Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Stuck @ B Ball Tourny

Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
fordsd350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stuck @ B Ball Tourny

Im 1 hr from home and throwing P0263, 0266, and 0284 and P1000. Trucks running rough. Oil & coolant look OK. Do I dare drive it home?

Old 02-23-2013, 01:15 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
P1000 ignore.

The other two have to do with injectors or the wiring to them. Clear them and drive it. If you have some injector cleaner I'd pour that in and see if it helps.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
Thanks Senix. After this game I'll drain the separator; add some more diesel Kleenex; and give it a shot.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
Well, she shook and smoked (blue) all the way home, but made it. See what a visit to the dealer brings on Monday.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
those two injectors or the wiring too them. Just make sure you have records of changing your fuel filters with you or online at the ford website. Maybe a question about that.

Report back.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
Recognizing my limitations, I'm a fanatic on fuel/oil filter changing and record keeping. So hopefully that will help.

Would continuing to drive the vehicle with injector issues (to get me home) typically due a lot of additional damage.

Thanks again for replying Senix, if you ever want to come fishing in MN let me know. I have the boat, so all you need to bring is low expectations.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM
senix
No you didn't hurt it..they have already failed. But don't drive it anymore. Rotten fuel mileage for sure.

Have never been to MN yet..one day I will get there though.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by fordsd350 View Post
Would continuing to drive the vehicle with injector issues (to get me home) typically due a lot of additional damage.
Originally Posted by senix
No you didn't hurt it..they have already failed.
I strongly disagree with this, failed injectors can destroy engines! Over the past few years I've seen several engines that failed because either an injector stuck open or the tip broke off; this allows unmetered fuel to be dumped into the engine. The end result is a melted piston and subsequent engine replacement.

Blue smoke is typically burnt oil, and the traditional diesel black smoke is soot that should be caught by the DPF. Have you checked your oil level?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
Yes on the oil check. Appearance was normal (I'm ~2000 miles away from the next change) and level was correct (not over full). I've seen pics on the enternet showing similar damage due to injector problems. Just hope I'm not going to be adding to the collection.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:58 AM
UGA33
Post Fiend
UGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud of
Failed injectors on a 6.4,or any common rail system for that matter, should not be taken lightly. Extremely easy to crack pistons or fill the crankcase up causing run-away issues.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 AM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
GHeTTo JOe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by fordsd350 View Post
Yes on the oil check. Appearance was normal (I'm ~2000 miles away from the next change) and level was correct (not over full). I've seen pics on the enternet showing similar damage due to injector problems. Just hope I'm not going to be adding to the collection.
ok just to make sure, but did you check the oil after driving it back home or just when it started to act up. after driving it like that is when it would "make oil"

Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
Yes or all of the above. I checked before heading for home; again at about 3/4 of the way home; and the next day at home. All seems to look normal.

Looks like I'm taking it to the local dealer, which has been good to me in the past, as he's the closes, credible option.

If not for the inconvenience of being almost 1 1/2 hrs away, I would drop everything and take it to DT Garage in St Louis Park. Great references from other FTE members and after speaking with Dave, the service manager, I would have to say he is the most knowledgible 6.4 person I have ever spoken with.

Assuming the dealer can get it back to normal, I know any future work will be at DT Garage. I even had an offer from another FTE member to help me trailer the truck to DT Garage, that was a phenomenal offer.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM
MisterCMK
Avid Winter Hater
MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
How did it turn out?

Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 AM
fordsd350
Senior User
Don't know yet. Ended up taking it to my normal small town dealership and the mechanic "thinks" the problem is #1 injector, though electrically it checks out. Of course they don't have the equipment to bench test it, so I'm waiting for them to get a new injector in.

Mean while, I stopped in and we're looking into the cylinder area which they thought looked fined, but.... When I looked, I noted something in the swirl chamber area of the piston that almost looks like a piece of a ring, though hopefully it's just carbon.

My confidence was already thin with this guy, but now my frustration is really spinning up. In hind sight, should have had it hauled up to the cities to DT Garage like I initially wanted to.

See what Tuesday brings.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 PM
senix
Keep us posted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck @ B Ball Tourny

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: