Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hard to Start

Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM
desertjim
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to Start

Hi All,

New Batteries, New Starter and New fuel filter, but I'm right back to where I started. I needed batteries and I needed the fuel filter, but I probably caused the starter failure by cranking to long. Nevertheless, I installed a new one.

Anyway, it sort of acts like it wants to start, but won't. Smoke rolls out the tail pipe. This is when it's cold. It will probably start when it warms up today, if it does get in the fifties.

So...................now I'm thinking the glow plugs or relay. Isn't that the logical thinking at this point?

I was hoping it might have been the fuel filter, but no such luck.

Why the smoke? Does that point to something else?

Many thanks.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by desertjim
Hi All,

New Batteries, New Starter and New fuel filter, but I'm right back to where I started. I needed batteries and I needed the fuel filter, but I probably caused the starter failure by cranking to long. Nevertheless, I installed a new one.

Anyway, it sort of acts like it wants to start, but won't. Smoke rolls out the tail pipe. This is when it's cold. It will probably start when it warms up today, if it does get in the fifties.

So...................now I'm thinking the glow plugs or relay. Isn't that the logical thinking at this point?

I was hoping it might have been the fuel filter, but no such luck.

Why the smoke? Does that point to something else?

Many thanks.
When you go to start it cold, try jumping the two big posts on the GP relay for a minute or so...then try to start it. If it starts easier, you GPR is shot and needs replacement. If it doesn't start easier, then ohm out the glow plugs...if one proves bad, replace them all. The smoke is unburned fuel...the engine hasn't enough heat in the cylinders to fire the fuel charge and it is coming out as unburned fuel gases (white smoke).

Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

^^^ What Neal said.You can also switch the wires from the AIH over to the GPR to get you buy until you get another GPR.They basically do the same thing.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM
desertjim
Freshman User
Originally Posted by nlemerise
When you go to start it cold, try jumping the two big posts on the GP relay for a minute or so...then try to start it. If it starts easier, you GPR is shot and needs replacement. If it doesn't start easier, then ohm out the glow plugs...if one proves bad, replace them all. The smoke is unburned fuel...the engine hasn't enough heat in the cylinders to fire the fuel charge and it is coming out as unburned fuel gases (white smoke).
Thanks. That didn't do the trick!

"..ohm out the glow plugs..."........???

How many glow plugs are there? Where are they located?

Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro

Eight glow plugs, located under the valve covers.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
desertjim
Freshman User
Thanks for the video.

At the end of the video, the pointers said something about an engine heater.

My unit is a California truck and I don't think it has an engine heater. If it did, and it worked, I wouldn't have any starting problems.

I didn't totally understand your testing in the video.

You ground to your alternator/bracket. Ok. Then do you have to stick a lead into the hot wires of glow plugs?

I guess I don't understand all I know about this .

Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks. That didn't do the trick!

"..ohm out the glow plugs..."........???

How many glow plugs are there? Where are they located?

RED FLAG..He said jumping the GPR didn't do the trick..but then he said its a california truck..aren't all california trucks equipped with a GPCM instead of a GPR...someone please correct me if I'm wrong..do california trucks have the same AIH the the rest have,if thats the case he was jumping the AIH ..maybe??

Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the video.

At the end of the video, the pointers said something about an engine heater.

My unit is a California truck and I don't think it has an engine heater. If it did, and it worked, I wouldn't have any starting problems.

I didn't totally understand your testing in the video.

You ground to your alternator/bracket. Ok. Then do you have to stick a lead into the hot wires of glow plugs?

I guess I don't understand all I know about this .
You do have a block heater...look near the oil filter/oil cooler for a heavy wire and follow it to the front of your truck.

If it is not there, someone removed it and you could replace it. It is not the way to fix your problem. You have your DMM set at ohm setting and you probe the connection to get the readings for the glowplugs.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
RED FLAG..He said jumping the GPR didn't do the trick..but then he said its a california truck..aren't all california trucks equipped with a GPCM instead of a GPR...someone please correct me if I'm wrong..do california trucks have the same AIH the the rest have,if thats the case he was jumping the AIH ..maybe??
They have a GPR with a shunt going across it. At least mine has one.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

They have a GPR with a shunt going across it. At least mine has one.
OK..just wanted to be sure we weren't over looking something..I know I was thinking about the EXes,but wasn't sure of the trucks..

Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM
desertjim
Freshman User
You do have a block heater...look near the oil filter/oil cooler for a heavy wire and follow it to the front of your truck.

If it is not there, someone removed it and you could replace it. It is not the way to fix your problem. You have your DMM set at ohm setting and you probe the connection to get the readings for the glowplugs.
I bought the truck new. It only has 86k on it.

What I meant about the heater...................when it's warm, I don't need the glow plugs for it to start. Well, I'm sure the may work then too, but they don't have much of a chance to "get glowing" .

I'm gonna check for that heater cord. The truck is just as it came from the dealer in 2001.

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
I bought the truck new. It only has 86k on it.

What I meant about the heater...................when it's warm, I don't need the glow plugs for it to start. Well, I'm sure the may work then too, but they don't have much of a chance to "get glowing" .

I'm gonna check for that heater cord. The truck is just as it came from the dealer in 2001.

Thanks.
The block heater isn't even needed at single-digit temperatures if the glow plugs/GPR system are working correctly (I've started mine in sub-zero temps). I doubt you could get one of these engines started with no glow plugs and a functional, plugged in block heater when the temps are in the single digits.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
OK..just wanted to be sure we weren't over looking something..I know I was thinking about the EXes,but wasn't sure of the trucks..
I'm not at all saying you are wrong, I just know that on my 1999 California truck, there is a GPR (with the LED mod on it). Jim does yours look like this?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM
desertjim
Freshman User
Here's what mine looks like:

www.garlic.com/~jimd/glow-plug-relay.jpg

I used a screwdriver to touch both large posts for a minute or so.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Cool..I think we're all on the same page..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard to Start