Sponsored by:

Dealer CAN"T Make a 2nd Key for Me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer CAN"T Make a 2nd Key for Me!!!

So last week I bought my Excursion, and it only came with 1 key and remote. Today I went to the Ford Dealer to get a 2nd key made. They said it should only be about 20-25 minutes.......2 hours later the Service manager comes out and says they can't get my Excursion to take the new program. He said every time it completes like 90% of the program it just shuts down and won't do anything. He said they have never seen anything like this. He said they could start "diagnosing" the problem for $90/hour, but at this time they are unable to program me another key

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

-The Great

Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It took about an hour when that had to make one for my mustang back in 2000. The are either doing something wrong or there is a problem with the pats system/module.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can make copies of your key at Lowes and zip tie your original key near the ignition out of sight and then the Lowes keys will work.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I would try a different dealership to get a second opinion.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM
patliston
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a locksmith do mine. He hooked a device to the obdc port. I know that it can be done without the device. I think instructions are in the owner's manual.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Several good posts here . You can use standard keys , hide orig. , watch for battery draw . A good locksmith with proper certifications and tools can do it . It can take a while but problems with PATS should set codes dealer will see , try a different dealer . I just cut a second key for mine , non pats , in case of lock out . I also have a key pad on my door , if battery is dead pad won't work . Just my 2 cents .

Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by patliston
I know that it can be done without the device. I think instructions are in the owner's manual.
Not when you only have one key.

In order for a person to program a key themselves, two working keys need to be in their possession.

Stewart

Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by JWC 3
Several good posts here . You can use standard keys , hide orig. , watch for battery draw . A good locksmith with proper certifications and tools can do it . It can take a while but problems with PATS should set codes dealer will see , try a different dealer . I just cut a second key for mine , non pats , in case of lock out . I also have a key pad on my door , if battery is dead pad won't work . Just my 2 cents .
I also went to Ace today, and they said they can make one, but I couldn't use it as a "factory" key to make other copies. They said their key only mimics the original key. Anyone know about this?

Ya the dealer never said what the problem could be (or any codes for that matter), except that they could start "diagnosing" it for $90/hour

I also have a regular non-coded key just for the case of locked door.

-The Great

Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by CLINT-THE-GREAT
I also went to Ace today, and they said they can make one, but I couldn't use it as a "factory" key to make other copies. They said their key only mimics the original key. Anyone know about this?
When the dealer makes copies , they have to program . All assigned Keys have to be present at program .If not , they will not work properly .They will unlock but not start .It can be used to cut a factory key , if factory key is lost . Key can also be cut by dealer if you show ownership and proper VIN . It still has to be programed . There are threads on this sight that show how to get past dealer program . I have not seen them work personally , but worth a look .

Last edited by Stewart_H; 02-14-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Guess I aint got that quote thing down . All run together , sorry .

Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Guess I aint got that quote thing down . All run together , sorry .
You deleted the end quote coding.

I fixed it for you.

Stewart

Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
There are threads on this sight that show how to get past dealer program . I have not seen them work personally , but worth a look .
I just want my keys to work properly. I am willing to pay the $120 for them to program new keys, but my local dealer says they can't because apparently my Excursion "won't take the program" even when they said they reflashed it. If a dealer can't make them work, i don't know what else to do. That's why I was turning to the Brethren for answers...

-The Great

Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You deleted the end quote coding.

I fixed it for you.

Stewart
I need to get my 18 year old daughter to help me , all she does it text and type . Lol , Thanks .

Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by CLINT-THE-GREAT
I just want my keys to work properly. I am willing to pay the $120 for them to program new keys, but my local dealer says they can't because apparently my Excursion "won't take the program" even when they said they reflashed it. If a dealer can't make them work, i don't know what else to do. That's why I was turning to the Brethren for answers...

-The Great
Try another dealer or an accredited Lock Smith . There are more options other than your local dealer . Some dealers give any maker a bad name . Get a second opinion .Good luck !

Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Try another dealer or an accredited Lock Smith . There are more options other than your local dealer . Some dealers give any maker a bad name . Get a second opinion .Good luck !
Thanks, I think I will try that.

-The Great

Quick Reply: Dealer CAN"T Make a 2nd Key for Me!!!