Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need help front end

Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 AM
hotrodbob51
Senior User
hotrodbob51 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need help front end

I drove the truck to a hot rod meet down some different roads.
Now here is what it does. When you hit a spot in the road like going over big bumps or starting to cross a bridge it wants to take off and go every where.

Now here is what I have done to the front end, new spring bushing and hangars, New king pins,shocks everything I can think of was replaced. Did not replace the springs just took some leafs out. Drag link has all so been rebuild. Front end has been alinged.

Normal it drive straight with no issues just when you kit bad spots in the road.

I have been told that in some cases that is the way the straight axles are. All so to put a front stabalizer on it.

I sure could us some ad vice.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
jaye is starting off with a positive reputation.
I has a straight axle for over 20 years and with bad king pins it didn't do that. Have you had it checked out by an alignment shop (the moving parts) jack the truck up and check the various bushings for snugness. Also check the tires, take the rear tires and put up front and see how the react. How did you adjust your drag link; if I forgotten you have to tightened the end plug tight then back off to the plug until the first cotter pin hole is aligned with the plug, also make sure the parts are installed in the correct order. Did you install axle shims, I used 4 degree shims with the wide part facing forward. Check your king pins your holes may be ob-longed. Once I replaced the king pins on my 55 the truck rode & drove excellent even at 80 mph on the interstate. Do you have power or manual steering, also check the play in your box.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 AM
DR Smith
Posting Guru
DR Smith has a great reputation on FTE.DR Smith has a great reputation on FTE.DR Smith has a great reputation on FTE.DR Smith has a great reputation on FTE.
When I rebuilt my front end I replaced the tie rod with a heavy duty one.The stock one is light and I was told it flexes when under strain.With the heavy one I have no steering issues,

Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 AM
hotrodbob51
Senior User
I am not sure about my shims I am going out and check them. I put new king pins and bushing in it. I will check the drag pin but feel I did just that. I have all new tires. I thing from what I have read is I need to put in 4 degree shims and I am going to get new front springs. I needed to replace them any way.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.
What is the condition of your steering gear box? If you get all the flex and slop out of a straight axle suspension it should not "go all over the place".

Even much newer vehicles with a solid axle ( A SD F250 I used to DD), may occasionally react a little funny to just the right bump. But I think that is mostly caused by an overly heavy spring rate. You don't have to accept dangerous with your old straight axle.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 AM
hotrodbob51
Senior User
Will I just went out and check my shims and they are install wrong. So may maybe that is some of the issue. I see where 4 degree shims work best and what are stock ones are 2 degree. So I will oder them and new springs like I said before.
Oh where can I get the shims from?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.
Local truck suspension shop should have them. they can be ordered online as well from many sources.

I just saw your mention of a steering stabilizer in your first post. Are you running one?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by hotrodbob51 View Post
Will I just went out and check my shims and they are install wrong. So may maybe that is some of the issue.
I think you found the problem. The king pin is supposed to be tilted to the rear to give the caster which is required for the vehicle to go down the road straight and to recover from irregularities.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
I think you found the problem. The king pin is supposed to be tilted to the rear to give the caster which is required for the vehicle to go down the road straight and to recover from irregularities.
What he said! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 AM
hotrodbob51
Senior User
The answer to the strabilizer is no no yet.

And thanks for telling me which way the shim and why. I still see where I need to put in 4 degree one's in.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
You should be good now if nothing is loose. That is a big difference in caster. Should take away that driving on ice feel.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
When these straight axle front ends are "right" there is no need for a steering stabilizer.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
When these straight axle front ends are "right" there is no need for a steering stabilizer.
yup, stabilizers are generally just good for taming down the slack until you have time/money to fix it right.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 AM
WAY2LOW
New User
WAY2LOW is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wider tires in the front help a little too. I ran 275/60's in the rear and 225/60's in the front and it stabilized the whole truck

Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Having the caster correct will certainly make a huge difference. But I also believe some of the problem stems from the removal of leaves from the spring pack. Doing that effectively lessens the load capacity and 'weakens' the spring so the truck sits lower. The unintended consequences are less stability and loss of control from overly compliant suspension. I know a lot of guys do it, but I've never been a fan of removing leaves to lower a truck. Especially in front. I'm glad to hear you're stepping up for new springs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help front end

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.