Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Normal Engine Oil Use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 AM
robinsonpowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Normal Engine Oil Use?

What is the normal oil use of your trucks? I am using about 1 quart per 1000 miles. I have no engine oil leaks other than about 2 drips from the CCV. I routed the CCV hose over top of the brake master cylinder which I thought was to keep the oil inside the motor. I can't see where the 2 drips could add up to 1 quart per 1000 miles. I also replaced the injectors about 2-3k miles ago so I can't see where it is the injector o-rings. Also was using oil like this before I replaced the injectors. There is 207k miles on the truck.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Um, I may need to knock on wood after saying this, but since mine doesn't use any oil I'm going to go ahead and say that zero oil use is "normal." Now what's "acceptable" may be different for different people.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not currently losing any with 225k. But, I've heard 1-2 quarts per change is a normal level. Lots of guys have to add between changes, but I haven't on Tex yet, and only did a couple times on Gus, but he leaked like a new oreleans levy.

Keep an eye for oil in the filter anyway, I took out the sticks in Tex and several didn't seat right from when the PO did them. (Assuming he had them done and it wasn't factory rings. )

Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 AM
robinsonpowerstroke
Laughing Gas
So if I was getting oil leak by the injector o-rings, I should be getting some blue smoke, correct? The only time I get some smoke is on cold starts, below ~35F, for about 1 minute or less.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 AM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I change my oil at 3K miles and don't have to add any at all, don't even see any change on the dipstick. ~ 163K on my truck

Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Both of my trucks have always used about 2qrts/oil change (4-5k miles). I never add oil. Even my new engine has about the same rate of consumption. UOA's have always been in the normal range for wear/etc.

The exception was running an AIS with Stage 1's and a 38R. I went through a gallon of oil in 1000mi while towing the Toy Hauler. Oil consumption was not that bad, but still elevated when driving empty. Went back to the (presumably less restrictive) 6637 and oil consumption returned to 'normal'.

Currently venting CCV to atmosphere with the S366 charger. We'll have to see how oil level is affected by this change. (I can't stand CCV to atmosphere - this will be getting fixed )

In theory, ALL piston engines consume some oil. The cross-hatching on the cylinder walls is designed to hold some oil and provide lubrication for the rings. This oil loss can be compensated by adding soot and fuel to the crankcase during cold-start when the rings are not fully seated yet (they need some thermal expansion).

Short-trip engines that never see operating temp can see an INCREASE in oil level due to acquiring moisture from condensation. I stole a 2yr old '97 4Runner off a dealer lot one time because it had milky oil under the oil fill cap. It had been on the lot (in FL) for 45days, and I was gambling the water-contamination was due to just being moved around the lot and not being driven up to operating temp. I made them feel good about giving me $7k off their 'best price' and put 100k miles on that thing without ANY problems.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robinsonpowerstroke
So if I was getting oil leak by the injector o-rings, I should be getting some blue smoke, correct? The only time I get some smoke is on cold starts, below ~35F, for about 1 minute or less.
Not necessarily. But the fuel filter will turn black for sure.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
What oil are you using ? Mine would use 1 1/2 qt very 5k with delo and motorcraft

Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't use any. Now, if I fill to the top I will lose a little over time. But if I leave it a little below the full line it stays there for 5k miles. If you don't add that quart, does the loss stop? I have heard this is not uncommon.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM
robinsonpowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Both of my trucks have always used about 2qrts/oil change (4-5k miles). I never add oil. Even my new engine has about the same rate of consumption. UOA's have always been in the normal range for wear/etc.

The exception was running an AIS with Stage 1's and a 38R. I went through a gallon of oil in 1000mi while towing the Toy Hauler. Oil consumption was not that bad, but still elevated when driving empty. Went back to the (presumably less restrictive) 6637 and oil consumption returned to 'normal'.

Currently venting CCV to atmosphere with the S366 charger. We'll have to see how oil level is affected by this change. (I can't stand CCV to atmosphere - this will be getting fixed )

In theory, ALL piston engines consume some oil. The cross-hatching on the cylinder walls is designed to hold some oil and provide lubrication for the rings. This oil loss can be compensated by adding soot and fuel to the crankcase during cold-start when the rings are not fully seated yet (they need some thermal expansion).

Short-trip engines that never see operating temp can see an INCREASE in oil level due to acquiring moisture from condensation. I stole a 2yr old '97 4Runner off a dealer lot one time because it had milky oil under the oil fill cap. It had been on the lot (in FL) for 45days, and I was gambling the water-contamination was due to just being moved around the lot and not being driven up to operating temp. I made them feel good about giving me $7k off their 'best price' and put 100k miles on that thing without ANY problems.
I can understand and would think it would use a touch more oil when cold. I have pulled the filler cap off and turned it upside down on the filler neck. It does not blow it off, just vibrated off after about 10 seconds.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM
robinsonpowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by fordpride
What oil are you using ? Mine would use 1 1/2 qt very 5k with delo and motorcraft
Schaeffers 9000 5w-40

Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM
robinsonpowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by thomabb
I don't use any. Now, if I fill to the top I will lose a little over time. But if I leave it a little below the full line it stays there for 5k miles. If you don't add that quart, does the loss stop? I have heard this is not uncommon.
I have not tried it. Checked it this morning and it was about 1/4" from the bottom of the dipstick. I topped it off.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
twg1966
Trying to Gain Knowledge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In ten years of owning my truck and 175k miles, i have only had to add a couple of quarts on one oil change interval. That being said, I typically check the oil and make sure it is in the normal range on the dipstick. I run 6k - 8k oil change intervals and have not seen an issue with oil consumption or leak.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM
robinsonpowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by twg1966
In ten years of owning my truck and 175k miles, i have only had to add a couple of quarts on one oil change interval. That being said, I typically check the oil and make sure it is in the normal range on the dipstick. I run 6k - 8k oil change intervals and have not seen an issue with oil consumption or leak.
Ok so now this is bothering me. I wonder where this is all going then. Any ideas?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 AM
robinsonpowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Here is a video of the vent cap flipped upside down to show engine blow by: http://s486.beta.photobucket.com/use...A7F6D.mp4.html
Here is a video of the truck running cold when it was ~20F outside: http://s486.beta.photobucket.com/use..._1637.mp4.html

Quick Reply: Normal Engine Oil Use?