Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Stuck @ B Ball Tourny

Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM
MisterCMK
Avid Winter Hater
MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by fordsd350 View Post
Don't know yet. Ended up taking it to my normal small town dealership and the mechanic "thinks" the problem is #1 injector, though electrically it checks out. Of course they don't have the equipment to bench test it, so I'm waiting for them to get a new injector in.

Mean while, I stopped in and we're looking into the cylinder area which they thought looked fined, but.... When I looked, I noted something in the swirl chamber area of the piston that almost looks like a piece of a ring, though hopefully it's just carbon.

My confidence was already thin with this guy, but now my frustration is really spinning up. In hind sight, should have had it hauled up to the cities to DT Garage like I initially wanted to.

See what Tuesday brings.
Yikes.

How much work has this dealership done on diesels?

Let me know if you want to haul it to the cities. My trailer is still open.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
fordsd350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Chris again for the trailer offer, let's see what this week brings. I may have to talk to you about that.

Looking into my future, has anyone gotten a long block from Blackwater Engines in Virginia?

Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
The kicker out of all of this is that if the problem heads toward cab removal, this dealer won't do it because it ties up two stalls. I'm hoping it don't head this way, but I can see a disassembled truck on a flat bed with a box of parts heading north.

When I called DT Garage last week I believe I spoke with Dave - wow! I learned more in that time on the phone than I have surfing the net and talking with Ford mechanics. The Ford mechanics seem to have half a$$ answers, but he could virtually give a history lesson on the topics. Impressive.

Even if the dealer gets my truck back to normal I'm still going to get it into DT to get a good going over.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
don't know about this place in Virgina..but that is close to me. Where it is located?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
Blackwater is located somewhere in Norfolk. As with anything on the net, I have read good feedback and saw a video by a rather upset guy.

At this point I may have dodge the need.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
let us know how it all turns out. I think you will be ok.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
UPDATE

So things have changed since the post was first started.

Upon further investigation:

1. The debris in the cylinder swirl chamber was carbon - that's good.

2. The mechanic has found a smoking gun (not the injector), as it seems about 3" of the push rod for the intake valve is broken off and the push rod for the exhaust valve has a slight tweak.

3. This is a bit bothersome, but he has NOT been able to locate the missing piece, but is waiting for a response from Ford as to where he should look. He's checked where he's seen similar debris on a 6.0 end up, but can not find the part on my truck.

OK, so I'm no mechanic and as mentioned I'm not too sure of this mechanic, so what kind of questions should I be asking to ensure a good complete fix?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
A little more info:
  • all of the damage is related to #1 cylinder
  • there's no evidence of valve impact with piston
  • visual inspection (camera) showed no damage to piston and cylinder wall looks good.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 PM
senix
Very strange indeed. I take back my other statement that I think you will be ok. You will if you can find the piece.

Does he think premature valve train wear or a compont in the that area failed causing the related failure?

What about this piece somehow making it into the vally of the motor?

You still under warranty for this motor?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Very interesting, I'm very curious to see what happened here. I don't know how you could have two trashed pushrods for the same cylinder without having valves hitting the piston. That would have to be quite a coincidence...

Old 03-04-2013, 08:35 PM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by fordsd350 View Post
Thanks Chris again for the trailer offer, let's see what this week brings. I may have to talk to you about that.

Looking into my future, has anyone gotten a long block from Blackwater Engines in Virginia?
Look a little down the page. There is a post from firemedicgreg. He shopped long blocks from a couple places and I think one of them was Blackwater. He might be able to give you some useful info. Good luck On edit: you wsill probably have to go back to his original post to find everything. He has a link on this one.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
Thanks StanleyZ, I will take a look at that thread.

Thanks for the questions as they are the ones that are slowly working their way through my thoughts.

Unfortunately, I've been down with the flu or some crap from hell, so I wasn't very inquisitive today when I briefly spoke with the mechanic. Hopefully I will be better tomorrow and get more answers.

I feel fairly confident that they will not honor my extended warranty due to the mods. To be honest, that's fine as I knew from the beginning how it could play out. My only real concern is I want a completely fixed, dependable engine which was the sole reason for the modding. OK, I'm lying a bit, the mods have also been really fun!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM
MisterCMK
Avid Winter Hater
MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Any updates?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 PM
fordsd350
Senior User
Well, it's all better now - I hope!!

Final diagnosis was the push rod for the intake on cly. 1 rubbed through a guide bushing and hung up on a piece down in the vicinity of the head gasket resulting in the broken rod. The missing portion of the rod was retrieved. The "piece down in the vicinity of the head gasket" was removed as it's only there for initial assembly purposes, per the mechanic. The guide bushing was replaced along with the intake push rod. The exhaust push rod for cyl. 1 also should minor rub marks and a small tweak, so it and it's guide bushing were replaced.

Sorry for the vague discription, but that's what I got from the mechanic. I'm currently trying to find a diagram that shows the involved parts so I can better understand.

There was no indication of contact on the top of cly 1 piston. The debris on top of the piston was confirmed to be carbon.

The three other cylinders on the passenger side were inspected with no issue found.

Mechanic ran a power balance which was OK and a relative compression test with all 8 cylinders showing good compression / no disparity.

I'm currently at the does that feel / sound right stage each time I drive the vehicle. So far, so good.

Mainly due to paranoia, I'm planning on getting it up to DT Garage once I can coordinate a time with them and my work schedule. From what I've heard, they should be able to give it a good going over.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 AM
MisterCMK
Avid Winter Hater
Glad to hear it is back on the road!