General Automotive Discussion

Best way to strip/scrap a vehicle in the city?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM
RabidJade
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to strip/scrap a vehicle in the city?

I plan on stripping my 1986 F350 non-dually of all usable/sellable items then junking what is left. My question is what is the best way to do this in a manner that it would be easy for someone to haul it off?

I plan on stripping the engine/tranny, drive train (both axles), and the ignition wiring for my 1996 project truck. Without it being a rolling chassis I would imagine it will be hard to get it out of the driveway and to the scrap yard. The driveway is an older narrower 4 car/2 lane with all 4 spots occupied by 2 family daily drivers and the two project vehicles. The 1996 project is a rolling chassis that can be moved as needed.

I am just curious how people have stripped and removed vehicles in this manner and what is the best way to keep the frame off of the ground until it is time for the scrapped chassis to go? I'm looking for ideas as this part of my project won't start until next month. Thanks!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First thing that comes to my mind is strip everything off except the axles; get a trailer big enough to hold the truck; pull the truck onto the trailer; strip the axles, then just pull the trailer away with the scrap on it.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 PM
RabidJade
Senior User
I don't have a trailer and planned on whoever wanted the hulk to supply that when they wanted to pick it up. I have thought about just pulling the axles last and putting the frame on jackstands and hopefully finding a way to it on a trailer when the time comes. I do have several 3 ton bottle jacks and a 2 ton engine hoist if they are needed.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,230 Likes on 808 Posts
Not sure what scrap steel is selling for in your area but there are tons of people who scrap on the side for extra money. Someone may be able to cut up or dismantle the chassis and take it away in smaller pieces.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,408 Likes on 1,111 Posts
Assuming the neighbors won't mind a stripper party in your driveway I'd suggest this............

One or two GOOD Sawzall's Milwaukee being my preference, couple trusted friends to man them, a dozen or so metal cutting blades and that other product from Milwaukee as a work lubricant and just have at the bare frame!

Once its in small enough chunks haul it off to the scrapper or call a hauler who'll do it just for the metal.

Actually sounds like a fun Saturday or Sunday, after church of course!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,148 Likes on 2,196 Posts
i cut it up into one man pieces and store until i get a full load.
then run it over the scales myself. the last frame i ran paid close to $150

Old 03-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Put the Frame on Ebay, if it is undamaged. List it as local pick-up only.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 PM
RabidJade
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i cut it up into one man pieces and store until i get a full load.
then run it over the scales myself. the last frame i ran paid close to $150
This is the route I might go with. We also have a lot of junk haulers in the area and if I put stuff by the curb usually it's gone in a day or two. The cab is the only thing I'm concerned about as it would require a lot of chunks to get rid of.

Originally Posted by Aftrmidnite
Put the Frame on Ebay, if it is undamaged. List it as local pick-up only.
I'm having bad luck at selling parts (eBay and various forums) so most likely anything not reused in the project will be scrapped.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:50 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,148 Likes on 2,196 Posts
cut the cab into 4 pieces, and one person can easily move the pieces.

i use a sawzall on the cab to prevent fires.
the frame gets cut with the plasma cutter or oxy acetylene torches

Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 AM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A metal cutting blade in a circular saw runs all over a sawzall when cutting up cars. Wear eye protection and you can cut right through the glass.

I cut two late 80's style camaro bodies almost 95 percent into hand held pieces with the circular saw only.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 AM
RabidJade
Senior User
The windshield was smashed pretty bad from a hail storm a few years back so cutting right through it won't be an issue. I might try to save the backwindow for resale (one piece/factory), still unsure on that. I have a right angle grinder with cut off blades along with a decent sawzal with tons of metal blades. Unfortantly I don't have a torch or plasma cutter setup handy. I have a family member wanting to use the frame for a trailer but that is only if I leave the rear Sterling 10.25 axle with it. I planned on taking the axle out and trying to resell it so not sure which direction to go there either.

I should be starting the scrapping process in about 2 weeks. I'll keep this thread posted and ask questions as they come up.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 AM
ClickClickBoom
New User
Get some cheap moving dollies from harbor freight and set it down on that. Anyone with a flatbed can winch it up without damaging your driveway

Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 AM
RabidJade
Senior User
Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
Get some cheap moving dollies from harbor freight and set it down on that. Anyone with a flatbed can winch it up without damaging your driveway
I was looking at their dollies but didn't know how much they would support. I am debating about leaving the rear axle on the chassis since there isn't much of a market out there for the Sterling 10.25's from what I could tell. If that is the case the scraping process will be a bit easier.

I already determined I will quarter the box and take it off that way then possible the cab next so removing the engine/tranny/transfer case can be removed a lot easier. All body panels have rust so I will do more cutting than fighting rusty bolts.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 AM
RabidJade
Senior User
My friend talked me into using an air chisel to help with the scrapping so I am picking one of those up for removing the rusty bolts and rivets. Teardown probably starts Thursday and I will post some pictures of the progress.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,408 Likes on 1,111 Posts
Love to see that, don't forget to leave in the bloopers too!

Quick Reply: Best way to strip/scrap a vehicle in the city?