector?

Mine are the "late" model cups if that makes any difference on the packing size.

Thanks

Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Chevy_Eater
Postmaster
Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.
It's a pair of O-Rings:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13195833

Originally Posted by MauleOne View Post
My return lines are leaking.

It seems to be where the cup goes over the injector and has the packings in it. It is creating a puddle of fuel down by the glow plug.

I hate to have to buy the whole kit because it comes with parts I don't need.

Can any one tell me the size or p/n of the packing that goes inside of the cup that fits over the injector?

Mine are the "late" model cups if that makes any difference on the packing size.

Thanks

Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
it's strongly advised to replace the whole kit as an assembly due to the strong possibility of disturbing the other o-rings/lines and find yourself chasing your tail for days,weeks or even months latter.
for recommended kits, see here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-line-kit.html

however with that said, the answer to your question is:
7/16 ID x 5/8 OD
and as noted by Niles above,they are commonly refereed to by their dash size: #111

Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Chevy_Eater
Postmaster
Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.
Hat tip to TechGod though.

In my case I have the new caps and hose already. My McMaster order arrived today, 50 of the viton O-rings for just over $10 after shipping.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I used a $~50 kit off Ebay. Worked fine so far, been about 8 months and no leaks. I've found you have to sort of install them then let it leak for a couple of heat/cool cycles, once things "settle" the leaks go away.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 AM
FMC_Convert
Freshman User
FMC_Convert is starting off with a positive reputation.
I broke the injector cap on the #2 cylinder during an unrelated repair. Couldn't get just one replacement cap (no surprise) so bought a kit from Autozone. Kit included fuel line, pinch clamps, and 10 injector caps - 4 right angle and 6 straight. Cost me $28.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:18 AM
MauleOne
Elder User
Fuel Return Lines

Thanks for all the responses. Helps me a lot.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:33 PM
aboisseau
New User
aboisseau is starting off with a positive reputation.
cap position

I just put in a whole new replacement kit and I had a few questions. I had a no-start for quite a while and putting in the new return line kit seems to be what got it going again unless it was just a luck coincidence. When I push the caps on, how far down should they go? Before replacing I noticed that there was about a 1/16" gap between the fuel line nut and the top of the cap on #8. The rest of the caps looked flush with the nuts on all the other cylinders. When I put the new kit in I was able to see that there were some little grooves on the inside of the caps where the o-rings were supposed to sit. I pushed all the caps on and most of them seemed to, "click" into place. Now they all have that 1/16" gap. Did I push them down too far or is this how they are supposed to look? I'm getting foam in the return line headed back to the tank. I was hoping this was just air in the system that would get purged out while running, but it doesn't appear to be happening. It also seems like it's a little harder to start and I'm afraid I'm gonna get stuck again. Final question. I accidentally stripped the fuel line on #1. I replaced the line and the spacer that sits on top or the #1 injector with a junkyard part I ordered online. When the part arrived there was a plastic washer that appeared to go with the spacer. I couldn't find one on my setup and everything seemed to fit, so I just left it out. Am I missing something? Thoughts?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:51 PM
FMC_Convert
Freshman User
aboisseau,

Like you, I'm a newby here. The one thing I noted again and again in the threads about the return fuel lines was to make sure to lubricate the O-rings when you install them.

I actually re-used my O-rings when I replaced the broken fuel injector cap, but only because from the appearance of the fuel line and pinch clamps it looked as though a full replacement kit had been installed only a short time before. Still, I made certain I lubricated the O-rings before I pushed on the new injector cap.

Like I said, I'm a newby, but when you say you have foam in the return line that certainly sounds like you may have a damaged or misaligned O-ring, allowing air into the fuel return line.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:27 PM
aboisseau
New User
aboisseau is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks FMC

Thanks FMC! I did lubricate the O-rings, but not all the caps felt the same, "click" like they were popping into place. What about the gap between the top of the plastic cap and the nut? Do you have the 1/16" gap or are your fuel line nuts flush with the caps?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:24 PM
FMC_Convert
Freshman User
Sorry for the no-reply. I've been out of town.

I'll check on the spacing tomorrow, in the daylight.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:05 AM
1991 F Super Duty
Freshman User
1991 F Super Duty is starting off with a positive reputation.
When installing the caps, I have found that some will click and some will not. To ensure that they are seated, I take a deep socket, just big enough to fit over the threads on the injector and rest on the top of the caps. I then lightly tap on the socket till I feel or hear the click. Remember these do not need to pounded on just lightly tapped down. this method saves abuse on your hands, and allows you to put even pressure on the cap, avoiding possible damage to the o-rings by not putting the cap on straight.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:07 PM
FMC_Convert
Freshman User
Originally Posted by aboisseau View Post
Thanks FMC! I did lubricate the O-rings, but not all the caps felt the same, "click" like they were popping into place. What about the gap between the top of the plastic cap and the nut? Do you have the 1/16" gap or are your fuel line nuts flush with the caps?
There is a small gap between the fuel line nut and the caps.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Johnny L
Senior User
Johnny L is starting off with a positive reputation.
I put an extra o-ring between the cap and the injector line nut to ensure a little downforce on the return cap. The o-ring will just squish out if it needs to.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM
MauleOne
Elder User
Return Lines

Interesting.

Thanks for all the replys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Injector Return lines

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.