Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Ford Excursion Cruise Control Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:02 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
ouch on the price. You can get genuine Ford part for under $20 shipped. I think I paid $13 for mine last month + $5 shipping

Originally Posted by Wayne Cameron
I found my problem. Loose connection on the switches attached to the brake. In the meantime I purchased a servo from a local yard. I won't need it now.
Wayne
if you haven't already done so, I recommend you put a fused link on that switch. they are known to leak over time and the oil + electricity can cause fires. been known to burn rigs to the ground.

Ford has a recall that installs a in-line fuse. it's a 5 amp fuse that blows and isolates the circuit when the switch fails and starts leaking. simple easy protection.

btw, you should probably edit that last post and delete the sale part. not allowed in this section of FTE.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

here is the Ford recall...notice the oil slick and my failed switch?

here is my replacement switch. notice my new inline fuse. I made sure to route the wiring this time so it wouldn't get ruined if/when the switch starts leaking again. the Ford Recall item was a very nice item, but the oil had penetrated all aspects of it and it was useless. shame because I would have loved to re-use it

Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
At that price, might as well replace mine just for grins. Is this a universal part for all Excursions? Amazon's goofy "will this fit guide" says it's a no-go for my 04.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Wayne Cameron
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Excursion Cruise Module

Romanova:

I just checked and found that it probably won't work for a 2004 Excursion.
For your information it will fit the following that I know for sure:
1999 to 2001 Excursion
1999 to 2002 Super duty Trucks...250,350, 450. V-10, 5.4 etc. No Diesel.

Hope this clears things up.
Wayne

Old 08-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Romanova
Senior User
Were later Excursions subject to this problem?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by Wayne Cameron
Tylus:
Sorry, you are a little confused....
no I'm not confused at all. you are not allowed to sell items here in the normal forum. post the part up in the classifieds, not this thread.

The only part I'm talking about replacing is the brake master cylinder switch. P/N: SW-6350. it's the most common fail point for Cruise Control issues

Last edited by Stewart_H; 10-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:34 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Tylus
no I'm not confused at all. you are not allowed to sell items here in the normal forum. post the part up in the classifieds, not this thread.

The only part I'm talking about replacing is the brake master cylinder switch. P/N: SW-6350. it's the most common fail point for Cruise Control issues
Well, My cruise just failed today on my 00 XLT Ex. I get the same symptomes as Wayne. On-Off work fine, when I depress set/Res/Coast the "cruise" light turns on, but no control of speed. I'll check the switch when I get off work, but will the wetting of that switch still allow the "cruise" light to energize? Seems like if the switch/wires were wetted, I wouldn't even get the "Cruise" light.

Any help is appreciated!

Garry

Old 01-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Sledgehammer1995
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issues and started investigating after the recall was done and vacuum hoses the pressure switch still the cruise would not work I also replaced a few other parts in the vacuum system but still didnt work I decided to pull the brake light switch off the brake pedal because i noticed the clip that held it on was broken as I was inspecting it i noticed it could come apart so I opened it and found 5 brass pins inside and 2 of them appeared to have been shorted at some point so I cleaned them off put it all back together and as I was driving to the part store to buy replacement the cruise actually work so I have held off on replacing it and has now been working for about 2 months. Just wanted to share what seems to have fixed mine a new brake light switch about $20.00 at any local parts store.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer1995
I had the same issues and started investigating after the recall was done and vacuum hoses the pressure switch still the cruise would not work I also replaced a few other parts in the vacuum system but still didnt work I decided to pull the brake light switch off the brake pedal because i noticed the clip that held it on was broken as I was inspecting it i noticed it could come apart so I opened it and found 5 brass pins inside and 2 of them appeared to have been shorted at some point so I cleaned them off put it all back together and as I was driving to the part store to buy replacement the cruise actually work so I have held off on replacing it and has now been working for about 2 months. Just wanted to share what seems to have fixed mine a new brake light switch about $20.00 at any local parts store.
Awesome post, Sledge!

This is the best example of how to bump and old thread for the perfect reason.

Stewart

Old 04-11-2015, 06:55 AM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So I just had the same issue. Here are my symptoms- cruise on/off do not activate the dash light, nor do the other 3 work. The fuse under the dash is good. I have not checked the switch near the master for leaks, so I will start there. Will the brake fluid leak keep the cruise from turning on?

Old 04-11-2015, 11:04 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
When you turn on the ON/OFF does the cruse indicator light FLASH ON for a second ?? When mine did, it was the brake switch.. When the module on the fender was out on a diff X the light would light BUT no cruse action.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:30 AM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
No light action of any kind

Old 05-02-2015, 03:07 PM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
So I checked this today. Mine had the ford recall kit w/fuse. It also does not have any brake fluid in the connections. Lastly the fuse is not bad. Any tips?

Old 05-03-2015, 08:44 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
So I checked this today. Mine had the ford recall kit w/fuse. It also does not have any brake fluid in the connections. Lastly the fuse is not bad. Any tips?

Try bypassing the recall jumper & plug in directly. That fixed one of mine...

Quick Reply: 2000 Ford Excursion Cruise Control Problems?