Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   2000 Ford Excursion Cruise Control Problems? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1214950-2000-ford-excursion-cruise-control-problems.html)

Mitchell_Texas 01-06-2013 07:56 PM

2000 Ford Excursion Cruise Control Problems?

Hey, having the usual problems with the cruise control. 100k miles on the Ford Excursion. Cruise control stopped working. I took it into the local "stealer." They wanted to charge me 650.00 to fix it. Is this the Cruise control servo or is there an even more expensive part to fix the cruise control?

Tom 01-07-2013 04:43 AM

It's certainly possible for the speed control servo to go bad, but there are other things that could cause it as well.

There was a recall campaign for these model years that involved the speed control deactivation switch that is mounted on the brake master cylinder. The recall required that dealers inspect the switch to determine if there was a leak. If the switch wasn't leaking(mine apparently wasn't) they were to install a fused jumper harness inline between the connector and the switch.

But if the switch was in fact leaking the repair was to replace the switch with this part:

And also install the fused jumper harness ensuring to put dielectric grease on the contacts.

So when my speed control wasn't working when I bought my X I unplugged the harness from the sensor on the master cylinder. The inside was wet with brake fluid which confirmed that the deactivation switch had failed, and so I replaced it with the part from Amazon.com and it's worked ever since.

If your sensor isn't leaking then you could follow the instructions in the following TSB for diagnosis:

06-8-5***SPEED CONTROL DIAGNOSTICS - W/O SCP

Tom 01-07-2013 04:54 AM

And lastly if it is the cruise control servo you can buy one for around $320 plus shipping from one of our site sponsors:

2000 FORD EXCURSION Parts - Tousley Ford Parts Depot

They have about the best prices around if you can wait for the part to be shipped to you. :-X22

1 Excursion camper 01-07-2013 12:43 PM

Probably just the switch. had the same thing happen to mine. replaced the switch and all was good. if you unplug the switch you will probably find brake fluid in it. which is why they issued the recall wiring harness for the switch.

Eric H 01-07-2013 01:24 PM

I did the switch on mine as well. Fixed it in 20 minutes... that included clean up time after I got all the brake fluid off my hands. :)

Wayne Cameron 07-15-2013 10:57 AM

I ran the Self test Diagnostics and did not get a light on RESUME, COAST, or SET/ACC.
What does this mean????? When I try to use the Cruise control, the "Cruise" light comes on but it does not hold the speed. It just decelerates. Anyone have an answer. Could it just be a switch on the master cylinder?

Eric H 07-15-2013 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne Cameron (Post 13341805)
I ran the Self test Diagnostics and did not get a light on RESUME, COAST, or SET/ACC.
What does this mean????? When I try to use the Cruise control, the "Cruise" light comes on but it does not hold the speed. It just decelerates. Anyone have an answer. Could it just be a switch on the master cylinder?

Seeing how the switch on the master cylinder is one of the most common failures I would start there. Look for any leaking brake fluid and ensure the electrical connections are tight and clean.

Wayne Cameron 07-15-2013 02:33 PM

More info on Cruise Control

I just took the vehicle out on the road. engaged the Cruise control. The Cruise light came on but again the vehicle just did not keep the speed. I then hit the brake peddle and the cruise light went off as it should. That tells me the switch on the master cylinder is working. The Off button and the On button on the wheel seem to work while the three on the right side don't. RESUME, SET SPEED, COAST. While doing the Seft Test Diagnostic thos three button gave no response while OFF AND ON did blink the "cruise light" once. Still at a loss......thanks for the response.

Toreador_Diesel 07-15-2013 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mitchell_Texas (Post 12683754)
Hey, having the usual problems with the cruise control. 100k miles on the Ford Excursion. Cruise control stopped working. I took it into the local "stealer." They wanted to charge me 650.00 to fix it. Is this the Cruise control servo or is there an even more expensive part to fix the cruise control?

Where in Texas are you located?

You could be right near me and I could help you pin point the issue.

Between my know-how and the AE scantool, it'll get sorted.

Wayne Cameron 07-16-2013 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel (Post 13342436)

You sent this to me. I am in Buffalo, NY......I'm Wayne. Any ideas about my posts? You seem like you know what is going on. I would appreciate anything you can suggest after reading my posts.
Wayne
Excursion 2000
V10

Wayne Cameron 07-16-2013 12:35 PM

Replacing switches on Excursion Steering wheel

Can anyone tell me how to remove the air bag cover to replace or check the cruise control switches on the steering wheel of my 2000 Excursion. Is there a danger of the air bag going off????

Wayne Cameron 07-21-2013 11:00 AM

HELP!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel (Post 13342436)

I need you expert advice.....Can seem to get it from anyone. When doing the Self test on my Cruise control Everything works fine until I do the three buttons on the right side of the wheel. There is no response (Blinks) for these. I believe my brake switch is Ok as putting on the brake turns off the Cruise Light....Do you think it might be bad switches or a Speed control servo? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wayne

PS: See my previous posts under Cruise Control Problems.

Wayne Cameron 07-25-2013 11:15 AM

Still looking for a reply

I am still awaiting a reply to my problem. When doing the self test on my Excursion The Off button and the On button on the wheel seem to work while the three on the right side don't. RESUME, SET SPEED, COAST. While doing the Self Test Diagnostic those three button gave no response while OFF AND ON did blink the "cruise light" once. Still at a loss......Where can I find out what it means when the three buttons have no response to the Test? I know the buttons on the right side work because they light the "cruise" light when the set button is pressed while driving. HELP!

Toreador_Diesel 07-25-2013 01:18 PM

Sorry I some how missed the replies for this thread...

If you look right below the resevoir, you should see a small sensor attached. This sensor detects when you step on the brakes and disables the cruise control. When this switch either fails or is unplugged, the cruise control will not work.

This is it: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1967&ppt=C0039

mgraveman 07-25-2013 03:07 PM

I am guessing it's the switch on the wheel or the clock spring from the OP's description above.