Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Weird steering issue...

Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 AM
rustyculley
Senior User
rustyculley is starting off with a positive reputation.
Weird steering issue...

My truck has started this weird thing: when you hit the brakes, even slightly at slow speed while turning the wheel, there is a loud chirp (almost a "bark") and you can feel feedback in the wheel. Truck stops straight from high speed, no pulling from one side or the other. Any ideas? Could it be in the steering gear? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I'd be pulling the wheels off and looking at your brakes. Probably time. I think that is where to start.

An inspection.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM
rustyculley
Senior User
The noise is not coming from the brakes or wheels. It sounds almost like the brake rod that attaches to the pedal is rubbing or binding somehow. I can also feel a reaction in the steering wheel when I pump the brakes even while sitting still. It almost feels like the pump is putting fluid to the steering sector when the brakes are applied, but it's only momentary.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Elder User
BROWN DOG KTM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BROWN DOG KTM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hydroboost issue ?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 AM
rustyculley
Senior User
That's what I'm thinking Brown Dog. Just dunnno exactly what to do short of taking it to the dealership. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Larry NCKS is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not familiar enough with our hydraulic systems to state this, but in the early 80s IH 1400 series combines had a problem with an orfice in flow control system. It made the steering jerky when other hydraulic apps were applied.

I'm not sure if our system has any kind of priority control or not.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 PM
rustyculley
Senior User
IDK about a priority control Larry, but I can sit still in a parking lot and turn the wheel slightly left or right (doesn't matter which way) and punch the brakes and the steering wheel will react momentarily. I was hoping somebody was gonna have some insight into this one.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:42 AM
BROWN DOG KTM
Elder User
BROWN DOG KTM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BROWN DOG KTM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Rusty,
Your concern sitting still, turning wheel & punching brake pedal is normal operation

One sorta robs from the other, as their sharing from the same power source

When you say "Hitting the brakes" :

Are meaning a Panic Stop type braking or applying Normal Smooth Pressure to the Brake Pedal ??

I wouldn't be overly concerned with this Chirp You mention.

You Normally Create a Much Bigger Problem than you had to start with by letting Dealerships Monkey with minor issues IMHO

I've seen way too many thru the years :-(

Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 PM
rustyculley
Senior User
I'm with you on not letting the dealership monkey with my truck. Not talking panic stop. It's really more pronounced at low speed light pedal situations. My 01 F450 does not and never has done this. The chirp or bark is loud, in the cab and not in any way associated with wheel or rotor issues. It's like the brake cylinder or rod is rubbing or somehow binding making the noise. IDK.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Do a flush of the fluid and see if that helps.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 PM
rustyculley
Senior User
Might do that Senix. Couldn't hurt anything after all.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Jthoran
New User
Jthoran is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm having the same issue. When I'm driving at any speed, I can feel a slight bump in the steering wheel when I touch the brakes. I am being told that that is a vacuum pump that operates both steering and brakes. The Ford dealership can't even seem to feel it.

Can this cause a loss of steering or braking? I'm about to go on a 3000 mile trip pulling my 5th wheel.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 PM
rustyculley
Senior User
It's the power steering pump that supplies the "power" for the brakes and steering. My 01 F450 has a similar setup but I don't notice the same feedback thru the wheel. I'll be sure to let y'all know if I get it fixed.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Larry NCKS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Jthoran View Post
I am being told that that is a vacuum pump that operates both steering and brakes.
Not sure of your truck model, but I know of no steering assist that ever operated on vacuum power. The 6.4 liter and all post 2000 models anyway, had a hydraulic brake booster as well as hydraulic power assist for steering. This power is supplied by a belt driven hydraulic pump on the front of the engine.