Massachusetts Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: donjamer

Access to guages

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 AM
white-horse
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Access to guages

Is it possible to get access to where the guages are, behind the clear plastic shield, for cleaning purposes? Thanks...

Old 04-12-2013, 01:38 PM
WickidPissa
Elder User
Every cluster I've ever owned came apart somehow for this. Usually just a matter of removing it from the car/truck, and taking a few screws out. Have you tried getting it out yet?

Mild soap and water to clean it - no chemicals. I learned that lesson the hard way in high school lol.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 PM
white-horse
Junior User
I have not tried anything yet. There is a lot of dust and even a few little dead bugs in there. I think i'll try to vaccuum with a mild brush first.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 PM
WickidPissa
Elder User
If you're out of church in time, you should swing by Leominster on Sunday and see the fellas. I'm sure someone there will be able to figure it out! Should be pretty simple - take the cluster out, take the lens off, vacuum out the gauges, wash the lens. It'll be like brand new! (Maybe even do some white faced gauges to go with your theme...)

Old 04-12-2013, 02:15 PM
white-horse
Junior User
I'll give it a whirl tomorrow, and that's right, I need to wash that clear lens. Thanks. I would love to give it a full body restoration, but that's $7 grand. I'm not the biggest fan of white, but it is what it is. My favorite color for a truck is probably deep deep midnight blue. Are there ever GTG's in western, MA??

Old 04-12-2013, 02:23 PM
WickidPissa
Elder User
Originally Posted by white-horse
I'll give it a whirl tomorrow, and that's right, I need to wash that clear lens. Thanks. I would love to give it a full body restoration, but that's $7 grand. I'm not the biggest fan of white, but it is what it is. My favorite color for a truck is probably deep deep midnight blue. Are there ever GTG's in western, MA??
Why not do it yourself? Get a welder and a compressor, and a spray gun. Then the doors are open for panel repair, prime, paint, and clear... For under $1000 you'll have the tools and supplies to do what a body shop would charge a LOT more for. Take it a panel at a time, and then plan a weekend to squirt the whole truck. plastic sheeting in a garage makes a great spray booth! a lot of wet sanding and a quality compound/polish will turn any DIY paint job into dang near show quality.

As for the GTGs... Not sure. This will be my first actually. I've met one guy already, but they all seem like a great group. Maybe for the next one we could split the difference and figure out something in the middle of where everyone comes from... I don't think a bunch of guys on a truck forum really mind driving...

Old 04-12-2013, 02:36 PM
white-horse
Junior User
Believe me, if I did it myself I will destroy the truck. I just installed two new fenders, both were off white (not new, but mint cond.) so I painted each one with expensive spray paint and then coated with clear acrylic spray. They came out ok, not glassy and smooth... but now they look real white compared to the rest of the truck. Perhaps i'll shop around for someone who knows what they're doing and needs the work. Know anybody??? I'll keep a look out for any gtg's in w. mass. I'm in the Sturbridge area.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:41 PM
WickidPissa
Elder User
Go to a junkyard and get some body panels to mess with - that's probably the best way to practice and learn. Videos, books, websites, take in a ton of resources... As for someone looking for the work, I'll ask around. You could also vinyl wrap it..? I have a buddy that does that. MUCH cheaper than paint, and will last for many years. He can do just about any color. It's high quality too - a major part of his business is high end luxury cars - so his customers demant the best. I think a full car is under $1k.

Expensive rattle cans are still rattle cans - the spray pattern isn't anywhere as good as a gun. Brings me back to junkyard panels... Try on them. The real key though is the wetsanding and polish.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:51 PM
white-horse
Junior User
Yeah, i agree with all that. I never heard of vinyl wrap though. Anything is better than spray paint, i guess. Thanks..

Old 04-12-2013, 03:08 PM
WickidPissa
Elder User
It's literally taking a sheet ov vinyl, and stretching it over all the panels. A little heat from a heat gun is used to help with edges and stuff. I'm actually going to be doing my chrome bumper with it tomorrow...