Sponsored by:

Yet another Cruise Control thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Grist Bros
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another Cruise Control thread!

I'm a new owner of an '05 EB Excursion 6.0 PSD. When I bought it, I noticed the CC and horn wasn't working, so I took it to the dealership. At first, they said the switches on the wheel were bad, so they replaced them. That didn't fix it. They then told me that it was the relay in the junction box and quoted me $700 to replace it. I just couldn't go for that. So, I decided to start looking at fixing it myself, that's when I noticed the fuse was missing from the horn/cruise control circuit. I borrowed the 15A fuse from the adjustable pedals. Now the horn and the cc works! The light comes on the dash when I use the CC, but never comes on during the self-diagnostic check (CC button "Off" pressed while turning ignition "On").

Anyway, does anyone have any idea why the diagnostic doesn't work? Also, any other things I should watch for? I don't have the fuses on my brake pressure switch, but my Ford Service Adviser said all recalls have been completed on my Ex. I'm guessing the inline fuse for the recall for the brake switch weren't needed for my vehicle?

I guess I'm just worried about having an electrical problem that is dormant at this time. I will be traveling soon and am nervous about causing an issue on the road.

Please help!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:41 PM
3cv
Senior User

I had the same thing, missing fuse. But I spent more time than I'm willing to admit before I figured that out. I checked all the fuses without figuring out which one was the CC/Horn and they were all good, they just weren't all there.

So the CC works but the diag doesn't? What you have says that diag works with the specific year and fuel type? When I was digging around I saw mention of some different behaviors depending.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Grist Bros
Freshman User
I was guessing that what I read about the diagnostic will work for all newer Excursions. But yes, the cc worked this eve on my way home. I would find it strange if nothing is wrong with the system, but the fuse was pulled. Maybe an intermittent problem that I haven't seen yet. I'll do a longer test on the road tomorrow.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 PM
3cv
Senior User

Yeah I had the same question, why would someone pull the fuse on the CC/Horn. I found all sorts of wires and a speaker for an aftermarket security system. Maybe they had a dukes of hazard horn from the security system, I can only hope...

I haven't found any mention of pulling that fuse as any part of a common fix or precaution. And I've looked at every CC thread I can find anywhere. So I just went with it and so far so good.

I got my v10 X down in Wichita as a matter of fact. Maybe its a Wichita thing.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:59 AM
Grist Bros
Freshman User
Haha, maybe it is! I'm like you, have read every thread I could find about the cc problems. I hope to have the luck that you have had by just putting the fuse in. Not replacing the junction block would save a lot of money!

Did you buy your X from a dealer or private person in Wichita?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:00 AM
3cv
Senior User

Yeah Perrys or however its spelled. Its limited with 4.30 gears and v10. It has a few dings here and there, needed the slip yoke on the drive shaft lubed, tires, the cc/horn fuse issue and a pile if wires removed that were there to support audio and security equipment that were no longer there. But seems pretty solid. Put a Hellwig sway bar on it and a 5-star tune. Now if we could just get vacationing.

We went down to another dealer in Wichita intending to buy a 3/4 ton burb but after getting there and dealing with them looking over our trade they couldn't find it. A suit from the dealership had taken it on vacation, it was setting in the OKC airport parking lot. I think it turned out for the best though, we got the X without a trade and without any financing.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Grist Bros
Freshman User
Awesome! I'm glad it worked out. I had a nice OBS 7.3 and loved it, but it was 2wd and I wanted more room for my family to travel in. We have an English Mastiff and he takes up a lot of room as well! I wanted diesel if I was getting an Excursion, even if it has high probability for engine trouble. I'm just going to start saving now for repairs!