Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 PM
JMP E350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rusty Fuel Filter

Hey All -
New to changing diesel fuel filters...
Is this what they are suppose to look like ??

Almost rust colored and it definitely looks like rust sediment on top of the filter.

I changed the filter but I think this might be causing a power loss ..

fuelfilter2.jpg Photo by namesmud | Photobucket

FuelFilter1.jpg Photo by namesmud | Photobucket

This is the bottom of the filter correct ? should I attempt to clean the fuel filter bowl with something or will this just stir it up and cause a mess?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks almost like it was running red diesel(offroad) or transmission fluid.

As for the rust sediment cleanup, yeah just clean out the bowl well, and put a new filter, I've seen some pretty good buildup on some rigs, shorting the fuel bowl heater.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks like you've had some water sitting in the bottom of the fuel bowl. Might want to think about draining it more often.

The filter itself doesn't look bad. Don't focus on the pre-filter screen material, look at the pleats behind the colored part.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:57 PM
JMP E350
Senior User
Yea the rust Isnt on the filter itself... I mean it is.. but.. its like a wet powder..
I can easily wipe it off with my finger... almost like its coming in from fuel lines or tank?

Trans fluid ? Does that even burn ?
I have burned red diesel before when I was in a pinch.. but .. not in this van ..

Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seen on here a few van's with tanks paint or lining deteriorating and clogging fuel systems, but from what I remember it wasn't red.

Yeah it burns, just another "alternative" fuel. I personally wouldn't run it in a heui injection due to design and cost, and would want to make sure it was filtered really well, and separated, but something with cheap injectors like an old IDI where you can get the whole set for a couple hundred then I'd run it in a heart beat.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Just to let you know, John Woods runs Trans fuild in one of his truck mixed 80/20, with 20 being the diesel. Runs great with know problems. Thats what he told me last week.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 AM
Poolguy601
Senior User
If you have not done the in tank mods. Then the 2 screens in the tank are probably full of the same. Are you getting fuel from job sites.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 AM
tommyl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Just to let you know, John Woods runs Trans fuild in one of his truck mixed 80/20, with 20 being the diesel. Runs great with know problems. Thats what he told me last week.
So what is the advantage of running 80 gal of trans-fluid to 20 gal of diesel?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 AM
tommyl
Senior User
Originally Posted by JMP E350
Hey All -

This is the bottom of the filter correct ? should I attempt to clean the fuel filter bowl with something or will this just stir it up and cause a mess?
To clean! Just keep the drain valve open and dump in some diesel fuel, swish around, drain and wipe clean.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was told by a diesel technician this is algae growing in my fuel. I have had no experience with it before I found this in my fuel. I thought it was trans fluid at first. Similar color to what you found? Mabe you have lots more algae than I found?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 AM
JMP E350
Senior User
Oh jeeze .... algae ?!?!?!? Greaaaat ..

No I am a new owner of the truck so I have not done tank mods... waiting for it to warm up a little...

Yea I have gotten fuel from jobsites before but only when I was in a pinch, I don't do it regularly because I don't know whats in that fuel..
Did it twice, maybe 5 Gal..total..
Enough to get the truck off site and to the closest station 30 miles away

Do you guys think its fuel delivery ? is it easy to clog fuel rail and injectors?
is there a filter before this paper filter I changed that I am missing ?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Enough to get the truck off site and to the closest station 30 miles away
A clue. Going that low on fuel is not a good practice on a diesel. You've likely sucked everything off the bottom that will fit through the tank screen and pump and sent it to the filter. Algae is a likely prospect as well. There are products at the auto parts store to kill algae, but get another fuel filter while you're there... you're going to replace the filter when all the algae carcasses line the filter.

I saw the photo of your turbo and that's major bad juju. I suggest you check the seals on your air filter and make sure you have a clean one in there. Also make sure your Crank Case Ventilation hose is connected to the CCV doghouse, or the hose barb is plugged off, or the filter in the CCV doghouse is still there and clean.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
The 80/20 for John Woods advantage is it is free for him. He services alot of transmissions so he filters it then runs it. I know the big truckers put it in there filters at filter changes to clean there injectors. I believe it runs a little hotter if you run it straight.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:25 AM
JMP E350
Senior User
Yea that turbo pic was bad...
I pulled it all out and cleaned it...
CCV Filter ? Dont think there is one of those ....

The air box was broken letting in all kinds of crap... I repaired that and put new filters in... should be pulling clean air now.

Thanks for the info so far !

With regards to letting fuel get low doesn't the pump suck from the bottom of the tank anyway ?
I know it doesn't suck from the top !

Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
CCV Filter ?

With regards to letting fuel get low doesn't the pump suck from the bottom of the tank anyway ?
I know it doesn't suck from the top !
Good job on the air filter! Inside the CCV doghouse, there is... uh... a "steel wool" and it can build up a lot of crud over time. I pulled mine and flushed it real good with brake cleaner... lots of crud. My o-rings on the bottom of the doghouse were shot, I had to replace those.

When the fuel tank is full, you pretty much get fuel. When it's low, there is a lot of sloshing around and it stirs up the crud in the bottom, putting it in "suspension"... and the thick mix gets sucked in.

Quick Reply: Rusty Fuel Filter