1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP Infinity DX vs. AE (not the tuning part)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DP Infinity DX vs. AE (not the tuning part)

I recently got interested in the new DP Infinity DX. However, I could not find much first-hand experience here in the forum or the site. In addition to all the extensive information DP put out there (all the good DP TV video clips, etc.) I'd like to hear first-hand experience from members here. Being a great fan of Tug, I was following his AE class this morning and saw a post by Rishsd that I found very informative. I don't want to hijack Tugly's AE class thread, so here I am. Starting a new one dedicated to all discussions about How the new DP Infinity compare to AE and maybe even other high quality scanner tools out there. This thread will not cover the tuning part (programmer), only the scanner, additional sensor and on-board testing capacities. I do have an AE and actively use it. Thx for all inputs. Erwin

Rishsd,
Very glad to see a fellow member with an Infinity DX. I felt quite disappointed at the lack of information here about the new DP toy (only a couple hits if you do a search for DP Infinity). You already answered some of the questions I submitted to Diane at DP yesterday (I did not get a reply from him yet). Could you look over my questions and see if you can tackle some of it? Thx. Eriwn
<O</O
<O</O
Rishsd wrote in another thread (Tug's AE classroom):<O</O
“The infinity and the AE are the same thing.
Infinity pros:
No laptop needed
Always running
Easy to use

Infinity Cons:
Does not change speed for larger tires
Lie-o-meter (MPG calc) will not work
At this time you can only add one sensor. (DP is working on this)

AE pros:
Allows for speed change for larger tires

AE cons:
Have to have laptop
You will never be able to add sensors
Harder to use in comparison to Infinity "

Questions submitted to DP:<O></O>
“Diane,

Here are a couple questions I can not find answers to by reading on the net or watching your TV.
1. If I buy the infinity now with a few test tunes loaded. Let's see, after a few weeks I decided to buy 3 tunes. A few months down the road, when I get too much money in my pocket, I might decide to buy a f5 chip so I can do the switch on the fly. How can I get those three already purchased tunes into the F5?
2. I have another F350 PSD which I don't use very often. I'll never chip of tune that truck. It's just a dirty work truck. I'm happy with everything stock. Can I use the Infinity to do the diagnostics, trouble shooting? Or, another word, does one need license to just use the scanner, data recording part? I have the AE to do it now. If I can use the Infinity to do what my AE is doing for both of my trucks and also friend's trucks(monitoring, scanning, data recording, on-board testing, etc.) plus tuning only for my fun truck, It will be more easily justifiable. I might even sell the AE.
3. almost part of question #2. How does Infinity compared to a scanner? Like AE, if you get the ford bundle, you can do enhanced power tran scanning for all ford vehicles. Does Infinity have this capacity? I mean to scan other ford vehcles.

Thx a lot. Erwin “<O></O>
<O> </O>

Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Erwin,

When I was asking questions about the Infinity, Jody called me, did you ask per their website, or E mail? Did you include a phone number?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

I think that Diane will reply me when he get a chance. I started this thread because I see so little being discussed here. Thx. Erwin

Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up a copy of Diesel World magazine at the grocery store this weekend. It has an article about the infinity, you might want to check that out. Article says they are developing a cable to allow it to switch TS chips.

edit: article also has a pic of the system with the box it came in labeled DashDAQ XL. You might find some more info on the product page for that: http://www.drewtech.com/enthusiast/p...s/dashdaq.html

Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
One key feature that I spotted on the Infinity was the screaming-fast data sampling. I have to break out the carputer, plug in the OBDII interface, come up with PC power for long runs, fire up and connect the AE, and then I get a crazy-slow sampling rate that gives me about 8-10 sensor readings (per sensor) during a WOT run (before I run out of speedo). It's difficult (if not impossible) to catch something that happens real fast (fraction of a second), then it's gone. Infinity samples the data so much faster that you record the hiccups and spikes that you want to catch... making it much easier to find the root cause.

You can also see the injector Start Of Injection, a heretofore invisible yet crucial element of the operation of the engine. Fuel injector SOI is not reported on the OBDII, so AE will never see it. Infinity really exposes a tuner's underwear, so DP is taking a risk by even offering this product... other tuners aren't likely to be so eager to share their secrets with the whole diesel community.

I think Infinity works with TS-style tuning on its chip... but hopefully DP will chime in soon and sort it out better than I.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Tugly, I counted at least 3 times in this forum you used the phrase "screaming-fast data sampling" on the Infinity, plus those funcy "underware" functions DP offers over all other competators. I think that we should all run to the Infinity store. But, wait! Those features don't mean anything to the average strokers (non-techno-geeks?) unless YOU train them as you're doing with the AE. For now, I'm more concerned about the possible hidden costs (like Ford software bundle myth I heared. Another thing I'm concerned is the liciensing fee. I don't understand why the "generic tunes/stock" have to be coined to a specific ECM or vehcle. If it's a custom tune, yea I do understand that it can burn you engine if you get it wrong. Anyway, too many unanswered questions. I'll put a trigger lock on my wallet for now. Erwin

Old 03-05-2013, 12:11 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Originally Posted by [FONT=Georgia
Infinity really exposes a tuner's underwear, so DP is taking a risk by even offering this product... other tuners aren't likely to be so eager to share their secrets with the whole diesel community.[/FONT]
Tugly, thinking about it now, I don't think that Tuners like DP need to
worry about exposing details to the general diesel community. They know their competitors can access it anyway. There aren't many among us who can or have the time do the reverse engineering a tuner can. It's a safe bet on their part to give their customer the most value to stay competitive, although most of us can never even figure out how to use those features AND, that's why we need you here. Erwin

Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Rishsd
Senior User
I will reply to any question about the infinity vs AE, I have both and if I don't know the answer I can try it on my vehicles and get the answer.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Rishsd
Senior User
Originally Posted by eyyu

Here are a couple questions I can not find answers to by reading on the net or watching your TV.
1. If I buy the infinity now with a few test tunes loaded. Let's see, after a few weeks I decided to buy 3 tunes. A few months down the road, when I get too much money in my pocket, I might decide to buy a f5 chip so I can do the switch on the fly. How can I get those three already purchased tunes into the F5?

I have already asked this question the answer I have gotten is that they would transfer these for free.

2. I have another F350 PSD which I don't use very often. I'll never chip of tune that truck. It's just a dirty work truck. I'm happy with everything stock. Can I use the Infinity to do the diagnostics, trouble shooting? Or, another word, does one need license to just use the scanner, data recording part? I have the AE to do it now. If I can use the Infinity to do what my AE is doing for both of my trucks and also friend's trucks(monitoring, scanning, data recording, on-board testing, etc.) plus tuning only for my fun truck, It will be more easily justifiable. I might even sell the AE.

i have answered this question through PM with you but I wanted other people to know. It will work with other ford vehicles. If you want it to work with other manufactures like honda you will have to buy the bundle from DashDAQ

3. almost part of question #2. How does Infinity compared to a scanner? Like AE, if you get the ford bundle, you can do enhanced power tran scanning for all ford vehicles. Does Infinity have this capacity? I mean to scan other ford vehcles.

to me the AE and infinity are the same infinity cannot change tire size

<O> </O>
See quotes in red

Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
I have an Infinity and f6. Really like both but have never had anything else. Jody told me they are coming out with a hub in a few weeks that u can use the infinity for switching your chip and it will also have 8 inputs for sensors plus the EGT port.

just recorded my first datalog today. I'm using logworks to view data although you can playback on the infinity. Gonna try datalogging on my buddy's truck Thursday. I think the vin license is kinda like buying the enhanced ford bundle so you can see more info. so we'll see how much I can log on his truck.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
I recently got interested in the new DP Infinity DX. However, I could not find much first-hand experience here in the forum or the site. In addition to all the extensive information DP put out there (all the good DP TV video clips, etc.) I'd like to hear first-hand experience from members here. Being a great fan of Tug, I was following his AE class this morning and saw a post by Rishsd that I found very informative. I don't want to hijack Tugly's AE class thread, so here I am. Starting a new one dedicated to all discussions about How the new DP Infinity compare to AE and maybe even other high quality scanner tools out there. This thread will not cover the tuning part (programmer), only the scanner, additional sensor and on-board testing capacities. I do have an AE and actively use it. Thx for all inputs. Erwin

Rishsd,
Very glad to see a fellow member with an Infinity DX. I felt quite disappointed at the lack of information here about the new DP toy (only a couple hits if you do a search for DP Infinity). You already answered some of the questions I submitted to Diane at DP yesterday (I did not get a reply from him yet). Could you look over my questions and see if you can tackle some of it? Thx. Eriwn
<O</O
<O</O
Rishsd wrote in another thread (Tug's AE classroom):<O</O
“The infinity and the AE are the same thing.
Infinity pros:
No laptop needed
Always running
Easy to use

Infinity Cons:
Does not change speed for larger tires
Lie-o-meter (MPG calc) will not work
At this time you can only add one sensor. (DP is working on this) At this time you can add two sensors. When we release the CEI-HUB you will be able to add 8 sensors

AE pros:
Allows for speed change for larger tires

AE cons:
Have to have laptop
You will never be able to add sensors
Harder to use in comparison to Infinity "

Questions submitted to DP:<O></O>
“Diane,

1.If I buy the infinity now with a few test tunes loaded. Let's see, after a few weeks I decided to buy 3 tunes. A few months down the road, when I get too much money in my pocket, I might decide to buy a f5 chip so I can do the switch on the fly. How can I get those three already purchased tunes into the F5?

If you buy the Infinity with a few tunes and then decide to buy the F5 as well, there is a flat charge of $25 to get all of the tunes on the Infinity flashed onto a chip.

You can hook the Infinity up to anything that is OBDII compatible and it will read codes and monitor generic PID's. It will do enhanced monitoring on all Ford vehicles. There is no need to purchase an additional VIN license to get enhanced monitoring on more than one vehicle. The VIN license will only tune one vehicle, but it will monitor enhanced data on all Ford vehicles.

When you buy the Ford VIN license with your Infinity it is similar to having the Ford bundle for AE. With the VIN license you will only be able to tune one vehicle, but the enhanced diagnostics will work on all Ford vehicles.

<O> </O>
See my comments in red. Also, feel free to contact me via e-mail or PM if you ever have any questions.

I think that Diane will reply me when she get a chance. I started this thread because I see so little being discussed here. Thx. Erwin
Diane is a girl

Originally Posted by honeydew
I picked up a copy of Diesel World magazine at the grocery store this weekend. It has an article about the infinity, you might want to check that out. Article says they are developing a cable to allow it to switch TS chips.

edit: article also has a pic of the system with the box it came in labeled DashDAQ XL. You might find some more info on the product page for that: Drew Technologies : Introduction
The Infinity is manufactured by Drew Tech(who makes the Dash DAQ). Here is a chart showing the differences between the two...

Originally Posted by Tugly
One key feature that I spotted on the Infinity was the screaming-fast data sampling. I have to break out the carputer, plug in the OBDII interface, come up with PC power for long runs, fire up and connect the AE, and then I get a crazy-slow sampling rate that gives me about 8-10 sensor readings (per sensor) during a WOT run (before I run out of speedo). It's difficult (if not impossible) to catch something that happens real fast (fraction of a second), then it's gone. Infinity samples the data so much faster that you record the hiccups and spikes that you want to catch... making it much easier to find the root cause.

You can also see the injector Start Of Injection, a heretofore invisible yet crucial element of the operation of the engine. Fuel injector SOI is not reported on the OBDII, so AE will never see it. Infinity really exposes a tuner's underwear, so DP is taking a risk by even offering this product... other tuners aren't likely to be so eager to share their secrets with the whole diesel community.

I think Infinity works with TS-style tuning on its chip... but hopefully DP will chime in soon and sort it out better than I.
That is correct. The sampling rate is much faster. Another big feature that most do not know about is that when you press "Start Log" on the Infinity, it will record information that has happened already. For instance, let's say you are cruising along(not data-logging) and your truck hiccups. You can press start log, and when you pull up that datalog you will see negative numbers on the time category in the spreadsheet. This negative time and the data attached to it is what was happening before you pressed start log. It will retrieve data from about 25 seconds(25302 ms) before you hit "Start Log".

When we release the CEI-HUB you will be able to connect the Infinity to any current day multi-position chip.

Tugly, I counted at least 3 times in this forum you used the phrase "screaming-fast data sampling" on the Infinity, plus those funcy "underware" functions DP offers over all other competators. I think that we should all run to the Infinity store. But, wait! Those features don't mean anything to the average strokers (non-techno-geeks?) unless YOU train them as you're doing with the AE. For now, I'm more concerned about the possible hidden costs (like Ford software bundle myth I heared. Another thing I'm concerned is the liciensing fee. I don't understand why the "generic tunes/stock" have to be coined to a specific ECM or vehcle. If it's a custom tune, yea I do understand that it can burn you engine if you get it wrong. Anyway, too many unanswered questions. I'll put a trigger lock on my wallet for now. Erwin
The VIN license only covers one vehicle for tuning, but not for enhanced diagnostics and testing. It will do that on all Ford vehicles.

The VIN lock for tuning is just like the SCT devices. You can only put the tunes on one vehicle at a time.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Thx Justin, also others participated. I have to say that I leared more in the last 5 min reading everybody's reply that days of fruitless research. Thx again. Now I know Diane is a girl, sorry. I've been trying hard to figure out how to pronounce the name to make it a guy, what a relief! She told me that you're the Infinity GURU to talk to. I'm sure I'll find out more questions to ask. Erwin

Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Thx Justin, also others participated. I have to say that I leared more in the last 5 min reading everybody's reply that days of fruitless research. Thx again. Now I know Diane is a girl, sorry. I've been trying hard to figure out how to pronounce the name to make it a guy, what a relief! She told me that you're the Infinity GURU to talk to. I'm sure I'll find out more questions to ask. Erwin
Yeah, just wanted to give you a heads up before she got a hold of you for calling her a guy

And yes, please contact me if you ever have any questions about it. Diane is a very busy person so it may take her a little longer to get back to you.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner
Yeah, just wanted to give you a heads up before she got a hold of you for calling her a guy

And yes, please contact me if you ever have any questions about it. Diane is a very busy person so it may take her a little longer to get back to you.

Too funny. Its been what 10 years almost and I actually consider myself as "one of the guys". Heck if I lived in Austrailia I'd be a "mate" no matter my gender.

Being called a girl is like getting carded for buying liquor when you're 42.

I owe you a beer or two, Erwin!

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Diane, truely sorry for it. I'm so embarrassed about the whole thing.

Justin, I have another question. If I have 5 tunes for stock setup, what would happen if I switch trucks (buy and sell someday, you know). Forgive my for my very limited knowlege with tuning. The only tuner I ever owned is that cheap SuperChips programmer with 3 set tunes in it. With the SuperChips, when you want to switch truck, you just return the tuned truck back to stock then you're free to go to the next. Also, if you want to sell the tunner, you return the tuned truck to stock and it can be directly transfered to the next person. What do I do with my Infinity under such circumstances. Thx. Erwin

Quick Reply: DP Infinity DX vs. AE (not the tuning part)