Sponsored by: Moser

Wiper Mod with pics (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 AM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wiper Mod with pics (Long)

I decided to mod my wiper arm after repeated failure of the driver side wiper. The end product turned out pretty sturdy, but could look better, if you want it to. To do this, I chose a 1992 wiper arm. You will also need the following parts:
2ea 8-32 x ˝ pan head screws (you can get by with one when you see the procedure)
2ea 8-32 x ˝ pan head screws
2ea 8-32 stop nuts
1ea 8-32 aluminum threaded barrel

These are available at your hardware store. I did have to start off with 4ea 8-32 x ˝ screws, since that was the smallest they had.
For tool, you will need a hacksaw, drill and some drill bits (if you have a drill index, 7/64 to Ľ is perfect), pliars, screwdrivers, marking pen and a vise (or vise grips)
Total job time is approximately 90 minutes for one or 2 hours for both, if you are the average mechanic.

Because of the angle of the dent windshield, it’s necessary to keep the bottom that attaches to the post.
Drill out all attachment points that keep the arm to the mount (three for the old one).
There is a spring involved, but not too much tension. Wear safety glasses nonetheless! When you are finished, this is what you will keep.

Note: Do not lose the little pin that holds the spring plate to the mount! If you do, you will be making a trip to get another old arm!
Repeat the same procedure for your new arm (two for the new one). This what you will be left with.

Now you will have choices. Do you want to use one or two holes for the wiper arm to attach to the mount? Do you want use the old spring or the new spring? You can see the size difference with the springs. I opted for the old spring and two holes in the arm. If you opt for the new spring you will need to figure the spring mount hole in the new arm for the correct tension.

You will have to pry open the pinch part of the arm to get the inner arm out.
After this is done, line up the old inner arm with new one. Make your mark and cut the new one about ˝” longer than the old one. At this point, measure twice, cut once! Or you will be making a trip for another arm!

With the cut finished, it’s time to drill the holes. I used the original hole in the new arm and the second hole from the old arm. These were marked and then drilled with a 3/16 drill. Holes were then deburred. Don’t forget to drill the spring mount hole also. Keep the last two holes as accurate as possible for the correct spring tension later on. Now, bend the bottom part of the arm to the angle close to that of the old arm.

Next, take the threaded barrel and cut that down, so that it fits in the mount. Once you have done this and have the 8-32 x 3/8 pan heads, you are ready to assemble.

First, attach the external arm to the mount, using the 3/8” screws. Snug it down. Too much tightening will cause binding of the arm later and not allow the spring to do its job.
When this is done, do not move it too much, because that little pin can drop out.
The next step goes easier with a second person.
Slide the inner arm n and attach the spring to both perches (holes). Next stretch the arm until the 1/2 “ drop into there holes or use a second person to put the screws in. Tighten screws, pinch outer arm over inner arm, install new wiper and mount on truck.

I know this looks bulky! A lot has to do with choice of wipers. If you choose to use rivets and add a coat of paint, I’m sure the finished product will be much more aesthetic. So far, my wipers work great.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 AM
RunninD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool mod, looks easy! how about a pic on the truck? just to see how bulky it really is. with the size of the wipers, I bet its not too bad!