5th wheel vs bumper pull

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel vs bumper pull

I pretty much convinced myself to get the F250 so that later on I can maybe carry motorcycles, ATVs or snowmobile in the bed.

I'm also getting a travel trailer. My first idea was to get that bumper pull too for maximum versatility with the trailer bed. More storage for camping and no need to move stuff from truck to trailer when leaving the camp for a day if we pack wisely.

I'm aware that 5th wheels are more stable while towing and I guess easier from smaller overall length with truck. Also more private master bedroom separate from the kids.

If it was you. Would you go 5th wheel or is keeping the bed available better?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a 33' bumper pull and have no issues. From everyone i have talked to the fifth wheels are much better pulling from a stability standpoint . So i would say if you plan on towing long distances then the fifth wheel might be the better option. But you are correct about losing the bed for storage space so that is also something to consider. Good luck,

Kevin

Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 AM
mudfuel06
Elder User
If you want a fifth wheel and be able to carry stuff, you'll have to get a toy hauler. I've had one and hated the fuel mileage. We paid cash for an older fifth wheel, so that's what we currently have. But to answer your question, I'll be going back with a TT so that I can free up bed space hopefully very soon.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It just depends on what you want to do with it...
there are pros and cons to both and only YOU can decide what's best for you - we can't

I've tried both and the dictates of the live-in architect/ designer forced me into a big 5er !

While it's true that 5er's are typically more stable than a tt,
with the right hitch like the propride 3p hitch I have for sale,
a tt will follow along quite nicely...

On the day we picked up our 35' tt it STORMED on the way home and with 18 wheeler traffic flying by me and all, hardly knew the tt was behind our Excursion...

So, what's more important to you and yours ? bed space or rv floor plan?

Most find that the rv floorplan overrides just about any other need - good luck on your decision and be patient... sometimes just trying it out is the only way to decide...

Also, with anything GVWR and GCWR and RAWR come into play.... you can't load up the bed with stuff and still expect to be legal / safe with your rear axle weight.... so do some studying ! a study a while back showed about 70% of rv combos on the road were overweight ! a typical f250 will have a 6200 lb rawr leaving only about 1500 lbs for carrying capacity...

Old 05-15-2013, 03:08 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,080 Likes on 982 Posts
I've owned BOTH and I love the 5er! I like having the master bedroom separate from the dining / living area. It's just the 2 of us, but we do have family/friends sleeping on the fold-down couch/bed occasionally.....

I can still use the truck bed for what I need... carrying firewood, bicycles - whatever.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:06 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BPofMD
I've owned BOTH and I love the 5er! I like having the master bedroom separate from the dining / living area. It's just the 2 of us, but we do have family/friends sleeping on the fold-down couch/bed occasionally.....

I can still use the truck bed for what I need... carrying firewood, bicycles - whatever.
I agree with Bud. A bumper pulls you back and forth (front to back) when towing, a 5th wheel goes up and down. Much smoother and secure feel.
Still use your bed for lots of stuff.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I have had both...for longer trips/extended stay the 5th wheel is better. Mine has a big basement so I still have plenty of storage.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
I have always owned bumper pulls. We live in ours full time & have for 15 years. I like the fact my truck bed is just that. I have a camper on my truck & can store stuff if I want. I don't have to go up steps to the bedroom, unless you get a big 5ther your bent over in the bedroom because of height.
Also 5ther are heavier as a rule.
But bottom line it is a personal choice. For me it will always be a bumper tow behind.
We have two bumper TT. One sits fulltime in an RV Park the smaller one we tow & use when my wife's work puts her away from home.
Craig

Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I have always preferred bumper pull TT's also. Mostly just due to not wanting a hitch in my bed that is in the way 100% of the time, but only used 10% (for me) of the time. I've used the removable hitches, but the bed rails are still there and in the way. Whenever you're moving something heavy that must be slid in and out, it's a pain. Also hauling dirt, rock, sand, etc it's a pain to get it all out of the hitch rails to put the hitch back in.

I've wondered about the below the bed style hitches? I've never had one, but I wonder how easy/hard it is to get the dirt, etc out of them to use them? I'm guessing, but it seems to me it would still be a pain, and you'd have to get it cleaned out pretty good for the hitch to go back in? Not sure about that one, but I am curious.

I do like the way 5er's pull down the road, and I like the tighter turning radius when you're trying to get in someplace tight, whether it be a camping spot, campground, or just getting it parked at the house for storage.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
I have always preferred bumper pull TT's also. Mostly just due to not wanting a hitch in my bed that is in the way 100% of the time, but only used 10% (for me) of the time. I've used the removable hitches, but the bed rails are still there and in the way. Whenever you're moving something heavy that must be slid in and out, it's a pain. Also hauling dirt, rock, sand, etc it's a pain to get it all out of the hitch rails to put the hitch back in.

I've wondered about the below the bed style hitches? I've never had one, but I wonder how easy/hard it is to get the dirt, etc out of them to use them? I'm guessing, but it seems to me it would still be a pain, and you'd have to get it cleaned out pretty good for the hitch to go back in? Not sure about that one, but I am curious.

I do like the way 5er's pull down the road, and I like the tighter turning radius when you're trying to get in someplace tight, whether it be a camping spot, campground, or just getting it parked at the house for storage.
Mine is a hidden hitch. It works pretty good when hauling rock/dirt or whatever. Only thing that still remains is the pucks. Not a problem. You can alway slide a rubber bed mat or plywood down as well the create the ultimate smooth surface as well.

I have a cart that is bed height and I just slide the hitch onto it and then roll it away.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 AM
wyomingbs
Junior User
I just went through this myself.

Thought I wanted a TT so I could free up my bed. Ended up getting a sweet deal on a smaller 5th wheel. I already had a B&W turnover ball so I got their companion 5th wheel hitch. Now I can have a flat bed, gooseneck, or 5th wheel. The 5th wheel hitch is heavy. It is a great setup.

The 400 mile drive home with the 5er convinced me I was glad I got it and not a TT. I still have room in the bed for a large dog kennel, generator, heavy duty tote, and firewood.

Of course I couldn't put a 4wheeler in the bed. But my 5er is already set up to pull doubles. I don't think I'll need it much if ever though. I will use the receiver hitch on the back of the 5er for a hitch carrier, probably for bicycles.

Another reason I was originally looking at TTs was we knew we'd be in the smaller size category for whatever RV we got and didn't want to have to crawl into the bed of a small 5er. But after looking at several TTs with made up beds you still can't walk around them and almost have to crawl into them too. Not an issue with big 5ers or TTs.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Yeah I can stand in mine easy..but mine is certainly a high profile..13'6" to the AC. We were just out for a month so it makes it nice.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess I'd like to see a few hitch setups. Anyone know where I can go to view some good pictures of that style hitch both "in" and "out" of the bed? The few hitch websites I've seen just seem to show you a picture of a solitary hitch. I don't think I'd need a gooseneck hitch for anything, but if it was set up for both gooseneck and 5er, that would be pretty versatile too.

Wyoming or Senix, you guys have some pics of your beds with the hitches in and out? Curious about your turn over ball and 5er hitch Wyo, not sure I "get it" how the 5er part attaches?

The only 5er hitches I've used have been the above bed "rail" type that you can pull the pins and take the main hitch out, but the rails are permanent. I don't care for the above bed rails at all.

I'm still not crazy about the idea of cutting up my new truck bed to install one, but I'd like to see what's out there. Might be worth it to be able to pull a 5er instead of a TT.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:15 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
I guess I'd like to see a few hitch setups. Anyone know where I can go to view some good pictures of that style hitch both "in" and "out" of the bed? The few hitch websites I've seen just seem to show you a picture of a solitary hitch. I don't think I'd need a gooseneck hitch for anything, but if it was set up for both gooseneck and 5er, that would be pretty versatile too.

Wyoming or Senix, you guys have some pics of your beds with the hitches in and out? Curious about your turn over ball and 5er hitch Wyo, not sure I "get it" how the 5er part attaches?

The only 5er hitches I've used have been the above bed "rail" type that you can pull the pins and take the main hitch out, but the rails are permanent. I don't care for the above bed rails at all.

I'm still not crazy about the idea of cutting up my new truck bed to install one, but I'd like to see what's out there. Might be worth it to be able to pull a 5er instead of a TT.
Mine is just a hitch...a Reese Signature series..they make the elite now..very close to what I have and what Ford is doing oem style.

Picture with my hitch in place was taken as I was removing it...I had forgotten to get a pic. So that is why it looks a bit funny.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:32 AM
bigjr2
Senior User
Thats pretty cool what did that set up run you Senix?

Quick Reply: 5th wheel vs bumper pull