6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Northern Utah volunteer? Maybe migrating to the 6.0 universe

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 PM
milman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Utah volunteer? Maybe migrating to the 6.0 universe

I have a 7.3 F-250 currently, but seriously considering taking on a 2005 Excursion. I have been lurking a bit on the 6.0 forum, trying to get a feel for common issues and necessary mods for longevity, as well as getting other valued opinions.

I found this listing on a Utah-based website (ksl.com, for anyone in the know).

Opinions? Seems well cared for, and the big-ticket items have been taken care of. I sent the owner an email asking about vehicle history, membership on FTE, tuning, etc. He is the second owner, and has other 6.0 trucks, all studded with various other modifications. The previous owner used for long-distance business travel. Had injector stiction issues that were solved with Rev-x, and hasn't had the same problems since he switched to Delo syn 5w-40. Does have Atlas 40 FICM tuner installed, and Edge programmer/monitoring system with a few PHP tunes installed. His words are that he doesn't currently run the PHP ECM tunes, just the FICM.

I'm in California for training until June, so I wouldn't be able to check it out in person until I get a 4-day weekend next month. Got loads of family in Utah as well, but unfortunately nobody knows anything about Powerstrokes. Heck, I don't know all that much, but I do know the caliber of people here on FTE, and I'm hoping to find someone willing and able to go do check the Ex out in person! I'd cover fuel to and from, even throw in your choice of beverage the next time I'm in town. Takers?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Dang your 2 weeks late for me I just got done with a job up there and I am alittle over an Hour drive away

I think Brett lives up by there But IDK anything about his schedule

If I do end up going up to ogden for my Punch List I can stop by I wont know for a few days the Job was pretty well wraped up

It Did look like he did Most of the Required upgrades

However I didnt see Standpipes--Dummey Plugs--STC Fitting these are 05+ things that have updated parts and they usualy all Fail by 150K Give or Take

It sounds Good but a Cold Start with an Hour Test ride with a Gauge is Needed The guy sounds Honest but you never Know

Go to the Utah Chapter IIRC the Utah Chapter Leader (TOM) Lives in that neck of the Woods

Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I could go check it out for you Wednesday or Thursday as I am off those days.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM
milman
Senior User
Thanks for the replies!

Originally Posted by mustang_309
I could go check it out for you Wednesday or Thursday as I am off those days.
PM and reps sent.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 PM
milman
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
It Did look like he did Most of the Required upgrades

However I didnt see Standpipes--Dummey Plugs--STC Fitting these are 05+ things that have updated parts and they usualy all Fail by 150K Give or Take

It sounds Good but a Cold Start with an Hour Test ride with a Gauge is Needed The guy sounds Honest but you never Know
True you never know until you sit down and try it out yourself. If you do find time and find yourself up there let me know.
We used to go shooting out past Saratoga Springs every winter, before building really took off on that side of the lake. Shooting has been banned just about everywhere now, have to drive so far it's almost not worth it. Made me miss Georgia - as long as you're outside city limits and you're not shooting toward any residential buildings, it's fair game.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I see a coolant filter and was that head studs?
Not a bad looking ride.

Sean Remembering the Boston victims

Old 04-15-2013, 11:31 PM
milman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
I see a coolant filter and was that head studs?
Not a bad looking ride.
Yep, head studs. Is that residue around the stud area normal? Just normal Powerstroke engine compartment gunk, or something indicating other symptoms?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Milman,Check to see If egr has been deleted, dont know how your going to get that truck passed in Cali smog.also look under the hood and make sure CA smog cert other wise cal state with be in your wallet.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:43 AM
milman
Senior User
Originally Posted by 04badford
Milman,Check to see If egr has been deleted, dont know how your going to get that truck passed in Cali smog.also look under the hood and make sure CA smog cert other wise cal state with be in your wallet.
Good call, thankfully this vehicle will be registered in Utah. He mentioned the EGR had been blocked off (deleted?). I'll be asking him additional questions tomorrow, like registration issues in Utah.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by milman
Good call, thankfully this vehicle will be registered in Utah. He mentioned the EGR had been blocked off (deleted?). I'll be asking him additional questions tomorrow, like registration issues in Utah.

Salt lake county test for emissions

Utah where I am at Does Not test for emissins

Old 04-19-2013, 03:45 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Davis county does diesel emission's testing but weber county does not. I went and looked at the Ex and it is in very good shape. The ECT/EOT delta was only a few degrees at operating temp ECT was 190 and EOT was 193. And he does have the stealth EGR delete so it will pass a visual inspection. Also the FICM voltages were good 47.5 to 48.5, it only dipped to 47.5 for a few seconds after I had been driving a while. The only thing I didn't like was the steering seemed to wander, not like there was play in the steering but that I was having to make a lot of steering corrections, it almost had a swimmy feel to it. One of the big positives is that it has the 05 engine in it so it has the good HPOP, how I arrived at that conclusion is it does not have the EGR throttle plate and the EBP sensor is located just forward and below the FICM not at the thermostat housing like on the 04 engine.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 412 Likes on 273 Posts
And '05s are a rare ones to find. Remember you get the coil/F550 front end (it's a 4x4, right?) which is tighter turning, bigger brakes on all 4, maybe an integrated brake controller, probably also the 7K rear axle even on the Excursions. Isn't the water pump bigger too? Any idea if the STC/Dummy Plugs/Standpipes were done? (sorry if I missed that)

If we were looking, this would be what we'd be looking for -- they didn't make all that many in '05 and then the Excursion was gone...

Extremely Important that it has the 50 State sticker with California mentioned, or it's a no deal, it isn't even a money thing, I was told they WILL not let you register it here, so do your research. We had a mandated (by CARB) flash that I think is the one that detects the EGR operation or it throws a code. Just be forewarned....

Hope it works out for you!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:05 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
I asked the owner if it had been lifted because of how high it is sitting compared to other excursions and he said it wasn't lifted but that it has truck springs and that is why it sits the way it does. The owner said the stand pipes were done when they did the head gaskets but they didn't do the dummy plugs and he didn't know it had the STC fitting as he thought the 05 excursions had the 04 engines, which they do but if it was built January 05 or later they had 05 engines.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:13 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 412 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_309
I asked the owner if it had been lifted because of how high it is sitting compared to other excursions and he said it wasn't lifted but that it has truck springs and that is why it sits the way it does. The owner said the stand pipes were done when they did the head gaskets but they didn't do the dummy plugs and he didn't know it had the STC fitting as he thought the 05 excursions had the 04 engines, which they do but if it was built January 05 or later they had 05 engines.
Alright don't shoot me now, 'cause I'm way more a reader than do-er, but I thought standpipes and dummy plugs were only on the '05+ engines? If they did the one, I bet they did the other (dummy plugs) and depending on when it was done, the STC is a no brainer if you are doing the rest...

I'm just about positive the '05 Excursion was the same as the F series (just about)....

Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
The standpipes and dummy plugs were on the late 04 engines too but they still had the old style HPOP. https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man...ges-Update.pdf on page 24 of this PDF shows the wavy oil rail with the old style pump https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man...ble%20Book.pdf Also the owner thinking it was an 04 engine didn't think it had the STC fitting so they didn't bother.

Quick Reply: Northern Utah volunteer? Maybe migrating to the 6.0 universe