BadDog, nice clean build.

Is that 3" pvc pipe?

How long is the pvc pipe?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 AM
koski19
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Here a photo of the catch can I made and I plumbed it back into the intake and it catchs about 1/2 oz about 2k miles. Now I used brass scrub pads in it. If I were to redo it I would use SS scrub pads and a upper baffle to catch more oil. I still have a little oil that makes to the IC pipes but not enough to really worry about but with a better design I feel there would be next to none. I also want to point out that I feel it is important to make sure that there is always negative crankcase pressure. Positive crankcase pressure can cause bad things to happen. I am just pointing out the what if's.
I like your setup. Will you supply the parts used? Do you need to have your truck smog? I do in Nevada and wonder it this setup would cause an issue at the test station. I currently vent to the rear of the truck and hook it back up factory when the smog check comes due then back to the mod afterwards.

jeff

Old 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Ed lives in a smog check county but diesels are exempt from getting smog checked so I know Ed does not have to smog check his truck.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Chris123NT
Senior User
I'd love for someone to post an exact parts list. Been wanting to do a catch can setup for a while. I had the CCV mod for a while but reverted it because of the constant smell.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:24 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner
Here is the one I made for my truck.

That's a pretty nice looking setup - mind sharing a parts list?

Old 02-24-2013, 02:58 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Justin's (DP) is store bought, I can't remember where from but he talked about in an earlier thread.
Tractor Supply??

Last edited by trekbasso; 02-24-2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: CRS
Old 02-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by papadelogan
That's a pretty nice looking setup - mind sharing a parts list?
About 10ft. of 3/4" hose, 4 hose clamps, catch can from TSC(see below), and a couple fittings for the catch can(also from TSC).

Originally Posted by trekbasso
Justin's (DP) is store bought, I can't remember where from but he talked about in an earlier thread.
Tractor Supply??
Yep, HERE is a link to the catch can...

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by r***r
BadDog, nice clean build.

Is that 3" pvc pipe?

How long is the pvc pipe?
Thanks it works but could work better with some improvements. No it isn't 3" it's 2 1/2 pvc inch but it might work better with a 3" pvc since you can get more S.S. scrub pads in it.

Originally Posted by koski19
I like your setup. Will you supply the parts used? Do you need to have your truck smog? I do in Nevada and wonder it this setup would cause an issue at the test station. I currently vent to the rear of the truck and hook it back up factory when the smog check comes due then back to the mod afterwards.

jeff
Jeff I used 2 1/2 pvc pipe. Plastic 3/4 barb fittings and I used a steel 3/4 pipe plug to tap the treads in the pvc. And instead of using glue I used a 2 part pvc epoxy also to seal the fittings and caps.I used a 1/4 ball shut off valve used for the ice maker on your fig. It has a 1/4 compression fitting which I am going to bent up a piece of 1/4 brake line and run it to the bottom of frame rail. The bracket that holds it is home made and I used a exhaust wrap tie strap to attach the catch can. And the hose that goes to the doghouse was a 3/4 heater core hose that I found at the local parts that suited my needs. Sorry I don't have a part number. And I used a clear hose from the hardware store so I could keep an eye on what's get past the catch can. And I used scrub pads inside. But like I said before if I were to do it again I would use S.S. scrub pads.
Originally Posted by robbragiel
Ed lives in a smog check county but diesels are exempt from getting smog checked so I know Ed does not have to smog check his truck.
You are right Rob that here in NW Indiana we smog everything but diesels for now. I always worry that someday they will change that so that is another reason I wanted to make something that looks like it belongs there and is still plumbed back to stock location. Would it be considered legal I would like to be believe that it would. The only reason I would think it won't pass smog is the drain on the bottom. And if the Smog Police ever asked me about it I would NOT call it a catch can but would say it is a "Filter" So that hopefully that terminilogy would help to keep them from getting their panties in a wad.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 AM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks it works but could work better with some improvements. No it isn't 3" it's 2 1/2 pvc inch but it might work better with a 3" pvc since you can get more S.S. scrub pads in it.
I'm going to give your idea a go. What is the length of the pvc pipe? Thanks for the info Ed.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by r***r
I'm going to give your idea a go. What is the length of the pvc pipe? Thanks for the info Ed.
Rich I'll measure it tomorrow for you. And if you are going to go that route I would say make it with a few improvements over mine with maybe making it a little longer, 3", S.S. scrub pads and a baffle at the top just below the output line. What I mean by baffle is alot of the fancy store bought ones use baffles (plates with holes or fine mesh screen) instead of scrub pads. But I would use both.

Also I don't know if you can tell from the photo the inlet from the doghouse is lower than the output to the intake. You want to make sure your outlet is higher. And I also wanted the inlet from the doghouse to be alittle higher than the doghouse incase the catch can ever got to the point it had oil up to the inlet then when the truck was off it would run back into the valve cover. Now for me to be able to place the output higher than the input I had to cut about 1/2" off the top cap before putting it together. The higher you can get the output the better. I'll post how long it is tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM
koski19
Senior User

Jeff I used 2 1/2 pvc pipe. Plastic 3/4 barb fittings and I used a steel 3/4 pipe plug to tap the treads in the pvc. And instead of using glue I used a 2 part pvc epoxy also to seal the fittings and caps.I used a 1/4 ball shut off valve used for the ice maker on your fig. It has a 1/4 compression fitting which I am going to bent up a piece of 1/4 brake line and run it to the bottom of frame rail. The bracket that holds it is home made and I used a exhaust wrap tie strap to attach the catch can. And the hose that goes to the doghouse was a 3/4 heater core hose that I found at the local parts that suited my needs. Sorry I don't have a part number. And I used a clear hose from the hardware store so I could keep an eye on what's get past the catch can. And I used scrub pads inside. But like I said before if I were to do it again I would use S.S. scrub pads.
You are right Rob that here in NW Indiana we smog everything but diesels for now. I always worry that someday they will change that so that is another reason I wanted to make something that looks like it belongs there and is still plumbed back to stock location. Would it be considered legal I would like to be believe that it would. The only reason I would think it won't pass smog is the drain on the bottom. And if the Smog Police ever asked me about it I would NOT call it a catch can but would say it is a "Filter" So that hopefully that terminilogy would help to keep them from getting their panties in a wad.
Thanks Bad Dog.....I'll be changing mine over this Spring during the service interval....
Jeff

Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 PM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Rich I'll measure it tomorrow for you. And if you are going to go that route I would say make it with a few improvements over mine with maybe making it a little longer, 3", S.S. scrub pads and a baffle at the top just below the output line. What I mean by baffle is alot of the fancy store bought ones use baffles (plates with holes or fine mesh screen) instead of scrub pads. But I would use both.

Also I don't know if you can tell from the photo the inlet from the doghouse is lower than the output to the intake. You want to make sure your outlet is higher. And I also wanted the inlet from the doghouse to be alittle higher than the doghouse incase the catch can ever got to the point it had oil up to the inlet then when the truck was off it would run back into the valve cover. Now for me to be able to place the output higher than the input I had to cut about 1/2" off the top cap before putting it together. The higher you can get the output the better. I'll post how long it is tomorrow.
Great info. I'll raise the outlet towards the top.

Question about the inlet. Could the inlet be closer to the bottom of the catch-can(I mean filter) so to drain more of the oil back into the valve cover, that is if I can mount the can high enough so there is a slope downward from the can to the doghouse?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 AM
truck7575
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 PM
truck7575
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
any harm in not using any kind of collection canister? I just have mine vented to air and no collection canister

Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Eckerle
any harm in not using any kind of collection canister? I just have mine vented to air and no collection canister
No Harm at all. That oil that comes out will just coat the underneath of your truck and prevent rusting.

Quick Reply: CCV mod variation?