Save your E4OD transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:00 PM
gman97005
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Save your E4OD transmission

The biggest enemy of any transmission is heat, this especially holds true with the E4OD, it really doesn't like temps any higher than about 190F and will begin to **** and moan if continually pushed, a rebuilt E4OD plus towing is rather expensive nowadays and you can save your loads of time, money and inconvenience by installing a supplemental Trans fluid cooler, the factory liquid to liquid cooler built-in to the radiator is only adequate if the vehicle is used normally, ie: no towing, no extreme loads, no hill climbing, etc. ATF itself begins to lose it's quantative properties after about 170F, for every 10 degree drop in your ATF temperature you literally double the life of the transmission so if you were running your transmission fluid temp at 200F and just by lowering it 10 degrees you doubled the life of your transmission, another 1o degree drop and double that number, etc. There is no minimum temperature specification for ATF like there is for motor oil, in other words you can't cool it too much whereas motor oil has a happy medium, not too cool and not too hot.
Hayden sells cheap insurance in the form of air/liquid supplemental fluid coolers, these air/liquid fluid are designed to be used in conjunction with the factory liquid/liquid fluid cooler built-in to the radiator, if the water temp hovers aroiund 180F then you know the trans fluid leaving the heat exchanger in the radiator is also about 180F, this is still higher than the recommended max temp of 170F, so we run the fluid into a supplemental liquid/air cooler and we can drop it another 30 degrees easily with the right cooler, the transmission would be very happy for years to come with a steady diet of 150F degree ATF in its belly. There are 2 main types of air/liquid fluid coolers, the early tube and fin style and the 40% more effective plate and fin style, i prefer the later plate and fin because of its effectiveness and decreased profile, the equivalent tube and fin cooler would be 75% larger to do the same job as the plate and fin, there are a few companies that make air/liquid plate and fin fluid coolers but Hayden makes a great product for a great price, the 3 models of plate and fin fluid coolers they make is the 677, 678 and 679, 99% of us only need the 677 or 678 at the most as the 679 is rated for class motorhomes and such, as i said earlier you can't cool the fluid too much so using a larger cooler than what is required will not hurt one bit, if you got the space and the cash go for it.
In the early a lot of people were turned off by the installation hassles and almost guaranteed fluid leaks by sliding rubber hose over transmission fluid lines then using 12 hose clamps to seal the leaks, those days are long gone and Hayden sells the fittings that screw into the radiator and allow you to do it yourself in no time flat, $50 spent now is much less than $5,000 spent later.
here are the fittings most of us will need.. Accessories and Parts for 1992 Ford Van - Derale D13024
Amazon has the best prices on Hayden Fluid Coolers but do as you wish, i'm only here to save your transmission
Amazon.com: hayden fluid coolers

Old 05-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,589 Likes on 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by gman97005
The biggest enemy of any transmission is heat,
So far, so good. That's true.

the factory liquid to liquid cooler built-in to the radiator is only adequate if the vehicle is used normally, ie: no towing, no extreme loads, no hill climbing, etc.
What about the air to oil cooler already installed from the factory? Are you just ignoring this?

ATF itself begins to lose it's quantative properties after about 170F,
That's just a flat out lie.

for every 10 degree drop in your ATF temperature you literally double the life of the transmission so if you were running your transmission fluid temp at 200F and just by lowering it 10 degrees you doubled the life of your transmission, another 1o degree drop and double that number, etc.
You're now two for two! Two statements, two lies.

There is no minimum temperature specification for ATF like there is for motor oil, in other words you can't cool it too much
Congratulations! You've scored a hat trick! That's three lies in a row!

if the water temp hovers aroiund 180F then you know the trans fluid leaving the heat exchanger in the radiator is also about 180F,
I'll give you a break on this one. You've probably said this due to ignorance on how the system works.

If the engine coolant temperature is 180°F, then the coolant around the transmission cooler inside the radiator will be quite a bit cooler. You don't really think the coolant leaving the radiator to return to the engine is the same temperature as the coolant entering the radiator, do you? If it was, why even have a radiator? If it isn't lowering the temperature of the coolant, why have it?

The transmission cooler inside the radiator is in the cool side. This coolant has already been cooled by the radiator. It is anywhere from 15-100°F cooler than the engine temperature, depending on how hard the engine is working and the ambient temperature. So if the coolant entering the radiator is 180°F, then the coolant around the transmission cooler is 165°F worst case.

recommended max temp of 170F, so we run the fluid into a supplemental liquid/air cooler and we can drop it another 30 degrees easily with the right cooler, the transmission would be very happy for years to come with a steady diet of 150F degree ATF in its belly.
170°F is the ideal temperature, not the recommended max temperature. 220°F is the recommend continuous max temperature, with 250°F the short term max temperature. I do agree that it is better to run it at 150°F than at 220°F, but I do not agree that 170°F is the recommended max temperature. Only one that had very little transmission knowledge, or is trying to scare people into buying transmission coolers, would recommend that temperature as a maximum.

There are 2 main types of air/liquid fluid coolers, the early tube and fin style and the 40% more effective plate and fin style,
Finally something we can agree on!

as i said earlier you can't cool the fluid too much so using a larger cooler than what is required will not hurt one bit,
Fluid that is too cool reduces efficiency in the transmission, which means it takes more fuel to power the truck. Also, in the winter, if the fluid doesn't get warm enough moisture will collect in the transmission from condensation. Warmer temperatures will drive off this moisture.

The Ford 6.0L cooler is a much better cooler than any of these. It is also a direct bolt in to any 1999 or newer Superduty.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:38 PM
gman97005
Elder User
I really don't care for someone calling me a liar, that's fighting words and i don't play, i would suggest you find another way to express our difference in opinion other than the way you chose, fair warning..

Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 876 Likes on 728 Posts
Wow! From someone just washed ashore... As they say in the NFL training camps to the FNGs, "Welcome to the big leagues, rookie."

Liar" might be a bit harsh. Perhaps "unknowledgeable", "ignorant", or something similar might be more in tune with someone regurgitating advertising copy read on the internet from snake oil sellers. If you are stating something that is "factually challenged", ie false, guess what that makes you?

Old 05-20-2013, 04:54 PM
gman97005
Elder User
Instead of just following along and supporting the use of a trans cooler you choose to scrutinize the post and pick it apart, the attitude you take towards someone offering help only makes you the ignorant rookie, social skills are not one of your strong points and probably never will be, there's a technique to add to someones info without bashing them but you never learned it either, there's a term for people like you but i am just a little bigger than that and leave the name calling to you boys..

Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
gman,

Now we appreciate your concern on our behalf about our transmissions, but well, you have to take a look at the bottom of Mark`s post.

Notice the: Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer: I bolded it for ya.

Once you start talking transmission stuff on FTE and it passes the scrutiny of Mark, then we will give you a chance to show your stuff.

Until then,

Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,589 Likes on 1,063 Posts
I really don't care for someone calling me a liar, that's fighting words and i don't play, i would suggest you find another way to express our difference in opinion other than the way you chose, fair warning..
Maybe instead of lies I should have just said that almost everything in your post is factually incorrect. The best case that I can see is that you don't have a clue as to how any of this works. What I think is happening is that the Amazon links you provided are your Amazon store and you're trying to make money here by trying to scare people with your factually incorrect post.

Posting things that you don't know about and trying to pass yourself off as someone that knows what he is talking about doesn't help people. Well, maybe it will help you if your making money from this.