1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Questions on '05 EB Expy

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 AM
AmmoDawg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on '05 EB Expy

Hey guys,

I had a few questions on my '05 EB Expy and hopefully someone can help me out with some ideas. Let me start by saying that I'm stationed in S. Korea and my Ford is considered a foreign car now (damn)...asked a local shop about trans fluid/filter change and it was going to run me about $200. I'll have to do most of this work at the auto craft shop on the installation. I'm not mechanically challenged but cars are not my thing.

1. The vehicle has recently started "slipping" or not shifting into 3rd gear. No issues going from a stand still and shifts into 2nd but when it gets to about 35-40mph and would be shifting into 3rd, it never finds it and the engine just revs up. If I let up on the throttle a bit you can feel it try to find 3rd and just kid of bobble there. I end up either manually shifting into 2nd and just maintain a smooth speed without too many RPMs or I take it easy until I get to a point where I'm back down at lower speeds and it shifts stays back down in 2nd or shifts to first.

I've searched other threads and one of the simpler starting points with this is a trans fluid and filter change. We got the vehicle at about 56k miles and it's at about 150k and I haven't changed the oil or filter yet...yeah, I know. I figure a oil and filter change is a fairly simple, economical, and possible fix.

2. I know that I've got some damage to my flywheel. The car would "grind" every so often when I tried starting and I figured the starter was going out on me. Prior to shipping, I replaced the starter with a rebuild but when I had it out, I could see that about a 2-3in section of teeth were ground down on two different spots on the flywheel. So needless to say, I figured it would hold out until I got the vehicle to where I could find someone to help me work on it.

Autozone has the flywheel for the automatic trans (Flywheel - Automatic Transmission | 2005 Ford Expedition 2WD 8 Cylinders 5 5.4L EFI SOHC | AutoZone.com) and I'm wondering if this is a pretty straight forward job. I have obvious concerns in that this is a big heavy part of the vehicle I have to remove in order to do this. Someone also mentioned that I should NOT reuse the flywheel bolts and should replace them. If the fluid/filter change was $200, I don't even want to know what I'd get charged for this. What are some of the concerns I need to keep in mind with doing this? Do the Chilton or Haynes manuals have decent instructions on doing this?

3. I've read references to different transmissions...how can I find out what type/model of transmission I have? Is it part of the VIN, in the owners manual, etc?

I've already ordered the filter and gasket kit from Autozone (Transmission Filter (A/T) | 2005 Ford Expedition 2WD 8 Cylinders 5 5.4L EFI SOHC | AutoZone.com) and thought about waiting to order and replace the flywheel at the same time but I don't think the teeth on the flywheel have as much of an impact on the "drive-ability" of the car compared to the trans not shifting properly. Besides, it's basically the oil and gasket I would be replacing at that point if need be.

Anyhow, the amount of info on this forum is crazy and I figure someone's been there or done that so I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Javier

Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
AmmoDawg
New User
Bump, bump, bump...

Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
1. A worn tranny will usually slip in 1st gear. Since yours does not, I would think you're having a restricted fluid flow issue that can be a result of a dirty/clogged filter.

2. If it's a 4WD it's easier to pull the engine rather than the tranny and transfer case. If it's a 2WD then drop the tranny. When ordering the flywheel I would also order the flywheel bolts AND a replacement starter drive. The reason for the starter drive is that the teeth on the starter are likely damaged from the grinding. If you do not change the starter drive you can end up damaging the new flywheel again.

3. I'm fairly certain that all 2003 and up Expeditions and Navigators use the 4R70W transmission.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
A worn clutch will slip in whatever gear that clutch is worn. Saying a worn trans will always slip in first gear is just wrong.

Pulling the engine or trans/transfer case is a matter of personal preference. Some find it easier to pull the engine, some the trans. If it is a two wheel drive the trans is always the easier way to go.

I'm fairly certain the Expedition switched to the 6R80 transmission. There is a blue data tag inside the driver's door opening. On it there will be a TR, and a one letter code below that. That code tells what transmission is in the truck.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 AM
AmmoDawg
New User
I read about a drain plug in the torque converter but couldn't find it after rotating it, what I'm pretty sure was a full time around. I just ended up replacing the fluid and filter and only ended up using about 5 qts. From what I read, it's supposed to nearly 14 qts to refill so I'm thinking the other posts I've read about the torque converter holding nearly half of the trans fluid is where the rest is.

I drove it back home about 5 miles and it felt pretty good but then it slipped again as it hit 3rd. I'm hoping that maybe I need to let it run more and get the fluid flowing then maybe another fluid change.

I'm hoping this is the case because I'm really gonna dread trying to get this thing fixed here in Korea.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by AmmoDawg
I read about a drain plug in the torque converter but couldn't find it after rotating it
It' on the 97 and 98 models only.