Sponsored by: DP Tuner

stacking chips

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 PM
awaterman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stacking chips

Hi guys i have a ts6 chip on my truck. My buddy recently wrecked his truck he has and edge cts on his truck and said i could have it super cheap. So. My question is can i run both at the same time since the ts6 plugs into the pcm and the edge plugs into the ob2 thing. Thanks for your help

Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 PM
KH85
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could but I don't know why you would want to. And unless you have gauges especially egt I would NOT try it.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
No, you cannot.

You cannot stack programs on a 7.3L PSD.

Stewart

Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM
WA_PSD
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So what's up with stacking chips? I hear the cummins guys talking about it and know nothing on this subject. Why would you want to stack them or run 2 chips? Wouldn't they build a 1 chip for max performance? 2 chips SHOULD confuse a PCM, right?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by WA_PSD
So what's up with stacking chips? I hear the cummins guys talking about it and know nothing on this subject. Why would you want to stack them or run 2 chips? Wouldn't they build a 1 chip for max performance? 2 chips SHOULD confuse a PCM, right?
Well there is only 1 port to plug a chip in so it is physically impossible to stack chips on a 7.3L. Some believe you can stack a chip and a programmer though. This is not possible either because the chip will always override the program. With a good custom tune, there is no need for multiple products anyway.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 PM
KH85
Senior User
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner
Well there is only 1 port to plug a chip in so it is physically impossible to stack chips on a 7.3L. Some believe you can stack a chip and a programmer though. This is not possible either because the chip will always override the program. With a good custom tune, there is no need for multiple products anyway.
Well I guess you learn something new everyday. My buddy has a DP and an Edge programmer and he said he could stack them and I just believed him cause hes actually a very good mechanic, but sounds like hes wrong here!! .......I always kinda wondered but never wanted to try. I feel I get all of what I need from my DP.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:05 PM
awaterman
Freshman User
Ok thanks i wasnt sure since there is 2 spots where you could put them. So which would be better? And yes i have egt gauge. How much added power can a ts6 produce?

Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by awaterman
Ok thanks i wasnt sure since there is 2 spots where you could put them. So which would be better? And yes i have egt gauge. How much added power can a ts6 produce?
You can run custom tunes with either platform, but a switch-on-the-fly chip is a HELLUVA lot more convenient.

A chip is plugged onto the PCM and has the tunes already uploaded to the chip. Switching tunes is like changing the channel on a TV.

Using something like SCT and uploading via the OBD 2 port and you have one custom tune. Wanna switch to a different tune and you have to upload a different tune via the OBD 2 port, which takes a few minutes.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 04-01-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by awaterman
How much added power can a ts6 produce?
The same exact amount as ANY available chip or programmer out there these days as far as a stock-ish truck is concerned; about 100 additional at the rear wheels on a 99-03 truck. Don't let anyone tell you any different.

Drivability will be different between all of the different "flavors" out there, but ultimate power output will be about the same.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
KH85
Senior User
I would go with the TS6.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Because the Cummins guys who are stacking aren't actually tuning.

For years (up until recently), Cummins PCM's remained bootlocked and no one had programming for them. So instead, fooler boxes were stacked to create power. You had foolers for timing, foolers for fueling, etc etc etc.

PSD's are different since we long ago were able to actually tune the PCM rather than fool it. Hence with PCM tuning we can adjust all the timing, injection pressures, pulsewidth, etc without the need to compensate by having sensors overridden by some resistors and such.

And with that flexibility of tuning, we can reach the limits of pulsewidth, timing, and injection pressures up to the the capacity of the engine components to maximize power. So adding fooler boxes on top of that does nothing to improve performance. If anything, it can cause a truck to run worse, have an over-touchy throttle, advance timing too far, blow way too much smoke, and so on.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KH85
Well I guess you learn something new everyday. My buddy has a DP and an Edge programmer and he said he could stack them and I just believed him cause hes actually a very good mechanic, but sounds like hes wrong here!! .......I always kinda wondered but never wanted to try. I feel I get all of what I need from my DP.
He can't. If he feels anything it's a placebo.

Any programming written to the PCM via a programmer is automatically overwritten by a chip and becomes null and void. You can have whatever tune you want loaded onto a PCM. As soon as you throw a chip in there, the truck runs whatever tuning is on the chip, not the PCM.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

This should explain about stacking haha.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 AM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Yep. He may be running both of them, but the only one actually working is our chip. It will override his Edge program.

One good tune can get you the max power your injectors can produce.

Glad you are happy with our product

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
It depends on the Edge product. If it's their Flash Programmers, NO it doesn't work that way. The Edge Juice may be what he is talking about. Not recommended to use with the custom tunes you have.

Yes, the tunes you have give you what you need.

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan

Quick Reply: stacking chips