Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Brake Line for Hutch Mod??(Drawing!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Journeymaaann
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Line for Hutch Mod??(Drawing!)

Hi Guys While gathering parts to do the Hutch mod on my truck, I found this brake line made by AGS Company of Muskegon, Michigan. Of course I will call them & see what they say about using the coating in diesel fuel but I wanted to ask what I consider a 'more informed' group. What do ya think??
Here is what they say about their 'Poly Armor' coated brake line on their website: Poly-Armour® is different from anything else on the market due to its PVF or Poly-Vinyl Fluorine coat. This coating is actually a highly durable 'plastic' coating that is 'baked and cured' to the line. This provides extra protection from corrosion, debris, and road surfacing solutions. It also offers superior bend-ability without kinking that makes Poly-Armour® the most easy to work with line - period! Underneath the PVF-coating is a double-wall, low carbon steel, copper brazed tubing which meets all international and U.S. requirements for brake tubing. The difference being that Poly-Armour® offers 30 times the corrosion resistance of galvanized steel alone. PVF-coated lines are now the standard in many vehicles on the road today, including: Volkswagen/Audi, Honda, Toyota, and Mercedes. Considered a premium line Poly-Armour® should be used on any vehicle that will see any type of harsh environment, including snow, road treatments, salt air, dirt/gravel, etc...Poly-Armour® should also be used when extending the life of the lines is important, such as on commercial vehicles or when exact OEM replacement is required or desired. Poly-Armour® lines and tubing meet the following specifications:
SAEJ527b
GM123M
SAEJ1290
DIN 74234

AGS Company - Poly Armour I tried to copy & paste the drawing on their page but couldn't get it done so I posted the link if you wanted to see what they are talking about. Thanks for your help!!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:53 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the Poly-Armour® is good stuff when it comes to brakes but I would NOT use it for fuel line in the tank. I would stick to S.S. for the fuel line in the tank.
I myself used Strickly Diesels Driven Diesel Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit it cost a few more $$ than if I pieced it together myself. But when you think about the time you would spent and the fuel to get all the parts it is well worth it. It is a very nice kit comes with everything you need.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I went to Napa and told them I need injector supply line for diesel. Static brake fluid under pressure is not the same as dynamic fuel under vacuum. I would avoid over-Tim-Taylor-izing it.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:44 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't go out of my way to use it but I have coated line in mine, good after one year. At the time a couple of others chimed in, some concerns but no body had any actual problems. You might try ebay for ss tubing. I couldn't find anything local, at least that would sell me less than 10ft.
I am seriously considering putting a spin on filter to replace the little in line, so buying the kit with everything isn't a bad idea.
There were some great threads around last December, check those out.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:51 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
unless you dont know what do get, gathering the parts is no big deal.

Wix Filters & NapaGold Filters: FleetFilter Secure Online Store filter and base from then.

Then while waiting for shipment, download the guzzle "in-tank" mod, and studay it. No different then studying the instruction sheet you'll get, from some high price kit

Hit up homedepot for the barb fitting you'll need for off the filter base, along with the 3/8 and 5/16 compression unions.

On way back, stop at any auto store for your "BASIC" fuel line 3/8 in size

Now, you find a hobby store, and buy a ft of each, 3/8 and 5/16 aluminum tubing...

Your ready now to build ur in-tank system..and at the price of about 40 buks.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Journeymaaann
Senior User
Thanks Guys , you are the reason I renewed my membership! you guys are the real thing. I love getting the truth & no BS. God Bless You!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 AM
gramicko
Junior User
Grainger

I got a 6 foot piece of 5/16" SS at Grainger for about $13. Only had to wait a day for them to get it.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:15 PM
bbsitum
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Well the Poly-Armour® is good stuff when it comes to brakes but I would NOT use it for fuel line in the tank. I would stick to S.S. for the fuel line in the tank.
I myself used Strickly Diesels Driven Diesel Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit it cost a few more $$ than if I pieced it together myself. But when you think about the time you would spent and the fuel to get all the parts it is well worth it. It is a very nice kit comes with everything you need.
My car I bought from city at auction. F250 99. Ld. City replaced all fuel lines with pvf "brake" lines. 6 years after they are all like new. My Infinity I sold recently and all lines was pvf. Car 19 years old not one touch of rust.
To add just like for nappa - only pvf line at everything.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:21 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 01-01-2017, 03:26 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Double post.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Here is was I used. Got these links from a fellow user when I went to do mine. All Stainless, the 3/8 was kinda a bear to bend but got it after a couple try's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XN8WLY

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XN8BZG

Old 01-02-2017, 12:17 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see a problem with using brake line for external fuel lines.
As for in the tank, the PVF coating is on the outside of the line, so its a matter of whether or not it is safe/compatible with immersion in diesel.
According to this link: PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) Chemical Compatibility Chart

Diesel has an excellent rating with PVF, so it should be ok. However, since diesel fuel tanks like to collect water at the bottom, the line may eventually rust out (from the inside, and/or at cut ends/scratches where the PVF coating has been compromised). So, given the relatively small amount needed, I would just find/buy SS.

Also, as a side note, NEVER use the cooper alloy brake lines for fuel. They're handy for making easy bends w/o kinking, and they are fine for brakes. However, ethanol, in gasoline, will quickly corrode the copper lines from the inside out, carrying all kinds of garbage into the fuel system before leaking. Copper and diesel also do not mix well, causing bad "ju-ju". http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-cou...age-diesel.pdf

Old 01-02-2017, 12:57 PM
UcaN
Senior User
I did my in-tank mods 9yrs ago and used regular brake line and recently dropped the tank to replace a faulty sending unit. No Rust, No missing parts, No weird looking line.... All looked just like it did when i installed it.

I don't think Diesel fuel is going to harm it... not in my trucks lifetime, anyway.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
My mod used Oreilly off the shelf metal brake line (as linked above) in 2010.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:22 PM
stevedrums
Junior User
Originally Posted by UcaN
I did my in-tank mods 9yrs ago and used regular brake line and recently dropped the tank to replace a faulty sending unit. No Rust, No missing parts, No weird looking line.... All looked just like it did when i installed it.

I don't think Diesel fuel is going to harm it... not in my trucks lifetime, anyway.
yup, people over-think this mod a lot. use what you have, as diesel is not very reactive. someone will disagree with me without any evidence though!

Quick Reply: Brake Line for Hutch Mod??(Drawing!)