Sponsored by: DP Tuner

what up-grades are the best for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM
bielaf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what up-grades are the best for the buck

Hey everyone i am just trying to get everyone's opinion here. i have a bone stock all original f-250. i am looking into getting gauges not sure if i want to go a pillar or drop down right above the rear view mirror if i go a-pillar this is what i am looking at
99-07 Ford Super Duty PowerStroke Custom Gauge Package

i am wanting to do a 4" turbo back just not sure what would be the best one for that or if it even matters. i was looking on xdp diesel power lots of options out there. i am going to do a wicked wheel turbo upgrade. i am looking for an intake that will provide the best results. i have been on here reading the past week and have found a couple that everyone talks about just trying to get some input of actual users. pretty sure there has been something like this brought up but i haven't found it and probably not looking right either. so if you would be willing to share your knowledge please feel free to do so i am all about listening and learning to people who have been there and have tried different things an i understand it is all a matter of preference on most of the things i am looking at.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start with guages like you said... I've heard some bad reviews on the glowshifts, but others have used them with no problems. Check out Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Powerstroke Parts | Ford Diesel Parts | Ford - 99-03 Super Duty 7.3L Clay is a great guy, excellent customer service and his prices are hard to beat.

As far as exhaust, really doesn't matter much, you can save some bucks and just straight pipe your stock exhaust, it will flow pleanty. Look at MagnaFlow, Diamond Eye or MBRP if you decide you want a bigger system. Intakes are all about preference, 6637 is what a lot of people run, look under intakes on Clay's site, he sells just about every one available. The choice is yours, the AIS is going to be quieter than others, but the price is well.... I like my 6637, get to hear the turbo whine, it sounds like a diesel, My thoughts are if you don't like the sound of our motors, maybe you shoulda bought a Prius instead

Then go through and check up on everything, boost leaks, exhaust leaks, make sure everything is in proper working order and you should be good to go. By then you just might be ready for a custom tune to be thrown at your rig.

Whatever you have questions about, come here, this forum is loaded with 7.3 Einstein's and they will all be willing to help out.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:05 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
What is your goal?

Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
bielaf
Senior User
well at the moment i am trying to better my gas mileage and eventually i am just going to haul a fifth wheel camper or a boat at the moment it is just four wheeler i am hauling but last time i filled up i averaged 10mpg in the city and that is with slow take offs and babying it seeing how my mpg's are and i drove it on the highway rpm's around 2200 and i averaged around 15 mpg's

Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Seen quite a few threads where it has been speculated that your stock exhaust is good to go as is... just do a muffler delete if you want it louder...

6637 air filter flows a bit more air than stock... its loud...and you will hear your turbo surge more clearly with one... but best bang for buck imo...

There is a new turbo compressor wheel being beta tested... wicked wheel gen two..
Its available at a reduced cost during beta if you pony up your truck as a guinea pig...
40+psi boost on a stock turbo is pretty tempting...

Hutch/harpoon... get the air out of the system...

Riffraff's FRx yielded me a quieter motor and better throttle response.

Fresh injector orings made a World of difference.

Gauges gauges gauges!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing first, make sure everything is running as it should. Clean the back pressure sensor tube and sensor, make sure the up pipes are not leaking and repair if needed, etc... Add gauges like you said, and do the hutch and harpoon mods for the fuel system. The fuel rail crossover (FRx) and high pressure crossover (HPx for oil) are good additions that even things up.

Up the intake, 6637 is what I run, but whatever you decide STAY AWAY from the drop in K&N. it will dust your turbo. The cone type K&N is ok, but overpriced considering its just a heat shield and filter. Ford AIS will be quiet and is great in flow and filtering, but it's high and the replacement filters are high.

Exhaust is fine stock, 4" will help some, but from what I've read it's not necessary. 5" is definitely overkill and not necessary.

After those, we'll help out with where to go from there. May consider beefing up the trans...

Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM
7.3bo-ti-etr
Senior User
Any links on the beta whicked wheel.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 01-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bielaf
Hey everyone i am just trying to get everyone's opinion here. i have a bone stock all original f-250. i am looking into getting gauges not sure if i want to go a pillar or drop down right above the rear view mirror if i go a-pillar this is what i am looking at
99-07 Ford Super Duty PowerStroke Custom Gauge Package

i am wanting to do a 4" turbo back just not sure what would be the best one for that or if it even matters. i was looking on xdp diesel power lots of options out there. i am going to do a wicked wheel turbo upgrade. i am looking for an intake that will provide the best results. i have been on here reading the past week and have found a couple that everyone talks about just trying to get some input of actual users. pretty sure there has been something like this brought up but i haven't found it and probably not looking right either. so if you would be willing to share your knowledge please feel free to do so i am all about listening and learning to people who have been there and have tried different things an i understand it is all a matter of preference on most of the things i am looking at.
I've never tried the GlowShift gauges myself so I can't really comment much other than to say that over the years I've seen more negative comments than positive....but there have been positive comments so it may be a hit and miss thing.

The following comments are my opinion only so take them with a grain of salt (so to speak...)

Unless your new exhaust system is stainless steel, then you will be taking a step back in materials (IMO...). I have a drop in K&N in my truck....300k miles so far and I am still waiting for it to dust my engine like everyone says will happen. My wife's truck has one as well....200k on that truck and it's still alive also. I guess there isn't any 'dust' where I live....
The real issue is to make sure the lid on your factory air box seals properly.
And BTW....contrary to popular belief, the factory air box is a cold air intake...

The wicked wheel is not an upgrade. It is a band aid for a specific issue that can appear when the PCM calibration is altered.

Best Bang for the Buck? Leave your intake and exhaust alone, perform regular maintenance and make sure all your OEM systems are operating properly. For towing performance, a quality transmission cooler is the very first thing that anyone should get. The next 'upgrade' could be some additional gauges. EGT, Trans Temp and Fuel pressure are the most useful. The next thing I usually do for towing is to upgrade the transmission hardware, then I get some quality calibrations that can be switched on the fly and hit the road.

Welcome to FTE...

Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
i got the g.l. gauges. Its been a hit/miss with them. egt took a dump after a few months of use. Trans gauge made it to its year. The other 7 are all working good. If i had to do all over again, i'd get the AeroForce gauge and be done with it. Maybe..(if had a auto trans), get the f650 dash to isolate the egt gauge ,but have all othe parameters go thru the Aero gauge...my 2 pennies.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Do what Ford should have done (WTS light indeed ), put in a Glow Plug Relay (GPR) operation indicator LED lamp. Probably cost $5 to do and will save a lot of grief later.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM
howellt39
Senior User
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Do what Ford should have done (WTS light indeed ), put in a Glow Plug Relay (GPR) operation indicator LED lamp. Probably cost $5 to do and will save a lot of grief later.
Can't say I disagree with that at all, given the number of folks that do it later.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
If your only getting 10 MPG now then I would look for boost leaks and a plugged EBPS and tube. Get your Mpg's back up before adding a bunch of stuff. On average with stock tires and unloaded you should be getting around 15 mpg on average with a F250 give or take +1/-1. Are you hand calculating your fuel mileage? One thing to remember is that all the goodies you add probably wont net you any gain in mpg's. I just drove from South Carolina to Florida and drove 70 mph the whole way (trust me it was killing me) and I got 20.05 mpg and that was 2000 rpm and under. I was a happy camper.

Last edited by Pitcrw6; 01-17-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: That was hand calculated mpg
Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM
bielaf
Senior User
I am appreciative of all the coments and ideas and allof first hand eexperiences and I am waiting for it to warm up a little bit cause with it being a new york truck it is going to be rusted on there pretty good cause I got the truck on december 31 and the body is rusty but the frame is good so that's what matters and as for exhaust the only reason I am looking is the previous owner cut the muffler and run a test pipe and that bugs me cause it could have been done better and for the intake the plastic housing that goes on top of the filter is broken so I fixed it the best I could with cardboard and ducktape till I can get something new my front two tires are choppy from not being rotated and are a different tread pattern then the rear is but it is goijg to be a slow project but one day it will be complete

Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robbragiel
I just drove from South Carolina to Florida and drove 70 mph the whole way (trust me it was killing me) and I got 20.05 mpg and that was 2000 rpm and under. I was a happy camper.
Yeah yeah, but that's all down hill...

Quick Reply: what up-grades are the best for the buck