Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 AM
sonsila
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdelmar2
On my 94 olds 88 I replaced the dampner with one from dorman. It failed 12 months and two weeks later.

At the time I bought I had a good relationship with the business dept manager at advance and I got a good deal on it since it was for my personal car.

The guy I knew left advance a couple months before my dampner failed, but I called anyway and they said 'Bring it down and we will exchange it.'

I took it off and went there, then they said it was out of warranty. Nobody would admit to talking to me, and no manager was in the store. Basically they told me I was out of luck.

Keep in mind this was purchased though a business account that did a fair amount of volume through advance, and the part failed two weeks after warranty expired.

So, I went back to the shop and looked for another balancer. Nobody but dorman sells one for that car apparently. I did discover that while advance only has a one year warranty on it, both Autozone and Napa have lifetime warranties on the exact same part. Same manufacturer, same part number.

Needless to say I haven't been back inside an Advance Auto store since, and I won't be.

So I would say to avoid Dorman balancers, and if you have to get one check the warranty from wherever you bought it since it appears they make up their own.
That's a bummer, I hope that the one I get from NAPA will hold up

Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 AM
sonsila
Senior User
NAPA SOLUTIONS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

At NAPA SOLUTIONS, we take pride in the quality of our products, and your satisfaction with their performance. Thus, NAPA SOLUTIONS warrants its products to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service. As your exclusive remedy, NAPA SOLUTIONS will replace free of charge any NAPA SOLUTIONS product that, in our reasonable determination, does not comply with the foregoing warranty. This warranty is voided by non-recommended use, improper installation, or physical damage. In addition, NAPA SOLUTIONS will not be liable for any incidental or consequential damages and your exclusive remedy shall be replacement of the product that did not comply with this limited warranty.

ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED.

Federal and/or state laws may provide you with other warranties for this product. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages.

Should you need to replace any NAPA SOLUTIONS parts covered under this limited warranty, please see the store of purchase with your used part and original sales receipt.

According to NAPA this is their warranty for the Harmonic Balancer...

Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 AM
sonsila
Senior User
Yesterday I spent the day well actually I spent 3hours getting the harmonic balancer off. I am glad that I inspected it and saw that the outer ring had started to separate from the inner part. I noticed a tapping sound and started to look around and that's when I saw the balancer was going out, when I pulled it off I saw that it had started to rub against the timing cover and luckily it didn't rub through. The hardest part of this was keeping the motor from rotating while untightening and tightening the harmonic balancer bolt. I got it on though and applied a thin amount of gasket seal to the bolt and washer and then I torqued the bolt to 80 lbs

Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM
sonsila
Senior User
here are pics of the bad balancer:

Old 04-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Yaga1973
Elder User - What???

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a good thing you caught that when you did! I've actually had a harmonic balancer go bad on a 6V-71N Detroit Diesel that was in a bus I owned. It wasn't pretty. The worst part was that it was a custom piece and it was very expensive to have rebuilt.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 AM
sonsila
Senior User
Yeah I am glad as well, if I would have let it go a couple more days it would definitely busted open the timing cover...