Sponsored by: DP Tuner

T500 HPOP unique problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
T500 HPOP unique problem?

Folks, I've been trying to track down a persistent oil leak for about 9 months, and finally found it. About 8 months ago I thought I had found it when my HPOP Reservoir lid had a hairline fracture in it...which it WAS leaking, but I kept getting oil on the ground afterward.

So today, I found that underneath my HPOP near the rear, on the "bell housing" (don't know what else to call it), there is a small machined hole that looks like it's been plugged (my guess is about 1/16"). Anyway, it is weeping oil there when the engine is running, and of course, the higher the RPM, the faster the leak. The only way I found it was with an angled mirror and a bright flashlight.

My question is, is this hole unique to the Terminator Engineering T500 pumps? I don't recall seeing them on an OEM pump. I have attached a photo of an OEM pump with a red dot where I believe the hole is drilled. It may be around the housing a little closer to the IPR area.

Anyone have a stock or T500 pump out of their truck to look at it?

I will probably be calling Joey or his folks over at TE to figure this out. I'm not looking forward to having to R&R the HPOP again. Ugggh.

Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its just a pin hole, i would use JB weld..

Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tailgate77478
Folks, I've been trying to track down a persistent oil leak for about 9 months, and finally found it. About 8 months ago I thought I had found it when my HPOP Reservoir lid had a hairline fracture in it...which it WAS leaking, but I kept getting oil on the ground afterward.

So today, I found that underneath my HPOP near the rear, on the "bell housing" (don't know what else to call it), there is a small machined hole that looks like it's been plugged (my guess is about 1/16"). Anyway, it is weeping oil there when the engine is running, and of course, the higher the RPM, the faster the leak. The only way I found it was with an angled mirror and a bright flashlight.

My question is, is this hole unique to the Terminator Engineering T500 pumps? I don't recall seeing them on an OEM pump. I have attached a photo of an OEM pump with a red dot where I believe the hole is drilled. It may be around the housing a little closer to the IPR area.

I will probably be calling Joey or his folks over at TE to figure this out. I'm not looking forward to having to R&R the HPOP again. Ugggh.
Could the hole be related to the area of the pin located inside the HPOP housing in this picture?

Name:  hpop housing.jpg
Views: 7282
Size:  101.2 KB

Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Roland:

If you're talking about the area I circled in the 7-to-8 o'clock position, then YES. It most likely is this. Does that go all the way through? If so, how is it repaired?

Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Wish I had an answer for you.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM
tennesseecoalroller0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joeyd61
If its just a pin hole, i would use JB weld..
Just jb weld it????? Ya i think not ole joey would be eating this pump because op says its been doing it since he put it in. everyone seems to cover up for termi, while yes i use a t500 and i like the pump overall, but my buddy also had one the fittings were garbage, they blew off while he was going down the road, he calls terminator and instead of them at least sending him new fittings they say oh we suggest u buy some new fittings. What bull crap

Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Who's picture was that and why is the spacer in the wrong spot on the IPR?

As for the leak, I don't remember seeing a hole there in the stock or T500's I've seen. Of course, any time existing parts are rebuilt, there's the risk of old housings or pieces failing. Send Joey an email and see what he suggests. I'm guessing the answer won't be JB weld. I'd be concerned your small pinhole will develop into a crack or bigger hole if you ignore it.

I don't know what the pin in Rolands picture does, or if it is touched by any of the HPOP builders when they do their stuff.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Well, I'd like to keep this on topic by saying I'm sure TE will stand by their product. I've sent them an email concerning the issue.

Chris, I don't know where Roland got his photo, but mine was literally pulled from Google Images as I simply wanted to use the angle of the photo to draw my arrow. Heck, the photo I used might even be an OBS 15* pump, but it's simply as an illustration. I think Roland did the same, only that he found an interesting correlation to my problem area.

Don't know whether to feel privileged to find such a unique problem or not.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Let us know what Joey says. I'm sure he'll help you out.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:04 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

I'm not trying to bash anyone(and those who know me personally could attest), but does this guy exist. I had a problem in the fall and was supposed to get a T500. I was told to call him. After 7 unreturned phone calls and probably 6 unanswered emails, I'm pretty sure I'm giving up on the idea of putting a T500 in my truck just because I'm scared to death of something happening to a pump like what's stated above and not be able to get ahold of anyone.

Subscribing to see how this plays out.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I understand your concern Mike. I've heard of others who have had trouble getting a hold of Joey before. Of course I've heard of issues with all the HPOP builders. Guess you can't always please everyone. Find one you feel comfortable with and go that route. Feeling good about the parts you buy is important.

I've never had an issue with Joey getting back to me. Even when I was telling him I thought I was dealing with a bad T500. After some emails back and forth and some live data info, he agreed and it was fixed. (under warranty)

Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 Super Duty
I'm not trying to bash anyone(and those who know me personally could attest), but does this guy exist. I had a problem in the fall and was supposed to get a T500. I was told to call him. After 7 unreturned phone calls and probably 6 unanswered emails, I'm pretty sure I'm giving up on the idea of putting a T500 in my truck just because I'm scared to death of something happening to a pump like what's stated above and not be able to get ahold of anyone.

Subscribing to see how this plays out.
Go through Clay.

Stewart

Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 PM
tappit01
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Go through Clay.

Stewart
x2 on clay , i've only made 1 purchase from him so far for about $400.00
but you would have thought i spent 40 thousand with the help and service i recieved. i recomend him to every one.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 PM
TerminatorEng.
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tailgate77478

Mark, no problem, it has a 2 year warranty. It could be a casting flaw. Who knows. If you could send me an actual picture of the hole, it would be more helpful. I would probably drill a larger hole, then tap it, and cap with a 1/16" pipe plug. Not a big deal. If you want to ship it back, I'll fix it.

Tncoalroller, I don't know who your buddy is, but nobody called me. My number is not public, because I don't have time to chat on the phone, as I have two full time jobs. If he blew fittings out, that would require thread repair, which I do at no charge for anyone with any of my pumps. So I'm confused.

F250 Super Duty, who are you? I don't get calls. Everything is through email. Which email account did you use? I do get busy at times, which sets me back a few days on emails, like the last few months(way behind). FYI, I am a 1 man operation. I do everything myself. If you have an emergency, contact a Dealer. Most of them, if not all, are very helpful and they all have a direct line to me. That is why I have Dealers, to help with Customer service.

Thank you,

Joey@TE

Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 AM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by TerminatorEng.
Mark, no problem, it has a 2 year warranty. It could be a casting flaw. Who knows. If you could send me an actual picture of the hole, it would be more helpful. I would probably drill a larger hole, then tap it, and cap with a 1/16" pipe plug. Not a big deal. If you want to ship it back, I'll fix it.

Tncoalroller, I don't know who your buddy is, but nobody called me. My number is not public, because I don't have time to chat on the phone, as I have two full time jobs. If he blew fittings out, that would require thread repair, which I do at no charge for anyone with any of my pumps. So I'm confused.

F250 Super Duty, who are you? I don't get calls. Everything is through email. Which email account did you use? I do get busy at times, which sets me back a few days on emails, like the last few months(way behind). FYI, I am a 1 man operation. I do everything myself. If you have an emergency, contact a Dealer. Most of them, if not all, are very helpful and they all have a direct line to me. That is why I have Dealers, to help with Customer service.

Thank you,

Joey@TE
We are one of those dealers. If you ever have any issues or questions, contact me through e-mail or PM. I'll be glad to help anyone out with whatever I can.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com

Quick Reply: T500 HPOP unique problem?